July 12th, 2010

Police: Shooter kills self, two others in workplace attack

Police respond to a workplace shooting in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Monday.

[Updated at 5:44 p.m., July 12] Three people - not six, as police initially said - are dead after Monday's shooting at a business in Albuquerque, according to Police Chief Ray Schultz.

The three dead include the shooter, who turned a gun on himself, according to police.

[Updated at 2:58 p.m., July 12] A former employee shot and killed five people at a business Monday in Albuquerque before turning the gun on herself, New Mexico authorities said.

Police said officers responded to a 911 call at 9:26 a.m. (11:26 a.m. ET) that multiple shots had been fired. When officers entered the building, they found a total of 10 people shot: four were dead, including a man believed to be the shooter, officials said. CNN mistakenly reported earlier that the shooter was believed to be a woman.

Are you there? Please send your pictures, videos and stories to CNN's iReport.com

Two people have died as a result of gunshot wounds, two are in stable condition, and two others are receiving emergency medical attention, police said.

"We believe this incident to be a domestic-violence workplace situation," Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said.

One of the victims, Schultz said, is believed to be the wife or girlfriend of the shooter, who was a current employee at Emcore Coporation.

According to CNN affiliate KRQE, police said the shooter had been involved in a past domestic violence incident.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Traci

totally agrees with Matt!

July 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. what da douce

I bet is was a white man...whites are the only ones that will do these kind of violence... disagree? look at our past history of these kinds of violence....

July 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

It wasn't a man at all, dear.

July 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • MuDdLe

Wrong.

The article was just now updated: She was a Pygmy.

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • what da douce

opps...meant woman... sorry sonesuch.

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Plano

It was a woman. Please read

July 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

IIn terms of this type of violence. Who invented the drive by shootings? It wasn’t a white guy…

July 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MissV

Your response was not only racist but also unntelligent. Murdering any innocent person is wrong no matter which race.

July 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mile High Colt

Pete,
      You might want to check your history on that. The mob during prohibition did plenty of drive-bys.

July 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • S in KY

I hope you're ambidextrous – you need to put both feet in your mouth since it was not a white male.

July 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • tilmeismoney

It wa my exwife.

July 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NE Indiana

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. He could have used a knife or a bomb. Thank goodness we have guns in order to protect our homes and families!

July 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Of course

You people act as if taking away guns from citizens will keep guns off the streets. If I owned a gun (which I do not) and I were looking to take advantage of people, the first place I'd go would be a place where no one was allowed to carry a gun. Criminals won't stop carrying guns if there are laws against them...but then that's logic...blame it on the right to own guns, not the idiots that will find a way to get a gun regardless of the laws...RIDICULOUS.

July 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JB

The key word in Civilian would be civil which I think means respect.

July 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brad

Look people need to understand that lots of people have guns and a few of them are stupid instead of dealing with their problems like adults they decide to be childish and do stupid things like this. Their is a easy fix for this problem though stupid people don't get guns.

Remember guns are not the bad ones, all a gun is is a tool it the person behind it that is the danger not the gun itself. I say this because ask yourself if this happened to you and you had a gun what would you do with it? I know what I would do I would shoot that crazy ass and save myself and my coworker granted you will probably get fire but hell I would rather be fired the killed.

So remember if you want to take away all guns then only law enforcement and the military will have guns oh and bad people will also have them so you are making it easier for bad people to kill you because they will have the guns and you will have nothing to stop them with.

So please remember guns are not bad they are just a tool the bad thing is when stupid people get them and do stupid things like this with them I say keep the guns kill stupid people before they kill you.

Thanks

Brad

July 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mleddy

Guns don't kill people! People kill People! People who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun should be allowed to carry at work! Anyone who thinks that we should not have the right to bear arms should read the history behind why this amendment is so important or go live in countries that are under control by dictators. I specifically made a decision to get licensed when I read one of these articles less then a year ago. It is unfortunate that individual companies can restrict me from carrying my weapons at work. I understand why most employers are not comfortable with this but it prevents me from protecting myself. Could I or my family sue my employer if I was hurt or killed because they failed to protect me, especially if they restricted my ability to protect myself?

July 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DownTownBrown

....That's beyond ignorant. If this guy had a hammer, he wouldn't have killed 6 people. Sorry. Your fear-loathing gun buddies don't save lives. They stand around like the rest of the gawkers. Please link me 5 or more news stories of some gun advocate saving lives with their guns. It doesn't happen.

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jody

DownTown, I would encourage you to visit frontsight.com and you will find all of the video testimonies you need of law abiding citizens stopping bad guys because they were carrying concelaed weapons and properly trained.

July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conic

There was a home invasion in the house across the street from me. The invader kicked in the door, saw the family and just started shooting. The wife was hit. Luckily, the homeowner (husband) had a gun nearby. He shot the home invader thus ending the invasion. Luckily, the wife had just been grazed and survived. The home invader died from complications about a week later.

Notice the home invader didn't ask the home owner if he had a gun or not. He just kicked in the door and started shooting. If the home owner didn't have a gun to stop the invader, most likely at least one or all of that family would be dead today!.

There. There's one instance for you. I'm sure there are many, many others! I was against people owning guns until this happened.

July 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Instead of grieving along with the victims and their families please make this about politics, liberals versus conservatives and gun control.. It just shows your true lack of humanity..

I personally will grieve for the victims and their families.

July 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andrew

Yah!! I want to walk around with a Glock..just waitin on someone else wantin to start a fight..then all of us can 'fire at will' and those of us still satndin ...win...Damn..i love Amerika...!!
    Ooops...sorry..was that your wife???

July 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Xasthur

It tool that makes it too easy, a tool that if everyone had one would lead to this kind of thing happening everyday.

July 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. steven

Anytime I hear one of these stories, I think "save the world a lot of grief and just use that damn gun on yourself first" I'd consider an act of heroism if these psychos just wasted themselves and leave the innocent bystanders alone.

July 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MG Arizona

Yes gun is just a tool but it makes it easy to kill someone. But there is no point insecure conservatives will always disagree they will always want to carry weapons, in civilized countries (thanks for correcting me).

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick

I'm sure if guns were banned, this lady would have said, "Hey, I can't take this gun and go shoot people at work because carrying a gun is illegal."

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. David Arizona

Really, MG? civilian country? I am a conservative, and yes, I disagree with you. You can choose not to own/carry a gun, and I hope you never get attacked by a criminal with a gun. We need good citizens carrying guns to keep these criminals from going on rampages and killing multiple, victims. A law against carrying guns is not going to keep the bad guys from carrying them; it only keeps the good people from defending themselves against criminals, right? How are the laws against illegal drugs doing in keeping everyone from using them?

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frustrated

Require everyone to carry a gun and you will surely create anarchy. There is no simple answer to the problem. I am not a supporter of the 2nd amendment but understand that situations like the one today need a viable solution. I don't know what that solution is but I know what it isn't. Yes, people kill people but with the ability to carry a gun, you have to admit that the propensity to use it, whether justified or not, is obviously increased as opposed to not carrying a gun. That is why we have law enforcement. Again, I understand that they generally don't/can't respond until the crime has been committed but I truly believe that if you allow careless, uneducated people (i.e. the American masses), it only makes a bad situation worse. Peace to all.

July 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Poacher

Getting a gun is faster and easier than getting your dry cleaning. What kind of a society can have a tool to end one's life at their disposal? How does that make sense? Guns need to be banned. Period!! How many innocent people have suffered these gun violences.

July 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |