July 11th, 2010

'Barefoot Bandit' arrested in Bahamas

Colton Harris-Moore, a U.S. fugitive dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit," was arrested Sunday in the Bahamas, radio station Love 97 FM told CNN.

Harris-Moore, 19, was taken into police custody on the northern island of Eleuthera, said Love 97's Nikia Deveaux, quoting Glen Miller, assistant commissioner of the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

Police were planning to provide more details about the arrest later Sunday morning, Deveaux said.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • World
  1. blake sinclair

Camano Island is full of kids like this. Californians should NOT move here.

July 11, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. A. Toburen

Great work. Unfortunately, he'll probably be prosecuted and imprisoned there.

Now we need to take steps to ensure that his crime spree and total disdain for his fellow citizens put him away for good and no profits are allowed to go to him or his mother.. Who's apparently planning to agrandise and exploit him.

July 11, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Cardozo

I've had an adventurous life but I've never had to break the law in doing so, other then a few speeding tickets in my younger days. The mother sounds like she's got some real mental issues of her own.....

July 12, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. NICK PAPATONIS CNNAUSTINTX ON TWITTER

CNN BROKE THIS STORY... PAYS TO BE ON TWITTER ATLANTA

July 11, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. thecrabpillow

This kid was freaking amazing! He stole cars, boats and planes and law enforcement spent millions to try and catch him and they couldn't keep up. I think they should make a movie about him. If you don't think he is awesome, you should go back to bed, Grandpa.

July 11, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

What's awesome about a criminal...............................
      Whether they are smart, dumb, young, old. They still consume the resources of society and in the end everybody pays. Would he be so awesome if he were running around killing people,

July 11, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • JayneO

This kid may be be full of spunk, adventure blah blah blah...but don't minimize what he has done, what he has cost other people and all the laws he has broken. Holy Crap...he's had a richer life???? pulleeezzz
      Plenty of people use their talents "for good" instead of "for self"

July 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mesamanp47

You are freakin weird crab pillow. Don't overheat your little brain wondering about a film, Michael Moore is probably talking to the little twit's low density momma as we speak. The only attention this garrulous little miscreant deserves is that given to him by equally arrogant, narcissists like yourself. But then I guess geeks live in a world of their own.

July 11, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadDad32

A movie is a great idea. Adventure toys, even a Saturday am cartoon about his escapades. Just make sure ALL the procedes go to his victims!

July 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sanja

Kid's a d-bag who is lucky to have not been shot while stealing countless items. Have fun in a federal "pound you in the a** prison". You're going to look real cute to some of those lifers.

July 11, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. sally

awww, bummer!!! it was so entertaining to watch the news every month and see what new crazy thing he'd stolen. at the same time, you gotta hate him cuz he's a criminal. 🙁 but he sure was pretty darn impressive!

July 11, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. tunisia

Man I was hoping they didn't catch him for a while.That kid is pretty smart he stole a plane here in Indiana who does that?

July 11, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kamranbird

I'm pretty sure this guy stole a plane from my town's tiny airport.

July 11, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. jmr

Well, this is sad. I hope this kid becomes rich and famous from his exploits. If only all kids his age had his sense of adventure, curiosity, and courage, the U.S. would have a brighter future ahead for it. Colton is quite remarkable and does not deserve to live the life of a nobody loser like the rest of us.

July 11, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Do you seriously think that if all kids were criminals hiding out and stealing for a living we would Have a better future. Well he is an idiot for giving up his life to a prison. So if all of us teenagers acted like him then where in the hell would we be. We would be selfish people hiding out and to stupid to use our intelligence for something more productive. If that's the kind of society you want to live in then you are an idiot as well.

July 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

Sarcasm is apparently difficult for some to recognize ... your comments were obviously tongue-in-cheek ... and humorous IMO

July 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Common Sense

While the kid had a streak for adventure and was adept at his life of crime, for jmr to describe Colton as quite remarkable does affirm jmr's own admission that Jmr is a loser. I'm sure we will all hear his mother say how it wasn't his fault, then she will try to make millions because she coddled him and sucked at basic parenting skills called disciplining him when he was a rug rat.

July 11, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Abe Normal

Wow! 1 week and they got him. He ran around the Pac NW for 2 years and nothing. Man, would I feel totally embarrassed if I was an officer of the law up there. At least this person is over 18 now and will go to real prison. Hope he does a bunch of years there and then gets extradited to America to do a bunch more years in prison.

July 11, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Unknown

How could they not catch this kid but can catch most of the people from Americas Most Wanted . I wouldve done the same thing if I was in a halfway house .

July 11, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. sarah

This kid wrecked havoc in my town. So many people are mad and he is always on the local news. I am So glad they found him along with many other people in my community. I can't believe people want to make a movie out of this. Why would someone want to glorify a teenager who made a name for himself by stealing and hiding out. What kind of life did he just make for himself?

July 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter Cardozo

I still can't understand why some arrogant punk ass hole would actually have followers praising his mis-guided conquests! He's a low-life thief who deserves several years in jail to jolt his mind back to reality. There's nothing "
    Robin Hood" about what he's done. He broke the law and deserves to be severely punished. I hope he rots in jail!

July 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brandon

I believe what I admire about him and many others isn't his criminal tendencies but the way he eluded capture and led an adventurous life. A life that is ingrained in all of us Americans. That sense of just going out and doing what you feel like. We love the underdog, it's amazing that he could have escaped capture for 2 years after everything he has done. Not saying they were good things but they were great in there actions. How many of us want a boat? He took one. How many wanted to learn to fly an airplane but never found the time or the resources? He did. The thing is, he lived so many peoples dreams; though he did them criminally. I believe he has led a life in 2 years that many wish to accomplish in 70. I have admiration and respect for what he did but a crime was committed (several) and so he pays the price. I hope it was worth it to him.

July 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Accipiter

Brandon – I agree. While he did break the law, I admire his courage to go out and have adventure. So many people sit in their unhappy cubicles day after day, hearing about all the things this kid did, probably wishing they could have an adventurous life like that too.

And all the people here spouting their self-righteous disdain at this boy probably have just a seed of admiration that they're not willing to admit they have. The kid is an adventurer, and even though he broke the law, he had a richer life than a lot of us ever will.

I think the best ending to this story would be if he escaped from prison. Good luck to you, Barefoot Bandit! May your days take you on more adventures!

July 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |