July 11th, 2010

At least 9 killed in two Uganda bombings

[Updated at 10:10 p.m.] At least six Americans are among those injured in Sunday's bombings in Kampala, Uganda, CNN has confirmed.

Read the full CNN.com report

[Updated at 6:50 p.m.] At least nine people have died in pair of bombings that struck a restaurant and a rugby ground in Uganda's capital as patrons gathered to watch Sunday's World Cup final, police said.

Nine people died and five were wounded at an Ethiopian restaurant in Kampala, police spokeswoman Judith Nabakooba said. But there was a yet-undetermined number of fatalities and injuries at a rugby field where other fans gathered to watch Sunday night's match between Spain and the Netherlands, Nabakooba said.

Earlier, police indicated that at least 40 people had been killed in the two bombings.

The bombs went off within 25 minutes of each other shortly after 10 p.m. (3 p.m. ET), as fans gathered in both locations. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for what Nabakooba called "definite acts of terrorism."

Islamic militants battling Somalia's U.N.-backed transitional government have threatened attacks on Uganda and Burundi, which contribute troops to an African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia. But Nabakooba said the investigation of Sunday's bombings is not yet focused on any specific group.

[Posted at 6:08 p.m.] At least 40 people have died in a pair of bombings that struck a restaurant and a rugby club in Uganda's capital as patrons gathered to watch Sunday's World Cup final, police said.

Journalist Samson Ntale contributed to this report for CNN.

Post by:
Filed under: Uganda • World
  1. frank

all the other media outlets are reporting 20 – 50 killed. way to stay on top of the game CNN

July 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Barry77

More blood and body parts to sacrifice to the evil Muslim deity allah for the religion of pieces.

July 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AM

There were American missionaries injured and possibly killed in the bombing of the restaurant, they are my friends. Please pray for their safety and care. As well as my Ugandan friends who are still missing.

July 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jinn the Kafir

I guess it is un-Islamic to watch the World Cup final if the two opposing teams are infidel nations.

July 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. independent

Someone has just twittered that there were Peace Corps vols there too. Horrible tragedy for everyone.

July 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jon

Religious extremeism from any source is not something that is good. Regardless of your religious views, our thoughts and prayers should be going out to those who have lost loved ones. My wife, two children, and I just returned from Uganda on Monday. It is a very beautiful country full of wonderful and beauiful people. We made many friends while we were there and were very shocked and concerned to learn of this tragedy. Instead of throwing e-darts, maybe we should just look at ways to help each other understand humanity and the worth of every human god has created. By the way, if you have never been to Uganda do not show your ignorance by making obsurd political comments. simply leave those to the radicals and politicians.

July 11, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark

Well here we go again, another band of bloodthirsty Muslims trying to kill as many people as they can in the name of Allah and to thwart the freedom of society.

July 11, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nick Digital

My condolences to the families of the victims. And "AM" I also have friends from America and Kenya who are in Kampala right now, so I know how you feel. I will be praying and hoping for the best for your friends.

July 11, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RITA K. WAGENER

What a tragedy that happened in my homeland. Condolences to the families going through the unimaginable.

July 11, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AM

All of my American friends are alive but 5 out of the 6 are injured, some very badly. I'm still waiting to hear about my Ugandan friends

July 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick Digital

Im sorry to hear that, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

July 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Saied

This was politica like 99% of all violence is. It was a tragedy, and lets not throw dirt on each others religions just because we disagree with each others beliefs. I'm a Muslim and theres not a muslim or christian or jew I know that doesn't just feel sad about this horrible event right after such a great world cup. damn man.

July 11, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lee

condolence to the affected families and Uganda in general. What's does one gain by killing innocent human beings?

July 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • StevieT

Maybe the spread of the Muslim faith and Sharia law. What do you think?

July 11, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Achali

What a tragedy!!.. Let me hope that the perpetrators of this heinous crime will be apprehended and brought to book. My condolences to the families of all those who have lost their lives in this incident

July 11, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jonathan

We can't wait...we knowwww it's nobody else but them....ok Perhaps it's somebody who want to get them blamed for it..LOL 🙂

July 11, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dennis

Muslims are disgusting pigs – just like their "prophet" Mohammed.

July 11, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |