June 25th, 2010

Kellogg's recalls Corn Pops, Honey Smacks, Froot Loops, Apple Jacks

Kellogg's announced a voluntary recall Friday of certain breakfast cereals including Corn Pops, Honey Smacks, Froot Loops and Apple Jacks, due to an "uncharacteristic off-flavor and smell coming from the liner in the package."

According to a company press release, the potential for serious health problems is low, but some consumers sensitive to the flavor and smell could experience possible temporary symptoms, including nausea and diarrhea.

Post by:
Filed under: Health
  1. Rocio

At least they are not recalling special k that's the one I eat,but what about my kids? They are going to be dissapointed with this

June 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • R

Adapt and overcome

June 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

If your kids are eating these, nothing to worry about. They already have worse health problems in the works.

June 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Ya because all of these people making comments aren't hipocrits and such and waste thier time feeding anything like this ever to thier kids, such as sugary cereals or candy bars or ice cream, they would never do that. I bet they go to church also and then flip people off on the road. Hipocrits.

June 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

Steve- if you're going to call someone a hypocrite, at least spell it right. You come off as less than credible.

June 26, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

Lame comment, Rocio

July 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. evoc

Dissappointed, but alive.

June 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brad

Rocio, don't worry about it- if you don't want to listen to them whine, you should run and get as much of it as you can right now.

June 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

Rocio, what's your address? I'll send you several cases....along with some shrimp from the gulf!

July 1, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Calig

If your kids are eating those cereals, you should be thanking kelloggs for the recall. Maybe you can take the opportunity to be a responsible parent and feed your children healthy food instead of that garbage.

June 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merry Coder

Wow. You're very judgmental. Maybe you should choose what cereal you want to eat and leave the parenting of children to their parents. Just so you know, everyone loves a holier-than-thou, preachy know-it-all.

June 25, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maybe

That was meant for Calig, who obviously lives under a rock.

June 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • R6Rider09

Really?? So not only am I an irresponsible parent, but I'm ruining my own life by eating it too...everything in moderation.

June 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJL

He probably feeds his kids goose doodoo on toast or sauteed rhododendron flowers or some crap like Alice Waters used to feed her poor daughter.

June 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

I supposed I am also a bad parent because I feed my kids frozen chicken nuggetts and allow them to watch movies as well... *GASP* someone take my children away from me!!!!

June 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Yeah, get 'em some bacon and eggs and sausage with plenty of corn syrup over the pancakes.

June 25, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Calig is correct. Processed foods ARE garbage. Your children will grow up to be processed people.

June 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • white

I think you are are somewhat correct.I believe in eating healthy for me and my kids.But I do allow my kids to eat these cereals no more than twice a week.I am an adult and love eating them too and I know they aren't the best of foods but when you eat in moderation I don't believe it can do any harm.

June 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucas13

Calig – Ignorance is bliss. If you think people who buy this junk full of empty calories (sugar no 1 ingredient), food dyes and preservatives will appreciate it you're dreaming. The food giants have already won that battle.

June 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • CC

Get over it Calig and Jake...there are worse things in this world to worry about than my kids eating Fruit Loops...sheesh.

June 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • J. Ripper

Processed people are yummy. Soylent Green is my fave!

June 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

People making comments aren't hipocrits and such and waste thier time feeding anything like this ever to thier kids, such as sugary cereals or candy bars or ice cream, they would never do that. I bet they go to church also and then flip people off on the road. Hipocrits. They go to church and pray for thier own souls and success but not for the real reason of church in the first place is to praise and obey thier creator. 99% of people are hipocrits and think they are the good ones 🙂

June 25, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dhalikias

i have to agree with calig. if kids are going to eat that crap, they should be educated. i never totally banned those cereals in my house, but i explained they were full of sugar and they could only be eaten as dessert.
      as we've discovered from the oil gusher, we can't continue to rely on large corporations to self regulate.

June 27, 2010 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

My kid has to have extra fiber due to health issues...she already eats fiber bars at lunch and celery and yet with out a fiber cereal has problems...these are the only ones that I can get her to eat a good amount of....maybe you should be less judgmental!

June 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MM

I kind of agree with you Calig..I mean I don't think parents should give kids these cereals to start their day – WAY too full of sugar – it 's complete processed crap – how could they sit there and concentrate in school afterwards? THey would have a sugar high and then crash. BUT, some parents do give a handful of these cereals as a "treat" for dessert once in a while.

July 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Dont talk smack about peoples parenting because of a cereal. It shows that you obviously know nothing about it, and that you probably profusely abuse your children by stripping them of the fun they need in their young lives. Kellogg's cereals (sugary or not) have nothing to do with parenting you idiot.

August 7, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. K Henderson

Lol @ diarrhea.

June 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

Cha Cha Cha

I've had explosive diarrhea for over a month now.....maybe this is why. I live on Froot Loops!

July 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Calvin Hobbes

Are these from China?

June 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. FreeHighFives

Calig- They are kids dude. Are you going to take away their video games next? Way to go way over the top on something that didn't warrant it.

June 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Globe trotter

All in the name of cost cutting and saving a penny to the bottom line; what these idiots dont realize is that they end up paying hundred times more by the cost of the recall and lost sales and other law suits that are already lining up. Gone are the days when mad in America meant quality products across the world – I am sure the package liner was made in China.

June 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Wrong, recalling them is the only thing to do. The money is in repeat sales, not in selling contaminated cereal. A lot of people are still afraid of Peter Pan peanut butter, despite it being made in a different factory in a different state now. We'd stop buying Smucker's if it had real smuck in it, for example.

June 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

If they smell like toxic waste/a garbage dump then they are probably made with paper that comes from China. They seem to have no concept of the need to use clean water over there and use dirty water in manufacturing all the time. I once bought some Chinese pencils and they smelled very strongly of urine. Had to throw them away stat.

June 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I'm sure more than 90% of the items in your home are made in China. Why don't you throw them all away?

June 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

The urine smelly pencils weren't from China. I peed on them. Stop making me mad.

July 1, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maybe

Calig-You are an idiot. So feeding my child Fruit Loops makes me irresponsible? You obviously live under a rock. Why don't you go back under and hide, idiot.

June 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreeHighFives

He's not going to respond I don't think.

June 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maybe

I think you're right. It's probably better that way.

June 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MM

that is a little bit irresponsible actually.

July 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kit-Kat

NOOOOOOOO!!!! NOT Apple JACKS!! AHHHH!!! Does that mean I should throw out my

June 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kit-Kat

11 boxes Dang it!

June 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Amy

They're grrrrross!

June 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Harry

Gee I wonder why America has such problems with obesity. You guys Calig is right. Those "Cerials" ARE junk that is harmful to your kids diet. But hey if you want your kids looking like the Michelin Man go right ahead.

June 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maybe

Have you ever heard of the word "moderation"? Let's spell it. Thats M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-ON. Let kids live a little. For your information, I ate fruit loops as a kid and I'm not obese at all. People like you who say comments like this are just plain ignorant. Period.
      Signing off so I can go eat a big bowl of fruit loops.

June 25, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

They're not that bad, sugar can't make you as fat as high fat food and/or overeating. I eat Fruit Loops all the time and I am probably in as good or better shape than you are (also I just graduated law school and have a great job lined up... so I can't say Fruit Loops ruined my life...), also my teeth are fine. I think you need to read some objective information on nutrition before you start giving such over the top opinions on it. But hey Harry, I'm sure you are in great shape, went to Harvard and make tons of money right?

June 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • MM

I agree with you Harry – I am a parent and work in the field of child nutrition – kids shouldn't start their day with that crap. "moderation" isn't a few times a week either – it would be maybe once a month if the kids really wanted a "treat".

July 13, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tina

I'm curious how a smell and flavor can cause diarrhea? I think there is something that isn't being told here.

June 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

Maybe diarrhea is their 'secret ingredient'

July 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |