July 30th, 2010

BP to set up $100 million fund for struggling rig workers

Rig workers hold signs at a rally in June protesting the drilling moratorium.

BP announced Friday that it will set up a $100 million charitable fund to support unemployed oil rig workers experiencing economic hardship due to the deepwater drilling moratorium imposed by the Obama administration.

The establishment of the Rig Worker Assistance Fund "fulfills the commitment" BP made on June 16 to provide $100 million in assistance "as a gesture of good will for the people of the Gulf region," according to a company statement.

The fund will be administered by the Gulf Coast Restoration and Protection Foundation, a supporting organization of The Baton Rouge Area Foundation (BRAF).

"BRAF has a strong track record of meeting community needs, and we are confident the Foundation will respond effectively to assist the rig workers who today are struggling to make ends meet," BP Managing Director Bob Dudley said in the statement.

Post by:
Filed under: BP • Gulf Coast Oil Spill
  1. Chris

This is outrageous. This money can be going to the eco-system they've entirely destroyed! While I can sympathize with individuals who are currently out of work due to this disaster, I still feel that BP has made every mistake imaginable in handling this situation to the point where even news like this is frustrating. The fact that BP is even still allowed to be a company is ridiculous. They should be forced to research and develop other forms of "green" technology and entirely shift from fossil fuels to 21st century solutions.

July 30, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Chris–I've got to respectfully disagree. What I find to be even more frustrating is the fact that no one talks about how the gulf coast residents have ruined the gulf long before BP. We hear things like "endangered turtles and pelicans are being drowned in oil," but have you researched lwhy they are endangered in the first place? Or, why the gulf is losing wetlands by the hundreds of acres, and why it also has a a dead zone the size of Lake Ontario? Do you know the effects of nitrogen fertilizer, used to produce ethanol (a non-fossil fuel), has on the gulf? A little more research may show you that the answer isn't as simple as blaming BP.

July 30, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • BreakingNewsBlog.us

how much BP should refund to Gulf's States???
      well, it very much depends also from this test:

July 30, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Bertina

BP is already spending money to clean up the gulf.

July 30, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • pangea4

You should do some research on the amount of land that would need to be tied up in wind farms and solar farms for them to be viable alternatives. One-third of the USA is one conservative estimate. You should also do some research on the negative environmental effects of wind and solar technology. Please consider what the turbines and panels are made of, how they are made , and toxicity issues in their disposal. Do some research on which country controls the matreials used in wind batteries and solar panels. Also try searching on bats and lungs

July 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • brokeoilworker

the BP $100 million dollar fund to JUST helping out "rig workers" is a load of crap. The work I did supported existing production platforms. I was laid off due to cut backs associated with the oil spill itself. Many operators made numerous cutbacks in fear of other restrictions and potential upcoming increased costs for production.

I have a claim for lost wages with BP. My BP claim adjuster has told me he completely agrees that I should be paid and have a legitimate case but they will not pay ANY "oil field" related claims due the moratorium. What they fail to understand is that existing production was not related to the moratorium at all....but they still won't pay. They lump everyone in the oil field into the moratorium category, no matter which side of the oil field you work with. The drilling sector is just one of five oil field segments. BP is still only trying to save money. this certainly isn't "DOING THE RIGHT THING" as they say

July 30, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • brokeoilworker

July 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I really dont see how you could be mad about this, they are spending a total of 32 Billion dollars on clean up and assistance for people in the gulf region. Also, they will be using this money for decades trying to make the ecosystem right. Listen to the most recent podcast of the NPR show planet money and they explain how BP is being forced to make it right, and frankly, not against their will.

August 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • joseph cecil smith

YES IT IS AS SIMPLE AS BLAMING BP.. clearly, bp ruined so much, lied about it.. but Obama's moratorium is foolish.. who cares if a rig spills a little oil, the gulf is FULL OF OIL from BP's gift to America. BP sucks plain and simple, and for over 5 million reasons...

August 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bailoutsos

What about all the tourist/fishing related jobs and businesses?

July 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Bertina

Apparently your head has been in the sand because that's been in the news weeks ago.

July 30, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Belteshazzar

The check is not in the mail, and the account balance is ZERO. Beyond Pastdue.

July 31, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. brad

the eco-system will take care of itself. these people did nothing wrong, and lost there jobs. they need the help to keep food on the table for there families. who is going to stop BP from being a company. OUR government. that would just be great something else they can take over and screw up.

July 30, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cait

I am highly amused by this turn of events. The cmpany is helping out the people Obama screwed out of jobs (while he insists he is creating them), while fulfilling a contract they were strong-armed into making.

Until I see proof of significant environmental damage along the Gulf Coast, I feel that this is the most effective way to help ease the fallout of the accident, since the worst fallout I can see is th hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs lost due to hairtrigger reactions; especially in this economy.

July 30, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • pangea4

Unfortunately this proposed payout by BP to one segment of the oil industry hides the damage being done to the oil industry as a whole which employs about 4 million employees and consultants nationwide. No one in this industry wants charity. I lost my 24 hour per week consulting job i week anfter the moratorium. As a contractor do I qualify for employment NO! Do I pay double Social Security and Medicare YES! Do I want a handout from BP or anyone else NO!

July 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Texas Pete

Wow, BP not only cleans up their mess and admits their mistakes, but they also volunteer to pay for government mistakes. Is BP a business or a charity?

July 30, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bertina

Your in the camp that believes America should apologize to BP. Pathetic.

July 30, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michael in Phoenix

they have not paid a cent into the other fund, what makes you think they wil pay into this one.

July 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belteshazzar

They will pay this fund because they need these people to further their greed.
      The other 'small people' well, sorry, they don't need you, they will take the tax writeoff for the money they didn't deposit, and let the men women & children of the gulf test their will to survive.

Behemoth Polluters are just Bad People out to prove they are Belligerently Pathetic and only care about Big Profit.

July 31, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. BreakingNewsBlog.us

I just want to take this opportunity to apologize to all the posters on CNN's news blogs. I know I have been posting some really stupid and annoying stuff over the last few months but I am not able to help it. My doc says have obsessive/compulsive disorder and a couple of other mental issues. The meds help when mommie remembers to give them to me. When she forgets (usually when she's out with her "men friends" drinking) that's when I go down to the basement and start posting crazy stuff. I'm sorry. As you can tell, the meds are working today.

July 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BreakingNewsBlog.us

Yeah. I'm really sorry. I don't know how to spell hydraulic (idraulic) and oxygen (oxyigun).

I also like 5 year old drawings in MS Paint and post them as scientific theories even though I never made it past the 8th grade science classes.

July 30, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. oneStarman

CNN – SOLELY OWNED SUBSIDIARY OF THE PETROLEUM INDUSTRY – Have you watched any CNN videos of the Oil Debacle? Did you notice they are ALL preceded and followed by Oil Advertising Propaganda? I guess that is why we were told the lies we were told.

July 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Belteshazzar

I wonder if BP paid for the signs they are holding?

July 31, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. shaq

where will the workers that were laid off from a company that 70% of there business comes from BP turn to.
    We were told we were laid off for the oil on june 3rd and still have not heard anthing but that BP have not recieved
    direction on which way to go.

July 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Robert Wooller

The fact is that the new BP CEo will be just as bad as Tony Worst Wayward out of here!!!

August 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elene Parker

If you're wondering, here's what I got based on recent statistics in terms of monetary losses for BP: http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=2QKK2VZMW2C8&preview=article&linkid=9ec01b66-5a4c-493a-9dd8-8dc8101e00b1&pdaffid=ZVFwBG5jk4Kvl9OaBJc5%2bg%3d%3d

It's just some current stats, since as I've noticed, the facts have been a bit 'fluid' when it comes to BPs position.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit,
    Elene Parker

August 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BP Pays for Obama Moratorium

Why is BP paying for a moratorium imposed by Obama and his Democrat administration? Someday soon your business may have to pay for something you are not responsible for and then you won't think this type of action by the government is so cute.

August 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. roseadelaide

Why then can't they come up with a paltry (relatively speaking) 10 million to help those victims who are suffering such mental anguish?

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |