July 21st, 2010

IMF cancels Haiti's $268 million debt

The executive board of the International Monetary Fund approved Wednesday the cancellation of Haiti's $268 million debt to the fund.

The board also approved a three-year request by authorities to support Haiti's reconstruction and growth program.

The decisions are part of an effort to support Haiti's longer-term reconstruction plans after the January 12 earthquake, which killed more than 200,000 people and destroyed much of the country's infrastructure.

Read the full story on CNN.com

Read more on Haiti's recovery efforts six months after the earthquake

Post by:
Filed under: Haiti
  1. rational1977

Jennifer CA, people like you prefer to wait on others to get it right. I prefer to take action. We want prosperity for Haiti, our methods are just different.

July 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer CA

I'm not waiting on anyone. In fact I'm tired of waiting to hear something good happening for Haiti. Instead, all we get is news about after 6 months people are still dying, unemployed and homeless. Releasing Haiti from their debt is an IMMEDIATE way to redirect government funds to hospitals and humaintarian groups. The only action you are calling for is a moratorium on reproducing and religion. How is that supposed to help them today? Your methods are meaningless, heartless and border on barbaric. If you really wanted prosperity for Haiti you would be happy to see that they now have a means of pulling themselves out of this.

July 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stan

Why care if Haiti's debt is forgiven...someone please elaborate, espescially when you are comparing millions to the TRILLIONS that we owe...and it's IMF money not American...do you understand the difference between millions and trillions rational1977

July 21, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stan

Yeah espescially my white wife,ProudPatriot..they all hate me..lol. What about our debt fool

July 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ProudPatriot

Sure she is; that's as old as, "Some of my best friends are (insert race here)." I didn't say anyone hates you. You've made that assumption very clear on your own. Just like you've assumed that all others on here that disagree with you are racist. Once again, not my words; yours.

July 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stephen

The IMF don't just cancel debts without something in return. What I'd like to know is what they gave up or sacrificed in order for the debt to be canceled?

July 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonja

What they gave up is 200,000 lives and what little existing infrastructure the country posessed

July 26, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |