July 26th, 2010

Boy walking days after 16 story plunge

Less than a week after falling 16 stories from an apartment balcony, a 15-year-old New Zealand boy was walking around a hospital Monday and was expected to be released later this week, according to news reports from New Zealand.

Jason Epps-Eades, who manages the Proximity Apartments in Manukau City, New Zealand, said the teen plunged through the roof of a parking structure before hitting the concrete below, Radio New Zealand reported, which may have broken his fall and saved his life.

The boy suffered only broken bones and was expected to be released from Middlemore Hospital later this week, Radio New Zealand reported.

According to a report in the New Zealand Herald, the teen stunned his parents and doctors by getting up from his hospital bed and walking on Monday.

Epps-Eades told the Herald the boy plunged 14 stories before hitting the metal-webbed carpark roof in a spot without metal or concrete bracing, which cushioned his fall just enough for him to survive the fall of the final two stories to the garage floor.

Police were called by a resident who saw the teen plunge past his balcony, the Herald reported.

Officials told the Herald they did not know why the boy fell. Inspections found the glass-and-steel balcony to be safe, the report said.

Post by:
Filed under: New Zealand
  1. jimmy

I have to say, God is pretty random when it comes to intervention; he chooses to intervene, or not to, based on a bunch of apparently random reasons. He lets people die, and let others live, without an obvious explanation. What's that? Oh. He works in mysterious ways? You mean apparently random ways?

July 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heliocentric

God works in patently sadistic ways, apparently...

July 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cindy

How about in randomly mysterious ways?

July 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. total

You religious people are something else. It can't be because of luck or fate, it has to be explained away by God. How about he was in the right place to fall. Religion is the cause of most problems in society today.

July 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I find it funny that an atheist believes in faith...

July 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

*fate

July 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesus mows my lawn

I agree,everything is spun into some "gods will" mumbo jumbo. They never can just admit that it was random,and the kid was lucky.

July 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lacrosseson

"Lucky!"–Napoleon Dynamite

July 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

"I was in Canada hunting Wolverines. We shot like 50 of them." – Napoleon Dynamite

July 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Big Bang

God has nothing to do with it. Luck is what it is. Has anyone seen the latest space telescope pictures of the begining of time. Didn't see God or any spiritual being in any of them. My opinion.

July 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Recneps

To paraphrase Einstein "The Universe is too ordered to be random".

July 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. robert

I think all these religious comments, both pro and con, are like farts ( internal gas ). Everybody has them but it is best to vent them in private.

July 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmm

In 200 B.C., people in China used natural gas to make salt.
      Explain that you crazy idea man with your opinions.

July 26, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Prentiss

To Total- And the rest are caused by insipid morons like you

July 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PHIL

So we're all puppets? We have no control only "god" does? What nonsense.

July 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Terri

Wow, so many people thanking god that a kid fell 14 stories. Do they all really believe god was involved? Do you thank him when the kid dies? Thank you god for taking my baby, I am sure you need him more than I did....BS

July 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmm

God didn't take your baby silly goose...it was the Crab People. They have a plan for your baby though so don't worry.

July 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abraham Lincoln

Crab people, crab people, taste like crab, talk like people, crab people, crab people.

July 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jak

i bet that kid will make a killin at the slots

July 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kraznodar

Actually I protected him by retroactively thinking "wow! He survived!" after the fact. I am just that divine. Basic physics had nothing to do with it.

I have found nothing in the bible that says God will protect you from bad things unless you are one of his prophets and even then most of them had some pretty rough times too. Thank God for being alive but please don't delude yourself into thinking he micromanages every detail. If He does micromanage then it is his fault people sin and that would make Him the devil. I just don't buy it.

July 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. norf

i hate you god. you sent an angel to push the little boy off the ledge, and that's wrong.

July 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • god

Hey, hey, hey now, I may be a little jittery after that coffee this morning, and I only meant to nudge him a bit but....yeah I guess I f-ed up....

July 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Believing

Just because God allows something to happen, doesn't mean He caused it. Sure, He is able to step in and prevent bad things, but that sometimes that doesn't support His plan. For instance, He could have removed Jesus from the cross. But no, He allowed His perfect son to be cruicified so that we all, through faith, may be saved. In this case He protected this boy from death, to carry out His misterious plan.

July 26, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • God

Please stop with all the "God allows certain events to transpire because he has some great, hidden, cosmic agenda which will ultimately benefit all creation in the end". I was bored, OK? Just b-o-r-e-d....

July 26, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Believing

Terri, people aren't "thanking God that the kid fell 14 stories", but thanking God for protecting him from death.

July 26, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

Thanking an imaginary being for something, anything, is just silly....but did god push him off the building so he could then "save" him?

July 26, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sensible Ray

Did God Create Man or Man Create / invent God ?
    Who created God ?
    Is Jesus God or Son of god ?
    My god more power full than your god ?
    My daddy stronger than your daddy ?
    My daddy got a bigger car than your daddy ?

Really !! Come you guys and gals !! Do you see where this debate ( debacle ) about god is going

July 26, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |