June 23rd, 2010

Security Brief: What happened at McChrystal, Obama meeting

A source close to Gen. Stanley McChrystal provided the first account of what happened in Wednesday's White House meeting between the general and President Barack Obama.

According to the source, McChrystal briefly explained the magazine article at the center of the controversy and took responsibility, then offered his resignation. Obama accepted the resignation, the source said.

The president "had no intention of keeping him," according to the source.

In addition, the source said McChrystal will not return to Afghanistan. His team will go back to pack up on his behalf.

1. leavethehate

All of your hateful words sound ridiculous. I feel sorry for all of you that have left comments trying to cover your racism by calling it political views. Any person that talks badly about your employer will be fired or forced to resign. Why make an argument about this? I get so sick of the back-and-forth. You guys sound so stupid!

June 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

And I'm sick of people like you who claim that any criticism of Obama is based on his race. Despite you pitiful attempts to couch it that way, I will not be cowed and will criticize him as I see fit. If anyone is racist it's you.

June 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jojo j.

@Jim...You can criticize our beloved president all you want (after all America is a free country)...even though your views are so ignorant and worthless, they barely merit my reply. But same as you can (and I guess will) keeping on bashing the POTUS simply because he is either of a different ideological persuasion than yours, or else simply because he belongs to a race that sick people like you thought will never sit in the White House, so also can I, and most certainly WILL I, continue to call it as I see it, and name you the pathetic and anachronistic evolutionary throwback of a misguided hatefilled racist that you so clearly happen to be!

June 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Typical liberal, eh JoJo? I can state my opinion and you will respect my right to do so...as long as it's the same as yours. Way to go with the name-calling...the refuge of the losing side of a discussion.

June 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jojo j.

Jim...First off I not a Liberal. I very conservative when it comes to social matters, and I guesss liberal on foreign policy issues. However why should you gripe when I call you names. You have taken up most of the space on this blog calling your much hated Obama ( a democrat) all sorts of names, why should'nt I feel free to call you some choice names of mine (especially when they names I call you actually truly describe who you are, as opposed to the underserved names you give our beloved POTUS)? You are a stinking racist, and I say that with no appology whatsoever, because some people have to be brave enough to call haters like yourself by your true name. Former President Bush demanded and accepted the resignation of more than five even more senior and highly decorated generals than McChrystal (General Shinseki to name only one), yet none of you racists criticized him then. As soon as Obama (who by the way is half-white; and not just black), accepts the resignation of a general who clearly went to press with criticism that should have remained private according to sacred codes recognized by every sane armed service on the planet, people like you crawl out of your racist woodwork, and begin to assault him. What else besides the XY-Chromosome Barrack Obama got from his Kenyan father distinguishes him from President Bush? Why (if not for your deep-seated racial hatred, and White Supremacism) is it right for President to fire five excellent and highly decorated officers of 4-star rank (who by the way never criticized him openly in the press like McChrystal trashed the Obama Administration), while it remains wrong for Obama to discipline a very clearly out of control general like McChrystal? I am not interested in being politically correct here. Mr. Jim Whatever, you a stinking racist hater of our beloved POTUS, and I very aptly name you such!

June 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jojo j. Correction of Typos...

Jim...First off I not a Liberal. I am very conservative when it comes to social matters, and I guess quite liberal on foreign policy issues. However why should you gripe when I call you names. You have taken up most of the space on this blog calling your much hated (and my beloved) Obama ( a democrat) all sorts of names, why should'nt I feel free to call you some choice names of mine (especially when the names I call you, actually truly describe who you are, as opposed to the underserved names you give our beloved POTUS)? You are a stinking racist, and I say that with no apology whatsoever, because some people have to be brave enough, to call racist haters like yourself by your true name. Former President Bush demanded and accepted, the resignation of more than five even more senior, and highly decorated generals than General McChrystal (General Shinseki to name only one), yet none of you racists criticized him back then for doing so. As soon as Obama (who by the way is half-white; and not just a black man FYI), accepts the resignation of a general; who clearly went to the press (imagine thrashing your boss on Rolling Stones) with criticism that should have best remained private, according to ancient and sacred codes recognized by every sane armed service on this planet, people like you crawl out of your racist "woodwork," and begin to assault him. What else besides the XY-Chromosome Barrack Obama got from his Kenyan father, distinguishes him from President Bush? Why (if not for your deep-seated racial hatred, as well as White Supremacism) is it right for President Bush to fire five excellent and highly decorated officers of 4-star rank (who by the way never criticized him openly in the press like McChrystal trashed the Obama Administration), while it is wrong for President Obama to discipline a very clearly out of control (not to mention highly imprudent) 4-star officer like McChrystal? I am not interested in being politically correct here, my self-important Mr. Jim Whatever. You are a stinking racist hater of our beloved POTUS, and I have very aptly name you such!

June 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Democracy first

MaineHunter, you are definitely a good candidate to take the presidency by force. You could be part of a militia and probably planning the takeover anyway. Way to go Mr. Bill of Rights. I'm glad more than 1/2 of this country does not agree with you. Why don't you move to Afghanistan and try to continue hunting there instead of preaching for more war?

June 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HomerA

I don't understand why everyone is blaming one administration over another for the mess in Afghanistan. The fact is that this is a no win war with no clear outcomes or obvious objectives other than to get Bin Laden. If the Bush administration was so much better at handling the war in Afghanistan, then don't you think they would have made some progress in the first seven years? There is little to show for it other than the loss of 1000+ soldiers and countless civilian deaths. McChrystal behaved inappropriately and regardless of who was in office, he would have been dealt with the same way. Stop this partisan gibberish.

June 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • tall beauty98

AMEN!!

June 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Democracy first

Thank you HomerA. I wonder what happens in this country? Why is it that one party loses its power momentarily and think that they are the only ones they can make things happen? Isn't power a balancing act? Doesn't it move from one end to the other ALL THE TIME? Why does it have to be THAT way?

June 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidINlafayette

GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR ......
      Its a stupid,disgusting war with noting for us to win and another generation of young dead American and Canadian men & women. Yes, I am an AMERICAN, but the Brits and Canadians have stood by us like brothers. DON'T dare talk down to me with this patriotism crap, and 'protecting the American way of life" Its a crock. Every broken hearted mother and father,every vet like me, we need and want heros, but the price is too high and I'm not willing to trade sheep and oil for our sons and daughters. To hell with that. Afganis and Iraqis have lived in hell-holes for centuries and thats fine with me.
      Gee some of you even believe a war boosts the economy. Oh really? The last 9 years have the single greatest factor which has boosted our debt.
      Enough !

June 23, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Terry

In the past, we trusted our President when it came to military decisions because we knew they were speaking from exp. As the President, Especially one with no knowledge of our military or our enemies should give the objective and then let the Generals accomplish how they see fit. It isn't that i don't suport the President but when you get yourself elected off the false idea of ending war, i question if you are the best person to plan how to win it. Biden is even worse because he wants to be in charge, he wants to lead. The best way for him to lead is asked the Armed Forces what do we need to do to win this, then stand back.

June 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Graham

Wow this is one of the few intelligent comments from someone who disagrees with the Obama policy on the Afghan war. I disagree with it but... We should just kick Taliban ass and forget the nation building. Afghans don't want us to rebuild their nation.

Our goals in Afghanistan should be:

1) Kick Taliban ass. (IE, keep them small enough that they can't gain power or control economic resources)
      2) Prevent new terrorist groups from forming and turning Afghanistan into a safe haven
      3) Find Bin Laden if possible. Kill him. No court trial.

This is coming from a pretty liberal person who voted for Obama and I would like our troops to leave Afghanistan. If we do any nation building, it should be the USA.

June 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidINlafayette

...but those general officers and tacticians have failed miserably. They know how to fight these bums? I think not. Bush started it. They kicked our hinney and killed off 7 thousand young Americans and cost us trillions of dollars. Now its Obama's war. he has no military experience. neither did George Bush. His entire military career was at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery. He was a 'pilot'. yeah buddy. he flew from happy hour to happy hour.
      NO ONE CAN WIN THIS WAR. Other's have invaded Afganistan – and died, every single one of them.

June 23, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

@leavethehate: Oh shutup. I'm tired of libs who can't handle criticism and differences of opinion without pulling out the "haters" and "racists" vocabulary. Grow up.

June 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidINlafayette

Tom, take a deep,deep breath and get a life. I see you a Fox News NeoCon which means most of your brain works at half-speed on any given day.
      Its not about hate. Its all about " me,me,me".

June 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • john r

That pathetic jerk McChrystal, should be ordered to do pushups on the white house lawn, court-martialed, and then reduced to PFC for retirement......What an insubordinate excuse for a soldier!

June 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Steve in Saratoga

because Obama has show poor leadership in almost every other regard, including the BP leak fiasco, he needs to "kick some fanny" to demonstrate how he's in charge and a tough guy. Regrettably for the General, his fanny was the easiest target for Obama.

June 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Exactly. His timing was poor and O desperately needed a scapegoat to deflect media attention away from the debacle in the gulf. Unfortunately, the general gave it to him. It doesn't mean that what the general said was wrong.

June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Truthhurts

I cannot stand these screwballs that think the general should not have been booted. He DESERVES to be fired and more. He is not running the show...the PRESIDENT is. Get that your thick skulls? Oh, but then you fools are just conservative republicans who supported Bush and Cheney anyway. What else could be expected from you? The real enemy is you folks!

June 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Wha.....??? The president is running the show???? When did *that* start?

June 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. doug

It was a good thing that the General was fired. After the report came out that he voted for Obama it was painfully clear that McChrystal is a profound idiot.

June 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stevie J

Doug, before you make yourself sound like an idiot oh wait, too late.
      READ THE ARTICLE. The General RESIGNED, he was not fired. READ READ READ
      "McChrystal briefly explained the magazine article at the center of the controversy and took responsibility, then offered his resignation. Obama accepted the resignation"

June 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Perry69

I can tell, by these comments, who have served in the armed services and the yellow cowards that didn't serve.

June 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. redlaw

i cannot believe how uninformed and ignorant obama haters are. it was bush who decided to go to iraq instead of really finding bin laden in afghanistan. now that bush has left haven't you seen how pro oil and pro wall street he was. no regulations on big oil and no regulations on wall street. what does that mean? the country almost financially collapsed. We now have the biggest enviromental disaster. And bid laden is sill out there. Oh great, BUSH you did a find job on getting bid laden.

June 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

You say this but while families were falling in debt and foreclosing on homes, your democratic congress were fully engaged in the steriods scandal in baseball.

June 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nik

@Terry... and many like you are exactly what OP describes...uninformed. Just Haters.

June 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DavidINlafayette

Dumb,dumb,dumb.
    Anyone,even a fry cook at McDonalds knows the boundries. One cannot insult or disrespect the boss. He should have been fired, reduced in rank and sent home, no stops at the White House.
    And General officers have been fired before. Truman fired MacArthur for basically the same stupid behavior. Abraham Lincoln fired 4 or 5.

June 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedom Czar

Yeah – tell that to the soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan who are putting their lives on the line every day. McChrystal was trying to look out for his people.

June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

@Freedom Czar - he sure did a great job helping his people. Now he's been fired and can't help them at all... so smart!

June 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mainehunter

Obama is a girl scout

June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Al

This is bigger than Obama, the General, the Democrat and the Republicans....it is about how AMERICANS....in uniform or not, support or half-heartedly support this campaign. Also, as someone that wore the uniform, regardless of my beliefs; it was my obligation to do or die....march smartly and shut up....if they didnt align, it was my obligation to resign.....can you imagine what other countries and the enemy is thinking?????

June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HT

When I grow-up and get some reading and righten dne,I want to be just like Mainhunter.
    He sure is smart!

June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mainehunter

How about if you just grow up. You really are quite the loser at your young immature age.

June 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatever

Mainehunter, would you just go back to your country of origin, because you certainly do not belong in the USA. We really do not need poser patriots, we need real honest working people, real patriots. Do that before somebody beats you up again...

June 23, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cranky Military Fella

Does this guy seriously know what he is doing? On one hand we have a 4 Star General, who formerly lead the most secret black ops there is, and on the other we have a guy who has faked and lied his way to the WHITE HOUSE, and knows nothing about this war or how to "run" it. Someone needs to fire Nobama, not fire the General.

June 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • producerman

end of an error.

June 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidINlafayette

eh Cranky... go take your meds. Grab a dose of that citrate of magnesium while you're at it.

June 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatever

Cranky, you been doing too much crank? You a meth head, a tweaker? Or are you just plain moron that is still crying about the fact the voters wanted somebody in the White house with good judgement and qualified to lead this country.

You little tweaker you...

June 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |