June 24th, 2010

Man arrested with weapons near G-20 summit site

A 53-year-old man in a car was arrested with five cans of gas and an array of weapons near the G-20 summit site in Toronto, security officials tell CNN's Jeanne Meserve.

Constable Samantha Nulle, with the Peel Regional Police, told CNN an officer pulled over a suspicious vehicle and found the man had gas cans, a crossbow, saws, hatchets, a winch, other weapons and cans filled with unknown substances.

Another official said that the man had pellet guns, chemical products and gas tanks in the car as well. The official said Hazmat teams are testing many of the chemicals right now.

At this point, Nulle said there were no specific signs the incident is linked to the G-20 summit.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Security Brief
  1. gc

way to go coppers!

June 24, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jpat

Good job

June 24, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mindset

Hardware store delivery!

June 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Yep, those are tools, not weapons!

June 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ new

They found a cross bow and a chain saw on this guy.

June 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ new

they found a cross bow and chainsaw on this guy.

June 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The last time I checked, a chain saw isn't considered a weapon. If that were the case, I have an armory here. And crossbows are certainly not an unlawful weapon.
      What *I* saw was two water cans, heaven forbid we have drinking water! Two gasoline cans, certainly an unlawful substance, again I have an armory based upon THAT!
      What *I* see here is some poor SOB getting jacked up for going on a vacation in the woods. Certainly a terrorist event!

June 25, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dianne Foster

Again? Wasn't there an incident like this where a man was arrested with a wide range of weapons – I think it was in Washington DC about 6-12 months ago. Cross-bow and all. Anyone remember the incident?

June 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alex Winter

Another nutjob off the street.

June 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Tarded

So because the guy had a winch, gas cans, and a crossbow, he's a nutjob? I've driven around with gas cans, saws, and a bow before. I wasn't up to anything, I just had a lot of crap in my trunk.

June 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smitty

Exactly, he prob just lives outside town in that car. Cops leave him alone... and CNN stop wasting my time!!!!

June 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richp, Easton, Pa

I have had my jeep loaded down with more than that for a weekend. Add a rifle, couple of pistols and about 2000 rounds of ammo, two or three blitz cans, small propane tank for the grill, etc. Of course this Canada, gotta keep those subjects in line.

June 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

You'll allow things like that in Pennsylvania!!! I thought you'd have to be from the South.

June 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Thanks, Alex. You've called ME a nutjob by extension of your comment. I've loaded my vehicle in a similar manner when I go to my place in the mountains for a weekend getaway or even when I go hunting.
      Of course, I *DO* have ties to a known terrorist organization. I am a decorated veteran of the US Army.
      We terrorized the dickens out of the buffet line!

June 25, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. James

G20 summit = epic fail.

The real criminals are the ones being protected by the police.

June 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaitan

They let you out already?

June 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hosagi Taishou

No the real criminals are the ones who blame anyone but themselves for the problems they face on a day to day basis. Instead of blaminig someone else how about trying to fix your own problems.

June 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Heather

Maybe he was just on his way to the hunting lodge. :op

June 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. damiao

Violence makes violence...stupid http://www.englishtips-self-taught.blogspot.com

June 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lorenzo

Am I missing something? Saws, hatchets, and pellet guns? Are any of these things illegal?

June 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Exactly what I was thinking. I would imagine half of cars on the road have content in them that could sound sinister with the right story.

June 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Xtravert

Good point. I have a tire iron in my trunk. I could be planning on clubbing someone.

June 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brian

Keeping Toronto safe from hordes of vampires.

June 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. paul

arrested the boy scouts on thier way home from a weekend camping out. terrorists every where they just won,t stop.

June 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. hammer33

police have to justify the scandalous security budget, sure we're going to hear about every nutjob and how $1B was good value on a summit about managing fed spending.

June 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smitty

True,,, still don't like your tone,,, Is he a nut job for having tools in his car?

June 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. shartypantz

he was headed to the woods to cook some meth.

June 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. EDDYmonet

That is totally normal stuff to have in your car in Canada. Why did they arrest this poor guy?

June 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Davethecanuck

Lol, yeah so normal... Those are the staples of my lumberjack/survival kit.

June 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darren

yes we all carry all of these things in downtown Toronto one of the largest cities in North America, you never know when you may have to cut down a tree that may be blocking the entrance of the stock exchange on bay street or fill a train at union station that just ran out of gas and yes shoot a moose on Wellington street that is bothering the bankers. LOL

June 24, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. noobs

/facepalm

Anyone who goes camping on a regular basis would have this gear in the car. "Other weapons"... what does that include? Maybe his car(ramming speed), tire iron(hand-to-hand combat), WD40 + lighter(flame thrower), Seat belts(garrote), etc...

This article lists almost zero facts about guilt and motive yet the court of public opinion adjourns again. Grats all.

June 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Yes, people ALWAYS go camping in Downtown Toronto.

June 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • @noobs

"Anyone who goes camping on a regular basis would have this gear in the car"

You're right, I completely forgot that a crossbow is an essential tool for camping enthusiasts. Idiot

June 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smitty

Hey,,, the guy is prob living in the woods somewhere outside town, keeps his tools in the car, (yes a crossbow is a tool to catch food) , and he prob came into town to get supplies,,, why is that so hard to believe ????

June 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sal Gubanali

I take all of that stuff hunting/camping all the time. I bring a .45, a rifle,a pellet gun for drunken fun in the evenings and of course gas. We often bring our bows and I have brought a little crossbow for fun in the evening too. Big Deal!????

June 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |