June 23rd, 2010

Security Brief: What happened at McChrystal, Obama meeting

A source close to Gen. Stanley McChrystal provided the first account of what happened in Wednesday's White House meeting between the general and President Barack Obama.

According to the source, McChrystal briefly explained the magazine article at the center of the controversy and took responsibility, then offered his resignation. Obama accepted the resignation, the source said.

The president "had no intention of keeping him," according to the source.

In addition, the source said McChrystal will not return to Afghanistan. His team will go back to pack up on his behalf.

1. J to the T

Some of these posters are idiots. If I badmouth my boss, I will get fired too. End of story. Enough said. He deserve what he got.

Also, to the idiots who keeps glorifying the thought that Obama has no military experience so he has no clue how to handle military operations; my boss has no Information Technology / Information Systems background but yet is my manager. Why? Because my boss can manage people. Obama is clearly doing this. I swear...some of you people are idiots...and I will admit that I am smarter than most Republicans!!

June 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jonnyjustcom

I've figured out what happened here. Did Gen McHistory, .. sorry, McChrystal commit career suicide? Not likely, Its got to be part of a conspiracy. Get the president with 'no military experience' to commit tens of thousands of US troops into enemy territory under your well designed strategy, if he delays in responding, get some fellows to accuse him of dithering, just to nudge him a bit. Once the troops are in, wait a few months then break protocol and arrange a press conference to mock the presidents and members of his administration, the president will have no choice but to fire you or he will be a WEAK president, of course who is going to implement your strategy? No one, now we have an unwinnable war. He should be court martialed as required by Article 88 of the UCMJ – end of

June 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. larry simpson

you have to love adrians dumb comment about obama getting 8 billion to speed up relief efforts. nobody has seen any of it yet except government employees drawing big checks from it

June 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jeffbo

Well Gaaahhhhhlee !!!

June 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DMONT

This all boils down to racisim alot of people cant handle a black person in charge ...but dont want to be labled racist...so they say all this insane talking head phyco babble they hear on tv ...then try to blame everything that happens on him regardless of weather it happened before he was in office or not....it rained today must be obamas fault .....he's the worst president ever!...really his term isnt even over...but because i said this and its the truth im playing the race card...when the truth is these people are clearly racist..but too much of cowards to be honest about it.....thats why they say stuff like he's amarxist or socialist but if you ask them to define these things none can give you an answer...cant get past his skin...god forbid some other than a white person were to fix this mess where in....SHAME

June 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

I see alot of comments saying the military is against President? How many of you making those comments are actually in the military? I have been in for over 20 years now and I am not "Against" the President. There has also been alot of criticism about his lack of military service (not a requirement to be elected). Most Recent Presidents since Eisenhower have had little military experience to speak of. The only requirement we military folk have for our leaders is that if they are going to send troops into harms way, it should be a legitimate and internationally sanctioned requirement. Give us a well-defined mission to execute and let us do our jobs. Then welcome us home to get back to our loved ones.

June 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. redinblue

Yet another Obama failure. He chose this General for Afghanistan and like his other efforts, a failure. Now he put a General in that he called a "failure" in the past and even failed to support him when the far left called him General Betray-us. I can't wait to send this failure of a president home to Chicago in three years.

June 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JOSE

in response to "mainehunter's" remark... shut uuuuuuuuuuup... you don't go spouting off publicly about your boss and not expect any consequences...

June 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mainehunter

Go back to that hole in the birder you crawled through.

June 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jon

This is the worst President of all time for environmental disasters and he doesn't even say anything about it anymore! The economy sucks and he still gives money to big business. Go back to Chicago Mr. President and let someone who is experienced and has had a job before take over. Go back to community organizing (mafia) activities.

June 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anon

Jesus Christ! You Nobamaians are all cultist. You blindly follow any viewpoint, no matter how ascinine, as long as it serves your agenda. Try thinking for yourself once in a lifetime rather than what some other idiot tells you. Some of the things this President have done have been good and some have been failures. Everything is not so black and white when you are not a cultist. It shouldn't matter whether it is a republican or democrat idea, only if it is a right or wrong idea. THINK FOR YOURSELF YOU MINDLESS DRONES! YOU SHOULD BE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT WITHOUT CONSULTING A BIBLE OR FOX NEWS.

June 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ODA155

As a retired soldier who served under this General at other times, in other parts of the world, right now I’m sad… and not for him. As a soldier you learn very early, what General McChrystal did was wrong and unacceptable, it was also unacceptable the first time that he did it when it was forgiven. This general as well as any other would not hesitate to administer the same or harsher justice to any officer accused of what he did. General McChrystal left the President no choice while also shinning a spotlight on other so called “outspoken” general officers who may be out there but not guilty of anything wrong.

General McChrystal got too comfortable, too comfortable in voicing his opinion openly, too comfortable with his staff, his subordinates, too comfortable with his ego being “…worried how history will judge him…” and too comfortable with a reporter. Soldiers (all inclusive, Marine, Sailors, Airmen) know that you complain UP the chain of command and never outside of it. When you complain to subordinates or let them hear you say things about your superiors you compromise that chain of command and you empower them, why else would his staff members say these things about the President, Vice President and others… and he does nothing about it… too comfortable that’s why.

But the real reason for my sadness is for my country, and my Army. My country is hurting and all anyone wants to do is point fingers and call names, especially those who never did a thing to make this a better country than to claim it as their own because they hate this President. My Army because I joined at 17 back in 1976 at a time when being a soldier was still suffering from the military bashers of Vietnam. In those 22 years I served Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush and it truly made no difference to me because I understood what I was there for, I was there to serve my country, and for that reason I never voted for President so that my loyalties were absolutely clear to me… the first time I ever voted was in the 2000 elections when I didn’t have that luxury anymore. I didn’t like all of those men or all of their decisions but I knew what my duty was. Anyway…. We need to make a choice, either get behind this President (check your knives at the door haters) and back this war or get out, it can’t be both ways.

Now, I know many of you out there will make comments to or about me, I don’t care, water off a ducks @ss, but right now, my concern is for the soldiers, and the soldiers, they’ll be fine, they always are.

June 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. H

Having served under both Gen Petraeus and Gen McChrystal, I am truly ecstatic that McChrystal has resigned. With any luck I will be able to fight without my hands tied behind my back by this General. Is anyone else on this thread cognizant of the policies put forth by McChrystal? I think many lives including my own have been saved by this paradigm shift. I have served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and am planning to return to Afghanistan soon, and I must say that President Obama has made many changes for the best in regards to our two-front war. Godspeed General McChrystal.

June 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nonesuch

So, Jim, when were you named the official spokesperson of the military?

June 23, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. marcia

Yawn.

June 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anon

McCrystal is a democrat you idiots. This has nothing to do with political affiliation. You are siding with him for no other reason than you hate Obama. GROW UP!

June 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |