June 22nd, 2010

Mexico asks court to reject Arizona immigration law

Mexico on Tuesday filed a brief in federal court in Arizona supporting a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of a tough new immigration law, Mexico's ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan, said on his Twitter account.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico
  1. Andrew Messenger

Can we sanction Mexico?

June 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ramon F. Herrera

For agreeing with the White House?

For agreeing with the US Chamber of Commerce?

For agreeing with all US Churches?

June 22, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GB

Pray tell me, how can another country even sue another country over immigration laws? Or any other law for that matter?
    The President of Mexico needs to step up and bring in some companies that will provide employment for its own people
    The President of Mexico needs to do his own job and stop meddling in ours.
    VIVA Bill 1070!

June 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ramon F. Herrera

"Pray tell me, how can another country even sue another country over immigration laws?"

Ever heard of NAFTA and the (mythical) North American Union??

June 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. brian

someone a few posts back accused everyone of being racist....i am so damn sick of hearing that word i coul puke!i wish we could ban that word..any time any discussion is had,someone fires off the race cannon.can we not have a spirited debate in this country anymore without that crap being brought up?I guess that would make too much sense.

June 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack W

They use that term because they have no logic or facts upon which to base their arguement. It's the only thing they have.

June 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

There are reportedly 200,000 illegal Irish in Boston (and I say reportedly because that's what was reported in a news story). But let's just say there actually were....and say that Massachussetts came down hard on illegals and acted to deport those Irish people. Would there be any screams and arguments of discrimination? Nope. Why? Because they are white. They may cry it's unfair but I can guarantee it wouldn't be a national conversation. Why? Because they are white. Nobody pays attention in this country unless you are a minority, whether the law is fair or unfair, or merited. THe minute a minority screams about something, then it's national interest. This is not a racist statement either, it is a statement of fact.

June 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Doug Havens

Arizona passed a great law! I feel that if the U.S. would reverse the law allowing "anchor babies" born to illegal aliens to become citizens, fewer people would try to get across our borders. The parents of these babies get all the benefits of citizenship mearly because they came here illegally and had a kid on U.S. soil. Our immigration policy is a joke, and Mexico should stay out of our business. An armed militia guarding our border, without influence from politicians and big business, is the best way to close our border.

June 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. brian

grrrrr!!!

June 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NT

I agree with jk all Arizona is doing is what our government should have done all along. Spend the money on ways of preventing illegal aliens from getting into the country rather than waste our money going after a state that IS doing the right thing to protect their economy. I have no idea of how much money our government has wasted on education, heathcare and welfare for illegal aliens, but I'm sure it is substantial. Obama should be learning from Arizona, not going against them. I hope Nebraska is the next successful state to put in tough laws for those that are illegal.

June 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dale

Tell Mexico To Keep its Citizens in MEXICO! You don't like our Laws- STAY OUT OF MY COUNTRY! Or if Your a Citizen Here RENOUNCE Your American Citizenship & LEAVE. I fought for the CITIZENS Not the ILLEGALS.

June 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jimmymack

Mexicans have flooded the southwest. YES!

June 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AgreeswithMcChrystal

GOVERNOR BREWER FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kit

It is very sad to see how ignorance leads to hate. I am a Mexican citizen, US legal resident since 2003. I have always followed every rule and paid for every immigration fee without complaining. I have been employeed, I have paid taxes every year and I contribute to the economy of this country. That does not close my eyes to the sad reality of my birth land. I went to college and have parents that went to college in Mexico. I did not come here to better my life, I came here for other personal reasons. I had everything on my side to get a green card. Most people will never get a green card because it's impossible to have a green card if you are not being sponsored by a) a school to become a student, b) a company that will hire you or c) a family member in the US. It is not just matter of "wanting to be legal", it's about the means to do it. Most people that come to this country want the same things than everybody wants: shelter, food in their mouths, a job, safety for their children. Those are universal needs and values and no border will stop people from pursuing a better life. But before you judge what you don't understand, at least learn the basics: It is a lie that if you come here you become American, you first need to get a green card, then after 5 years you need to prove you can become a citizen, It is a lie that there is reciprocity in he immigration laws between Mexico and the US: US citizens only need their passport to go to Mexico, no questions asked, while Mexicans have to come with their Mexican passport AND a US visa. To get the visitor visa you must pay about $100 to make a phone appointment, then take a whole day off work, be treated like a dog by the American embassy, pay about $300 for application fee and then...maybe and just maybe you will get a visa. 99% get rejected. And that is only for the ones that come here as visitors. Just imagine trying to get a work visa. I love this country and I consider it my home, but this whole Arizona thing has revealed its ugly side, the racism and ignorance that I always called a strerotype of this country.

June 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MartinSA

that's actually a chicken and egg argument. the reason for people coming in with passports and visas in hand is because of the illegal immigrant problem.

June 22, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Good for you that you came here the right way. We American born citizens do not have a problem with legal immigrants... the laws are tough because guess what honey? The people born here have a right to the jobs and resources that this country provides. Let Mexico have the resources that our country has and the free handouts our country gives and lets see how you would feel if you were being overrun with illegals that you had to pay for.

June 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • kit

Not really. It is a reciprocity international thing. Countries that ask for a visa, are normally required to apply for one too. It is a fee that a country applied for letting you in. US citizens are welcome in most countries of the world, no visa necessary. Brazil is one of the few that decided to impose a visa to the US as a response to the US asking visas to Brazilians. And Mexico has not complained about the lack of reciprocity, it is what it is, but to state that coming here will automatically give you anything in return is a lie

June 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eileen A.

Kit, this has nothing to do with racism. Get off that band waggon. It boils down to illegally entering this country regardless of your origin. Mexico is not the problem. It is everybody who is here illegally. We really need to look at this issue through un tainted goggles and do something about every single person who is illegally here & their off spring! You want to come here, do it the right way or you are a law breaker regardless of where you came from.

June 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • kit

Hi Jessica. I do not disagree with most of what you said. The Mexican government is most guilty for this reality. Mexico used to have an equal economy to the US just 50 years ago. Mexicans that lived here back them mostly were Mexican Americans that just happened to live in the States that became US territory, there was no illegal immigration issue )no. Not to the extent that we see today at least. I think Americans have the right to be angry, Mexico needs to fix the problem. But poor, uneducated people that cross the border illegally are just trying to survive, they are also running from the violence. I wish the US was more firm in demanding Mexico to fix its own economy, I akalso wish the Mexican government was removed because it's rotten from the foundation. But it really hurts me to hear people calling Mexicans rats and roaches, to hear people say that all mexicans should be shot. I feel like I should be ashamed to say I am Mexican. And I am not. What has the world come to when your color becomes a problem again, in a country that became a leader in the world for defending freedom and acceptance?

June 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kit

Eileen, if you think this has nothing to do with race, just read this blog's entries.

June 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • MartinSA

I'm not sure how much of it has to do with actual racism vs. dehumanizing of an "other/opposition", but the result is still the same. It's ugly.

June 22, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Do your duty as a citizen and turn in all of the illegals that you know. There is no inherent right for a Mexican national to get a job in the United States.

June 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • kit

Daniel, are you suggesting I need to be deported because I am Mexican? You prove my point about what this has generated. I am a legal resident since 2003 and have not been here illegally for one second, I am a scientists and I work for a major American corporationI have paid every penny in taxes every year, I volunteer in my community, but I should be deported because I am a Mexican national? But this has nothing to do with race?

June 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2ndgenlegaldominican

KIt: This isn't about ignorance or hatred or racism, it's about the United States inability to support everyone on the planet that wants to come here for a better life. We ALL understand the plight of our "neighbors to the south". We ALL can empathize with someone wanting a better life BUT it can't be done ILLEGALLY. The cost to the US is unsustainable. When someone works under the table, doesn't pay taxes, used the ER for all medical issues and doesn't pay, drives without insurance at the peril of those around them and the money they do make they send back to Mexico (conoces Xoom?). NO country can sustain that economic drain indefinitely. I am 2nd gen Dominican legal immigrant so it isn't about race. I know I already said that but people like you keep not hearing it.

June 22, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2ndgenlegaldominican

KIt: This isn't about ignorance or hatred or racism, it's about the United States inability to support everyone on the planet that wants to come here for a better life. I am 2nd gen Dominican legal immigrant so it isn't about race. I know I already said that but people like you keep not hearing it. We ALL understand the plight of our "neighbors to the south". We ALL can empathize with someone wanting a better life BUT it can't be done ILLEGALLY. The cost to the US is unsustainable. When someone works under the table, doesn't pay taxes, used the ER for all medical issues and doesn't pay, drives without insurance at the peril of those around them and the money they do make they send back to Mexico (conoces Xoom?). NO country can sustain that economic drain indefinitely.

June 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • L Kharmona

Kit, let me take this oppurtunity to reply to you. I am now an American citizen by naturalization. Almost every year I go to Mexico in CANCUN and Mexico is beautiful. Not because of this killings, I wanna retire there instead of my birthplace. I could tell you are very educated. I understand your frustration and the pain you're in. I will feel the same thing if I am Mexican. I tried to understand this country. I've been thru, what you've been thru. If you're sitting on a table, you only see the view from your side. Try to sit on the other side of the table, you will see a different view. My work is somewhere in the Medical field. I have a lot of patients that are illegals different backgrounds. Each treatment per patient costs an average of $350.00. This info is about 12- years ago. Three treatments a week, and four weeks a month. You give me the total. Giving birth, costs around $12,000.00 to $14, 000.00 per mother. All these, paid for by the US government. I have a patient from Mexico with four names and all w/ social security numbers. Another patient also from Mexico he brags that him and his wife makes it look as if they were separated and each are getting free money from the US government and they both have jobs. I am telling you as it is. I have no hatred towards Mexicans. This plus the corruption in the government with the government in my opinion been infiltrated by globalists and other countries which resulted to billions of dollars sent to their countries in form of AID. America became broke. We go to wars as dictated by globalists. America spend its money and lives in wars then globaists take over and make profits. America already borrowed money from other countries and this is the truth. We liberated KUWAIT and in return they sold us expensive oil. Arizona politicians have to do their job too. I personally don't blame them no matter how imperfect it is. It is like a boat that there's only a certain number of people you could accomodate. It is painful but they have to make a decision. You can e-mail me.

June 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry in Wisconsin

Mexico should worry more about changing their politics then to challenge ours. I am for Arizona and its enforcing the Federal Law. I also don't have any problem showing my I.D. if and when asked. If thats what it takes to clean up this Country then so be it. If anyone wants to come to America then they should follow the LEGAL rules here. If it is so bad where you come from then maybe you should work on cleaning up your own home land. I believe if you have a problem with this Arizona law then you are either illegal or know someone that is. It is NOT profiling! That is just a label people that disapprove of the law use to creat noise. I say close the borders and use armed guards at all entries and many more patroling the rest of the border. They do this in many, many other countries around the World. Yes it is sad that thing have come to this but leaving things the way they are is allowing this Country to become over whelmed with criminals. I bet we as Americans could find enough LEGAL citizens to volunteer to patrol the borders if the Gov't won't step up and take care of the problem! Mr President you need to grow some nads and take care of business. Close the Borders and kick ALL illegals out of America!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I agree with a lot of what you said, and I do believe that our immigration laws need to be handled in a better way, as in worker permits, easier ways to get visas, etc. However, the Federal Government has not done any of those things in 20 to 30 years. Right now, we have a total influx of illegals coming into Arizona. 80% of them are hardworking honest people, however, they also send a large percentage of their money BACK to Mexico and contribute to Mexico's economy and that IS a fact. Paying the fees to stay here would be a small drop in the bucket and would help our economy as well. 20% of the illegals who come here from Mexico are the dishonest ones. It is a FACT that drug cartels have taken up strongholds in the mountainous areas of SW Arizona (where I was born). They have warned local police to look the other way. They have killed ranchers and law enforcement. The Federal Government continues to ignore what's going on. Border security should be UPMOST. However, this law was not passed by a bunch of racists, it was passed in desperation. The Feds don't care. Arizona is a long way from DC. Lastly, Mexico should try to take care of its own people. THe government there has been corrupt for oh, forever, and no one stays there to try to make it better. The Mexican government is corrupt and so there is a certain hypocrisy to trying to make the US take on their people because they don't want to. You see my point?

June 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Also, to Kit....I have to apologize for some on here, as you point out, that offer up nothing but racial slurs and dehumanizing remarks. I am for the Arizona law, but from a legal standpoint only and actually, if it was harder to get here, it would cut the human traffickers as well, which do way more harm to the people they scam to get here to the US. I also don't want to see any more reports about people dying in the desert as they try to get here in the summertime--woman, children, it's ugly and incredibly sad. I am a native Arizonan and grew up with a mix of everyone! I think you should be proud of your heritage. I love the Southwest for it's rich multicultural backgrounds. I've known nothing else my whole life. I just want people to follow the rules as I have had to, and I want the Feds to do their job so we don't have the bad coming in as fast as the good. I hope you will ignore the ignorant comments of the few. I think you bring a wonderful perspective to this conversation.

June 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jessica

I have to wonder on what grounds does Mexico have any right to file any motion or become part of any motion in a court of the U.S. Seriously on what ground? Mexico need to mind their own D@mn business. I am sick and tired of the bailouts and handouts our country gives to other governments and big business. When the He double LL are we all going to stand up and say enough is enough. What about "We The People"? Why is our government not doing more to secure our borders, boost our economy, bring jobs to our people, and stop places laws on the citizens that illegals will never have to abide by. GO AZ.... we in S.C. support you 100%

June 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TJ

WHEN does Mexico have say in what laws we have...and besides, what is Mexico's benefit??

June 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Honest Abe

I don't know about everybody else but I'M FREAKIN SICK AND TIRED OF MEXICO AND ILLEGAL MEXICANS! I am a public school teacher in California and i cant even begin to tell you of the many problems it has created. it is only getting worse. for you people in the states (i.e. Northeastern states mainly) farthest in distance from mexico, get ready because our southeastern problems are headed your way. its only a matter of time. then youll be singing to a different tune – but itll be toooooo late! Illegals – "Go back where you came from and do it right this time". Mexico – "STFU and stay out of AMERICAN issues no matter what the subject". we shouldve taken over mexico a long time ago. i probably would be living there. now its just a piece of $&!@ in the desert!

June 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honest Abe

oops i meant "southwestern problems"

June 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis Monroy

Honest Abe, most of the Southern States used to be part of Mexico, because the US practically stole the land from Mexico. Now Mexicans are taking those states back. Get used to it looser. And I hope you start learning Spanish. You will need it.

June 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honest Abe

you forgot something stupid: the Mexicans that rule Mexico are European descendents (Spain moron), and they stole that land from the natives that still there with darker skin. you know .... the ones that are the poorest and neglected by your spanish european govt, and willing to die to get to the US. save all that La Raza crap you were brainwashed with. And if youre illegal i hope you and your family a wonderful one way trip back to mejico amigo!

June 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Legal

to Honest Abe: My dear child, I read you and notice the way you write, I could only wonder the results of your teachings. Honestly I find it very sad that you are even qualified to teach. btw did you know that America that is compiled of south, central and north? are you able to comprehend what this means? did you ever travel outside your village? You should also know that there is a good precentage of Americans..well let me say it properly ÛS CITICENS working in Mexico,? did you know=?......

July 31, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JeffnVA

We could impose a 100,000 fine for those wanting come clean and get legal. With 20 million illegals in the USA this would raise Billions for border security. Who wouldn't pay 100k to become an American? Its less than a house and we could let them pay it out over thirty years.

June 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cobalt Dude

Mexico should keep their F'ing fingers out of the U.S.

June 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |