July 19th, 2010

U.S. sends carrier to South Korea

The aircraft carrier USS George Washington

The United States is sending the aircraft carrier USS George Washington to South Korea this week in a display of "the strength of our alliance and our constant readiness to defend the Republic of Korea," the ship's commander said Monday.

The visit comes after months of heightened tensions on the Korean peninsula after the sinking of a South Korean warship in a torpedo attack in March. A multinational inquiry found North Korea responsible for the attack on the corvette Cheonan, in which 46 South Korean sailors were killed. North Korea has denied any connection with the attack and said it is the victim of an international conspiracy.

Earlier this month, the United Nations formally denounced the sinking of the Cheonan, but did not specifically mention North Korea.

In anticipation of the U.S. announcement, Pyongyang at the weekend said the presence of the carrier would be a "reckless provocation," according to the state-run Korean Central News Agency. It said the U.S. and South Korea were trying to save face after suffering a "diplomatic defeat" in the United Nations.

Two U.S. destroyers will also join the George Washington for its call in the port of Busan. A third destroyer will visit Chinhae, U.S. Forces Korea said. The four-day port call begins Wednesday.

"The U.S. Navy maintains a robust forward presence in the Asia-Pacific region and the people of the Republic of Korea are our good friends and allies," George Washington commanding officer Capt. David Lausman said in a statement Monday.

The 97,000-ton George Washington, based in Yokosuka, Japan, is the only U.S. carrier whose home port is outside the United States.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • South Korea
  1. kklinkz

I VOTED FOR OBAMA, CAN I GET MY VOTE BACK? Obama goes to behind the scenes general (POWELL) concerning military matters. OBAMA is well liked by the chinese government !!! They know TEAM OBAMA has even used Chairman Mao as a role model!! To make matters worse China owns much of the US debt. CHINA KNOWS THE PAPER TIGER AND HIS NAME IS OBAMA!! LET THE BOWING AND APOLOGIZING BEGIN BY OBAMA!!

July 20, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. BeenThere

They're coming! Watch out South Korean girls! Lawyers prepare.

July 20, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Josheek

I have family in S. Korea. While I wish that this would end, conflict could cause more of my relatives to be harmed. My cousin died on the sunken ship. I'm not looking forward to losing any more family in the near future because of a separation that was made due to irresponsible handling of situations during/after WW2.

July 20, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Debbie

Our son serves aboard the USS George Washington. God speed them all home, but in the meantime, all of the speculation does nothing–I know the Lord can protect my son and all of his shipmates, wherever they are in the world. Worry begins where faith ends.

July 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Doodledandy

good grief you really believe you're the good guys.. search iraq birth defects you've trashed the country

July 27, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CHN ARM

who knows how to shoot down USS George Washington ?

August 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CLINTON PT

USS George Washington visit is a HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!, China can not miss second chance to kill her. I am worry about my son very much. Obama !!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jayman419

I didn't think CNN got past the filters. I guess they gotta get their .25 cents somewhere.

September 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. buy sustanon

Now you could have your new site and also you’re keen to begin making some gross sales! However, how will you make gross sales if you happen to would not have excessive volumes of tourists to your website?

May 5, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |