July 26th, 2010

Serial killer in Philippines targets expats, their gadgets

Police in Philippines are on the hunt for a “gadget-obsessed” man suspected of murdering three foreigners in separate attacks in the northern city of Angeles.

The victims - an American, a Canadian and a Briton - were among nine alleged victims of 28-year-old Mark Dizon, The Philippine Star newspaper reported Monday.

"We are launching a massive manhunt against Dizon," the city police chief told ABS-CBN news station.

Dizon, a computer technician and reflexologist, is suspected of killing retired U.S. Air Force serviceman Albert Mitchell, 70, his wife, Janet Andrenada, 53, and their three domestic helpers last Thursday, the newspaper reported.

He is also suspected in the killing of Briton James Porter, 51, and his 22-year-old Filipina girlfriend in their home a few days earlier. Police also suspect Dizon killed Canadian passport-holder Geoffrey Bennun, 60, and his 20-year-old Filipina girlfriend on July 12.

Police alleged Dizon shot his victims, all of whom he had known, with a 9mm pistol, then stole their electronic gadgets, which he then pawned.

Police said a pawn shop owner surrendered a laptop, camera, and cellular phone which were believed to have been pawned by Dizon.

Authorities said Dizon seemed to have an “abnormal obsession” with gadgets, as he robbed his victims of their laptops and other digital equipment, leaving behind jewelry and other personal valuables.

“It is possible that the suspect wanted some information on the computers that could enable him to transfer bank accounts or get access to the pensions of the foreigners,” city police chief Senior Superintendent Danny Bautista was quoted as saying.

Luisito Tan, a police commander, told the Philippines Inquirer that an expat living in the city, who asked not to be identified, has offered P100,000 (US$2,168) to anyone who could provide information that would lead to Dizon’s arrest.

Post by:
Filed under: Philippines
  1. Blue Dog Jones

I have been to the Philippines twice now. I would never marry another American woman again. Philipino women are 10 times better than any American woman.

July 26, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • sickofit

because you know ALL American women.

July 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • herlittledogtoo

im american,i would take any filipina over a american woman anyday,yes im married to a filipina,and i like balut,lol

July 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Blue Dog Jones

I am headed back to the Philippines around April to May time frame. I am thinking about retiring there some day. Pilipino people in general are wonderful people as well. America could learn a lot from the Pilipino people but most people in the USA have never been outside the USA and they do not realize how well people in the USA have it. The USA has just become a country of whiners.

July 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Truethat. 🙂 I don't understand why people are so judgmental sometimes, never been to that place but the way they criticize it, is bad than being a pregnant at the age of 16. haha

July 26, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. oopipip

it has been reported that Dizon's former girlfriend, Mitchell's daugher, went to USA to live with American

July 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MarkD

I'm just wondering what the age difference has to be before it's your fault that you are murdered.

July 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. simdog

60 year old with 20 something girlfriend......... at least he died happy!

July 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TXTraveler

Fireman: You're 100% correct but the point is that it's acceptable in the Philippines just like it's acceptable in Thailand and other countries. I've been to both many times, dated women from both and I know for a fact that the majority of these women's parents are pleased that their daughter is dating an American that is older, wiser and is financially stable verses guys their own age. A lot of women there do not want to date guys their own age and prefer older men. Is it it right or wrong? Who is to judge execept for the ones that are in that type of relationship. I myself have dated an Filipina for three years that was a lot younger than me and I do know it was not because of the money. So to each their own. The Filipinas are very kind and caring people that have a hard time making ends meet in their own country. They are not like our spoiled and lazy young people that we have in the USA.

July 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I agree with what you say. Most Americans think that the Filipino acts like your typical young American female. I married a Filipino and it took 3 years for us to finally tie the knot. If she was a gold-digger, she would have moved on to someone else. Not saying that all Filipinos are innocent, but there's more than you would think.

July 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Agree to the both of you. Marrying a person 20 yr old younger than you or so is way better than being pregnant at the age of 16, looking for foster parents, giving your baby to other people as if you're just sharing a piece of your chocolate, and practicing abortion!.

July 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gumbashaah

Pee-Pee Pino!

July 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TXTraveler

Final comment: If an older man is involved with a much younger women in the Philippines or any other country then that is their business. It doesn't matter what others think or what the true intentions behind the relationship is. He's getting what he wants and she's getting what she wants, so no big deal actually! It's just the closed minded people that like to pass judgement that it really bothers IMO.

July 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lights Out

You are so right. What the hell does age difference have to do with anything. If they're both of legal age, it's their business. There are advantages to both parties in these relationships.

July 26, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betweenlines

Absolutely Lights Out- I just find it funny how the men are made to be victims hunted down by young women.

July 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hubert

victims all have significantly younger Filipina girlfriends

July 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Andrey

I bet his own girlfriend dumped him and moved in with an old geezer twice his age and that pushed the guy over the edge. Stealing electronics was probably just for the money.

July 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kennuth

I like Asian women better than American "biatches"!! They take care of their men instead of trying to BE ONE!

July 26, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betweenlines

Guess you haven't met many women in America then. What exactly is "being a man"? Going out to work? I work and look after my kids when I get home while my husband sits on the lounge (because he had a hard day). Being a man indeed.

July 26, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blue Dog Jones

You are so right. American women try to be and act like men but with no, DDick. Philipino women are more feminine, loving, caring and I can go on and on. Until I meet my first Philipino woman I never really understood what real love was all about between an man and a woman.

Sorry American girls, you sux.

July 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ArSoN

This may serve as a warning for those Filipino women who wants to get rich by the use or marrying foreigners...

July 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

It just serves as a warning that even though we all say we want to move away from the USA someday, that maybe it's best for us to stay put.

July 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betweenlines

What about those rich foreigners who want to pay for someone to do what they are told and have the bragging rights of a young piece of flesh on their arms. Hehe if these old farts married them , these girls would divorce them in a flash and take the cash- lol some think these girls live to look after them haha.

July 26, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • gem

its just happen that american men search a young modest pilipina women because they love pilipina women the way they taking care there american husband,and the way they respect thier matrimonal,you found out the right women you gonna love till the rest of your life,i love pilipino..

July 28, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. susanna

Why has this turned into a forum of how these guys were dating younger ladies?? Who cares, the story is about a guy out there murdering foreigners.

July 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

truethat!

July 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

..and their wives, girlfriends and domestic helpers.

July 26, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • reese

you are absolutely right, the topic is all about a guy who murdered ex-pats and not a DOM marrying a young girl.

July 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mortred

Lol TX...finally it comes out. You were saying all that to defend the fat slobs because you did the exact same thing. I'm not saying what you had wasn't real, but I'm willing to bet that a 40 year old difference, vs an actually feasible 20 year old difference is not the same. In the cases of the victims it is almost surely the gold digger/fat greedy slob scenario. Who am I to judge? Well I'm sick of disgusting people in the world and while murder is not right I feel this Dizon is delivering a form of (albeit pretty ridiculous) capital punishment.
    Turn this into a movie, portraying Dizon as the protagonist. Make him have a poor family with an abusive father and 3 older sisters who had to sell themselves to expats. LOL.

July 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cyrus Howell

“It is possible that the suspect wanted some information on how to marry 20 year old girls."

July 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betweenlines

My guess...the 20yr olds are not the "gadgets" he was interested in and I hope he is caught soon.

July 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |