July 27th, 2010
10:48 AM ET

All out effort to find missing soldier, documents show

When U.S. Army Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl was first discovered missing from his base in southeastern Afghanistan last summer, the commander of his unit quickly ordered "all operations will cease until missing soldier is found."

"All assests will be focused on the DUSTWUN (duty status - whereabouts unknown) situation and sustainment operations," according to one of the 90,000 secret military reports released this week by WikiLeaks.

It was 4:30 a.m. on June 30, 2009 when Bergdahl was first reported missing. By 7 a.m., units started moving into "blocking positions to try and find missing U.S. soldier," the report said. At the same time, three different types of unmanned aerial vehicles and a U.S. army reconnaissance plane as well as other aircraft were brought in to search from above. A military dog handler was brought in as well to help find Bergdahl.

One of those aircraft picked up a radio conversation about an unindentified male who "indicates that an American soldier is talking and is looking for someone who speaks English. Indicates American soldier has camera."

The next day more radio traffic is picked up, according to the leaked report. "I swear that I have not heard anything yet. What happened. Is that true that they captured an American guy?" one man is heard saying. Another replies, "Yes, they did. He is alive."

Later, the report says an Afghan National Police commander working near where Berghdahl disappeared reported he received a "call from Taliban stating that they want to trade 15 Taliban for the American."

At least six local people were detained and questioned in connection to Bergdahl's disappearence.

Bergdahl has since been videotaped several times by the Taliban. His duty status has been changed to "missing-captured" and he's recently been promoted to specialist.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Security Brief • WikiLeaks
soundoff (No Responses)

Comments are closed.