July 12th, 2010

Police: Shooter kills self, two others in workplace attack

Police respond to a workplace shooting in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Monday.

[Updated at 5:44 p.m., July 12] Three people - not six, as police initially said - are dead after Monday's shooting at a business in Albuquerque, according to Police Chief Ray Schultz.

The three dead include the shooter, who turned a gun on himself, according to police.

[Updated at 2:58 p.m., July 12] A former employee shot and killed five people at a business Monday in Albuquerque before turning the gun on herself, New Mexico authorities said.

Police said officers responded to a 911 call at 9:26 a.m. (11:26 a.m. ET) that multiple shots had been fired. When officers entered the building, they found a total of 10 people shot: four were dead, including a man believed to be the shooter, officials said. CNN mistakenly reported earlier that the shooter was believed to be a woman.

Are you there? Please send your pictures, videos and stories to CNN's iReport.com

Two people have died as a result of gunshot wounds, two are in stable condition, and two others are receiving emergency medical attention, police said.

"We believe this incident to be a domestic-violence workplace situation," Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said.

One of the victims, Schultz said, is believed to be the wife or girlfriend of the shooter, who was a current employee at Emcore Coporation.

According to CNN affiliate KRQE, police said the shooter had been involved in a past domestic violence incident.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Arglebargle

Time to outlaw domestics so there are no more disputes over them.

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brad

I have a concealed weapons license, had she opened fire around me, I'd have killed her and killed her quickly, maybe saving my life and many others.

Criminals don't respect gun laws BTW, in case nobody knew. I suspect a very large lawsuit against the company for not protecting its employee's properly.

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • JomoDaMusicMan

Brad, u probably would have ended up in prison because when your supervisor crept up on u, to see if u were lollygagging on the job. u would have pulled your concealed weapon and shot him or her dead. Many gun owners usually kill someone they love or their child get this weapon and kill himself or some other child

July 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • hindqtr

JomoDaMusicMan,

Brad plainly stated "opened fire around me"... this clearly excluded the boss creeping up behind to check on you... now if the boss went nuts and "opened fire" around me, (or Brad) killing people, Brad and I would clear the room so you wouldn't get hurt either!

July 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Phil

@ MG Arizona

I tried to follow your rant but it only ended up in mass confusion.

Let me put it this way. You can't 'uninvent' guns. They will always be around. If you disarm a society, you take away the ability for everyone to defend themselves. Criminals will always have them. If they know we don't have them – then we're easy targets.

I carry concealed EVERYWHERE I go...REGARDLESS of what the sign on the entrance says. The criminal mind isn't deterred by a sign on a door that says "concealed weapons not allowed".

Gun control isn't the answer. It goes back to what I just said a few lines up. Criminals will always have them – but gun control activists can't see that...because they're morons...they think it's the ultimate answer to the problem.

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunt

Those who neither own nor use spears can still be impailed on them.

July 12, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brian

Calm donw everyone. No one is going to take your guns away.

There are enough guns for everyone a thousand times over.

Have fun

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunt

Just because no one will succeed doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about their effort.

July 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jon Mallory

Sometimes those idiots in the office with their gossiping and office politics really need a "final solutions" to shut them up.
    With guns everywhere people will be nicer they won't cut you off verbally or in cars. GUNS ARE THE GREAT EQUALIZER.

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • tilmeismoney

Jon, five out of ten shots isn't bad shooting, what kind of gun was it?

July 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

I have a question for you wingnuts – when was the last time you heard of a citizen (non-law enforcement officer) using their legal gun to defend against an attacker? I can't recall the last time I have. I do, however, know of several people who own guns who have had them stolen. A lot of good your legally-purchased gun does when it's in the hands of a criminal. It's the easy access to guns that law-abiding citizens have that makes it easy for criminals to get their hands on them.

This whole "cars kill people so lets take them away" argument is the most asinine argument I've ever heard. Cars are designed for transportation and can be used (extremely infrequently) as a weapon. I have personally seen someone murdered with a car – it's not pleasant. But a gun is designed for one thing – killing.

I personally would rather have a disgruntled coworker come at me with a baseball bat or a knife than a gun. If this wacko had used any other weapon, there's no chance there would be 5 people dead right now.

July 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunt

Actually, we who own guns rather commonly hear of armed citizens defending themselves from violent criminals. Of the 12K or so homicides each year, a slight majority are legally justified shootings.

July 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. logan

Bottom line, if she didn't have easy access to a firearm this wouldn't have happened. v

July 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunt

Define "easy access." A person wants to get a gun they work harder to obtain one thru the black market but the deed is still doable. Mexico darned near bans guns, yet they're awash in Venezuelan, Korean and Israeli- imported full and semi-autos.

July 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tara

cnn is misreporting, the shooter is a man, not a woman

July 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brad

Look its going to happen one way or another people are getting stupid but wouldn't most of you feel better knowing if someone did this that if you had a gun you would be able to protect yourself? Their is really no safe way when dealing with stupid people and guns ok the only safe way is to have a cop in every place in the USA and lets face it that is just impossible.

Look you can scream and jump up and down saying that no one can have guns but let me just say this I use guns all the time I use them to put food on the table to go and have some fun with friends out at the range. I can swear to you that I will never shoot someone unless it is to protect my life or the life of my family and friends ok I think that you should never shoot someone over property because lets face it property can be replace people cant but if you think for one minuet that I am just going to let someone pull a gun on me and shoot me then you got another thing coming because I will drop that person whoever it is without a problem I like my life I like living so remember pull a gun on me if you dare but don't think that I wont shoot you for doing it. But remember try not to kill the person just shoot to disable if you are scared of guns but want to learn how to use them so you can get over your fear please just ask someone if they would be willing to show you how it works or take a class I personally recommend taking a class on gun safety.

July 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Burqueno

Why is CNN the only news source claiming the assailant is a woman?

July 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • hindqtr

Probably Cuz CNN'ers are idiots who think they have to be the first one in the new litter box... kinda like a cat.

July 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John

Himself, see yahoo. was not a woman.

July 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lorel

Shanks,

Those stats are from 2003. A bit outdated but yes, I do agree with you, Albuquerque did not paint a pretty picture of its self when I was there in the 1980s. Would I still go there to visit? yes. But I would avoid areas known for crime.

July 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SeriousLee?

Come on CNN, get he facts correct my god. It was a male that did the shooting, not a female......

July 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. YayGuns

Knives kill more people each year than do guns in the United States.
    We need knife control!!!!!! No one can own knives!!!!!!

Look it up and be amazed!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dustman

So was it a male or female shooter? CNN is saying a female, but MSNBC and Foxnews are saying it was a male?

July 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |