July 26th, 2010

Serial killer in Philippines targets expats, their gadgets

Police in Philippines are on the hunt for a “gadget-obsessed” man suspected of murdering three foreigners in separate attacks in the northern city of Angeles.

The victims - an American, a Canadian and a Briton - were among nine alleged victims of 28-year-old Mark Dizon, The Philippine Star newspaper reported Monday.

"We are launching a massive manhunt against Dizon," the city police chief told ABS-CBN news station.

Dizon, a computer technician and reflexologist, is suspected of killing retired U.S. Air Force serviceman Albert Mitchell, 70, his wife, Janet Andrenada, 53, and their three domestic helpers last Thursday, the newspaper reported.

He is also suspected in the killing of Briton James Porter, 51, and his 22-year-old Filipina girlfriend in their home a few days earlier. Police also suspect Dizon killed Canadian passport-holder Geoffrey Bennun, 60, and his 20-year-old Filipina girlfriend on July 12.

Police alleged Dizon shot his victims, all of whom he had known, with a 9mm pistol, then stole their electronic gadgets, which he then pawned.

Police said a pawn shop owner surrendered a laptop, camera, and cellular phone which were believed to have been pawned by Dizon.

Authorities said Dizon seemed to have an “abnormal obsession” with gadgets, as he robbed his victims of their laptops and other digital equipment, leaving behind jewelry and other personal valuables.

“It is possible that the suspect wanted some information on the computers that could enable him to transfer bank accounts or get access to the pensions of the foreigners,” city police chief Senior Superintendent Danny Bautista was quoted as saying.

Luisito Tan, a police commander, told the Philippines Inquirer that an expat living in the city, who asked not to be identified, has offered P100,000 (US$2,168) to anyone who could provide information that would lead to Dizon’s arrest.

Post by:
Filed under: Philippines
  1. Bubba

Serial killer? There's an app for that-no, stop! Aargh! Help!

July 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

Sick.. but funny

July 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • ha

kk....funny

July 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • becky bolton

James Bolton was my dad. he was not a pedo or anything you are trying to say. he was 50 and she was 22 so what there are millions of men doing it. he loved her and she him. he was just there on a long holiday after being made redundant. he didnt deserve this. he has 3 kids and 6 grandkids and we all miss him and cant believe hes gone.
      none of them deserved it. mark dizon is a sicko

July 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

Darn, now i have to cancel my trip to the philippines with all my gadgets that i carry. Darn it

July 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • PapaJohn

You stupid M#$%%%^^%R, he killed 9 people!!! And all you idiots are making fun of this story!!! What a bunch of pathetic human beings you all r!!!

July 27, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
    • brixx

He's already been arrested.

July 27, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • gem

bob,just come to the philippines and carry all your gadget and put GOD to your heart and you are always be safe..happy trip and God speed..

July 28, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. kite005

51 and 60 with 22 and 20 yr olds? Bet it was true love, maybe it was but it just doesn't sound right.

July 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eather bunny

Who said anything about true love, who really cares you think it " doesnt sound right". so some older guys got their freak on with some much younger ladies. I bet you a middle aged woman, right?

July 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXTraveler

Kite005 – There are different cultures in other countries that believe that there is nothing wrong with an older man dating a younger woman. OPEN your eyes up, they are not in the strict USA!

July 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nydesi

Not worse than 80 yr old Hugh Hefner and his bunnies, money buys everything.

July 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fireman

TXTraveler: Be real, everyone knows most 20 yr olds there wouldn't be with 60 yr+ men if not for the money and security . Its a very poor country and its obvious the deal, Ex-pat gets young tail, young tail lives the good life. If they brought those 20 yr olds over to the U.S. they'd be eyeballing men their own age in no time and be gone. I not saying true love doesn't happen like that but the majority know the deal. BTW my wife is Flipina but were 38 and 32 and she born and raised there.

July 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

its all about $$$.

July 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • wanderlust

It sounds like ithe Phillipines is a great place to retire!

July 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

We don't want to touch you, Allison...that's why we're looking for women in other countries.

July 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drale

Allison stfu no one cares what you think about anything, bimbo

July 26, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Informed

Hey Allison: Don't forget conceited also.

July 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Hey Allison-I'm a very attractive guy in my late 20's and I have lots of money. Hate to burst your bubble but I wouldn't touch you either- I don't like high maintenance wannabe princesses-I'd like to have girls that never say no to me adn don't mind me having multiple partners. if that's you, then let's tal k;)

July 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bierman

@Allison: You weren't raised in a 3rd world country surrounded by crippling poverty and zero prospects of ever having enough money to pay for anything at all. Not medicine, not food, not enough to care for your parents, not enough to care for your children: faced with bitter facts like that, your easy life of comparative frivolity afforded to you by the wealthy nation in which you live is a luxury these young women will never face.

When choosing a mate, women over there are forced with young, handsome and poverty stricken or middle aged and with enough money to provide for them for the rest of their lives.

Pretty girls generally don't marry poor boys in our country either, they have better options.

July 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • beat_me

You're freakin' right kite!

July 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr Reality

Shame on all you hot rich American guys for being unkind to this hot 20 year old American girl who calls herself Allison.... yes yes, we all know someday she will be 25 and all she will be left with is her dull personality and no hot body. And for sure, around this time the rich American hot guy she is dating will dump her in the gutter forever for another dull but hot 20 year old American girl. All I say is don't go all willy nilly and bring down this girl who calls herself Allison with the reality that she has a short window of opportunity to enjoy all the attention. Let her enjoy it and let the rest of us enjoy her hot 20 year old body until it gets ruined in a few years. Allison, don't listen to the rich American hot guys, they do not value your mouth or what comes from it.

July 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • bukkae

Oh we value her mouth alright!

July 26, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick Bangkok

People have been murdered. Where is your compassion? My condolences to the families and friends of all these victims.

July 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • AFD

As a 56 year-old man with a 24 year-old girlfriend, I can tell you it happens. And contrary to what some may think, at least in my case, it has little to do with money. Try maturity, loyalty, mutual respect, and love-making where both partners are satisfied, and of course, chemistry. More interesting to me is why the article writer felt the need to write the ages of those killed. I guess the above reaction was just what the writer hoped to generate. Rest in peace for those who were murdered and the full weight of the law for the killer. Killing for baubles–there's a real loser for you.

July 26, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • becky bolton

James Bolton was my dad. he was not a pedo or anything you are trying to say. he was 50 and she was 22 so what there are millions of men doing it. he was just there on a long holiday after being made redundant. he didnt deserve this. he has 3 kids and 6 grandkids and we all miss him and cant believe hes gone.
      none of them deserved it. mark dizon is a sicko and it should of been him not my dad

July 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • gem

well age does'nt matter my dear..your comment is out on the story..leave them alone..anyway they are already in peace.

July 28, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. David

This doesn't sound like a serial killer to me. It sounds like he's a thief who doesn't have a problem with killing people.

July 26, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

A serial killer is someone who kills different people over a period of time....that is what this guy did....he also happened to steal their things, but he is a serial killer just the same

July 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Not entirely sympathetic

Murder is absolutely NOT OK, but 51 and 60 yr old men with 20-something "girlfriends" living in someone else's country won't exactly win you alot of sympathy.

July 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXTraveler

Murder is murder no matter how you look at it. So sympathy should be the norm here. Men dating younger women has nothing to do with it "Not Entirely Sympathetic"

July 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrBo

What do their relationships have to do with the severity of their murders...?

July 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry Lawton

So what part diminishes your sympathy for their murder? Having a 20-something girlfriend, or living in another country?

Actually, in Angeles City that's not an unusual situation. Perhaps you shouldn't travel to places that are outside your present comprehension.

Or, perhaps you should.

July 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manny

I agree with you, and if Mark knows the history of his country, which I think he does, it is more of a reason.
      I could not see my 20 yr old dauther running with someone older then me.

July 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bierman

Because these women were young with older men, their lives are meaningless? Have you ever seen what a young woman is faced with in a 3rd world nation?

Get off of your high horse.

July 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

1st of all, the issue is ALL about killing, not about dating a person 40 years younger than you..
      2nd of all, It happens, we don't have to tell the whole world about it.
      3rd of all, It's them, and not YOU. Sorry if you can't do that, and they can.

July 26, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat2011

they won't get a lot of "sympathhy" becaue of they are 50 year olds with 20 year old girlfriends? Says who? You are either a big fat-middle aged American woman who no American male wants or you are a a jealous middle-aged male who is jealous because you don't have the resources to travel to a foreign country and get a beautiful 20 year old.

July 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • jannet ray

All you out there are so worried about they old men and young ladies, did you forget about the family and his employees. Al Mitchell he was a married man of more than twenty years. He was very in love with his wife. He had 8 children who are suffering with the loss of there father. The children loved there dad very much. This man who murdered him is very sick and there needs to be justice.

March 30, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TagalogHumor

I heard he resented being considered just a lowly Tagalog... [ symbol crash ]

July 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. m

Sounds like this serial killer has relationship problems with women.

July 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert W.

I am sorry that I spent most of the time I was reading the article trying to figure out the definition of an "expat". I suppose I would have said "foreigner’s permanently living in the Philippines". But at least I learned a new word.

July 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catherine

Expat is short for expatriate, a person living in a country other than their own.

July 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

/facepalm/ You're kidding, right?

July 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tonysgirl

Robert W...You took the words right out of my mouth. Expat was a new word for me, too. And thank you to the person below for giving the definition.
      As far as the article goes...sounds like this guy must think that someone has something of his, like a microchip with something very valuable on it. (I know, I watch too many movies.

July 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Hard to feel sorry for a 60 year old who has a 20 year old Filipina girlfriend. I mean who's he kidding

July 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

Remind me to leave my iPod at home next trip to the Philippines.

July 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeroy

Remind me to leave my 18 year old wife at home!!!

July 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff

Expat is Ex patriot meaning your were once an American Citizen, but now live in another country besides America.

July 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Ex-Pat is an American citizen (not a former American citizen) that lives in a foreign country.

July 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • wootdude

Holy crap, dude, are you serious? Ex-patriot? Try using google before you post something. No offense, but that did sound pretty stupid.

July 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weaselbear

It is actually short for expatriate....and not limited to Americans.

July 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zingo

"Obsession with gadgets" is an affliction I had myself, 'cept the only thing I
    murdered was my checkbook.

July 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. morgan

man you guys are so jealolus, I'm 42 and my girl is 20 and we live in north america and don't have any guns to our heads 🙂 It's just that in the USA most people have their anus in a knot. Go over to europe to open your eyes and realize why half the globe wants us nuked for our prejudices. Not all 20 years old are america (re: stupid ditzy and fake with collage, botox and silicone)... some are intellectual, but the conservative right could never imagine that!

July 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph

You're still sick

July 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betweenlines

It's good to be young and have options in a free country (like those older men who have money and choices).

July 26, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rational Thought

Jeff its "Expatriate" not ex patriot, ...

July 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kba

It seems to me that this guy is targeting dirty old men who entice these young women to live with them and while I don't say he's right, you can certainly understand why he would do that. I've lived in Singapore and the Middle East and these girls will do anything to attach themselves to an expat. The poverty in the Philippines is devastating and this is one way out – sell your body to the fat, rich, old expats. My guess is this guy is seeking revenge. Who knows, maybe his sister did that and now he's out to get anyone he can. I think the taking of the gadgets is just an added bonus.

July 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry Lawton

While your speculating, I suppose you think that 53 year old Janet would have appreciated you calling her a young woman.

Or perhaps you just have your head in a dark place.

July 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manny

I agree, you hit the nail right on the head. If some one say otherwise they need to go back and redo kindergarten.

July 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I think the guy was tarketing any foreigner who was there for awhile, they just happened to have girlfriends. I think the odds for targeting a foreigner who didn't have anyone would have been the same.

July 26, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • den

it seems that you underestimate the philippines go to this country and you will see, though this is a developing country but not as poor as you think.....

July 28, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • gem

nah.. you people are out on the story,your jumping to other story tales,not only the phipilippines has a problem of poverty but the whole world.

July 28, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |