June 23rd, 2010

Security Brief: What happened at McChrystal, Obama meeting

A source close to Gen. Stanley McChrystal provided the first account of what happened in Wednesday's White House meeting between the general and President Barack Obama.

According to the source, McChrystal briefly explained the magazine article at the center of the controversy and took responsibility, then offered his resignation. Obama accepted the resignation, the source said.

The president "had no intention of keeping him," according to the source.

In addition, the source said McChrystal will not return to Afghanistan. His team will go back to pack up on his behalf.

1. Diogenes

The general made the mistake of voting for Obama, so it's fitting that he should be one of the president's victims.

June 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. vee

Least we forget the General is a civilian now and has a whole lot of knowledge about the polictics of this war. I bet he makes the talk show rounds and a tell all book and I hope he tells it all, the truth needs to be known..

June 23, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Drew

No big deal here - McChrystal just needed a little reminder that the President of the United States is his boss. I'd say he gets it now.

June 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fritz

I've put three sons in the Military and all I keep seeing is that all the higherups tend to be Richard heads and that my boys are the ones putting their lives on the line while management types probably sit at their desks eating Twinkies and drinking Tab.

June 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. m

go Obama!

June 23, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nick

Thanks you Mr. President.

McChrystal showed great lack of professionalism and deserved to get fired.

June 23, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. blksolo

Obviously most of you have never served in the military,I was a Marine in Desert Storm and what this guy did is beyond idiotic.Military life is not like civilian life,YOU DO NOT have freedom of speech.He did not just undermine his superior publicly,he undermined the ultimate superior!!. I think he got off lucky,If I had done that when I was in the Marines I would be sending this from the brig while awaiting my court martial!!!

June 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nathanial portis

You may or man not respect the man but you will respect the office of the President of the United States of America

June 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

Simple case of insubordination. End of story. Don't make the general out to be some kind of hero. He isn't. He should have done his duty and kept his opinions to himself. This is why we elect our Commander-in-Chief. If we don't like what he says, we can replace him. And it's his job to replace insubordinates.

June 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GeorgeM

Anyone want to bet they don't let the General retire until dec 2012?

Da Rules:
    (1) Never trust a politician.
    (2) Ambassodors are politicians.
    (3) Presidents are politicans. (even 3rd world country presidents)
    (4) When someone attempts to use you as a patsy, stop playing the game. (Hint: take your marbles and go home)
    (5) Time is on the side of truth.

I smell a rat in Denmark!

June 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael Chapel Hill

The President uses McCrystal's failiure to establish his power," I am the president, I won the election."

June 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. STORYBURNpleases

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that meeting

June 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. flytalk17

Ken, the difference is you are not in the military now, you can say what ever you please. I can't quote chapter and verse from the Uniform Code of Military Justice, but I think you know where I am going here. When you have that uniform on there are things you can and can't say. The General crossed the line and so did his staff. My brothers and I served this country, we were not the political arm of the government we where the military will of it. You serve and follow orders. Soldiers don't have the luxury of opinion, if you did it would create confusion. You would think a general would have learned that a long time ago. Sorry to see him go, but maybe he wanted out....

June 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ben sayaria

Now we are blaming anything Obama does.
    What would you do ?
    We should change this habit.
    Just guess how many
    crisis he facing.

June 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

I think it's hilarious that the second-highest ranking in the military, McChrystal, turned out to be an immature brat and had to be FIRED by Obama, forever shamed in the history books, with nothing to show for himself. Obama should have punched him in the nose. Anyways, this whole "war against terrorism" is a joke in that it can never be won. We've been there for 9 years and what good has come of it? We need to call it quits and start spending our tax dollars in our OWN country. Let the rest of the world waste their money there now.

June 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |