July 7th, 2010
12:22 PM ET

U.S. unseals charges against 5 al Qaeda members

[Updated at 1:21 p.m.] British police arrested a terror suspect wanted by the United States, they announced Wednesday.

Abid Naseer, 24, was held Wednesday after the United States requested his extradition to face charges of supporting terrorists and plotting "to use a destructive device," London's Metropolitan Police announced. He is due to appear in court Wednesday, police said.

A British court earlier this year found that Naseer "was an al Qaeda operative who posed and still poses a serious threat to the national security of the United Kingdom." The court was considering whether he could be deported to Pakistan, where he comes from. It ruled that he could not because of the risk he would be tortured there. His arrest Wednesday is the latest stage in a saga that has had Naseer in and out of the British court system for more than a year.

He was among a group of men arrested, in a high-profile sweep in April 2009, on suspicion of plotting a terrorist attack designed to cause mass casualties in England. They were seized after a top British counterterrorism officer, Bob Quick, allowed himself to be photographed carrying secret documents in a manner such that they could be read. But none of the men was ever charged. Quick resigned.

Then in May, the Special Immigration Appeals Commission ruled that Naseer and Ahmad Faraz Khan faced a risk of being tortured if they were sent back to their native Pakistan and blocked their deportation on European human rights grounds. The commission was convinced that Naseer had sent to an al Qaeda contact coded e-mails, in which Naseer used girls' names to mean ingredients in explosives and indicated when the attack would take place by saying he would get married then.

"We will have many guests attending the party," he told his al Qaeda contact in an e-mail reproduced in court judgment.

But the immigration commission said it had seen no evidence that the men handled explosives.

"There are pointers to an imminent attack ... but ... we are unable to determine whether Naseer and his associates would, in fact, have been able to carry out an attack intended to cause mass casualties between 15 and 20 April" 2009, the court said in its judgment.

British Home Secretary Theresa May, who is responsible for domestic security, said she was "disappointed" by the ruling in May.

The commission relied partly on secret evidence in making its decision.

[Posted at 12:17 p.m.] The United States Department of Justice has unsealed charges against five alleged al Qaeda members, including key operative Adnan Shukrijumah, connected to the September 2009 New York subway bomb plot, and a plot to attack another target in the UK. The charges reveal the plot uncovered in September 2009 involving Najibullah Zazi was allegedly directed by senior al Qaeda leadership in Pakistan. One of the suspects was arrested in England on Wednesday, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Security Brief
soundoff (3 Responses)
  1. TRegan

    not all the muslims are terrorists, but all the terrorists are muslim

    July 7, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carlos

    moderate the comment on the blog simple, peace of cake

    July 7, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |