July 31st, 2010

Kanye West anoints his first follow on Twitter

Rapper Kanye West, who some are saying has the funniest Twitter feed of all time, has been on the popular social networking site for all of four days and amassed more than 345,000 followers.

With celebrities and big brands, that kind of stuff usually happens. In April 2009, CNN and actor Ashton Kutcher battled to see which Twitter account would top 1 million followers the fastest.

What doesn't happen is when a celebrity who is following no one picks you as the sole person he or she is following.

For West, that person is an obscure Twitter account assigned to Steven Holmes of Coventry, England, aka ste_101.

Make that "was" obscure. Holmes' follower count Saturday went from about 60 to more than 600 (and counting) in about two hours after West pushed the button.

Homegrown Twitter celebrities aren't new.  Earlier this year, comedian Conan O'Brien picked Sarah Killen, a 19-year-old who loved candy and peanut butter, as his first follow.  He tweeted to her the now famous words, "Sarah Killen, your life is about to change."

And it did. Killen's tweets go out to more than 29,500 people now.

Holmes immediately acknowledged the rapper's deed, tweeting: "Holy [s–t] bro thx for following!"

Kanye replied: "You are the chosen one dun dun dun dun."

After about an hour, Holmes started to feel the effects of instant Twitter stardom as his follower count skyrocketed. "I feel pressure with my tweets now," he tweeted.

But West moved to shore him up, replying: "Tweet strong young man tweet strong!!!

Then he issued a final appeal to West. "My twitters melted down!" he said.

Alas, it's too late, ste_101, your life is about to change.

Post by:
Filed under: Twitter
  1. Scrappy

This world is in trouble.

August 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Yohan Stalin

So does a person named Grant J Kidney have a little bit with his own website. Visit http://www.grantjkidney.com and press twitter for the more information you need! P S He's kind of a scary guy.

August 1, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yohan Stalin

Incase it bothered you the website I'm Sorry!

August 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

I am curious to see what idiot rants Kanye West is going to go on. My bet is he'll bash the AZ immigration law just like some of the other CLUELESS celebs who havent read the law and think they know what's right for AZ.

By the way, I am in AZ and my twitter name is ConservativeK... 🙂

August 1, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rash

Don't you people understand the gravity of the situation?

It's "the funniest Twitter feed of all time". This has to mean something.

What is a twitter "feed'?

August 1, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Venti

WORLD EXCLUSIVE!!! NEW SINGLE CHAIN HEAVY, KANYE FT BUEKA

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqQgc8odRg&w=640&h=360]

This my joint of the upcoming album, it goes hard. King Kanye is back for real.

August 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gary

I will change the radio station, if they play this "has been's" songs.

August 6, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. Amy Morris

i love to microblog that is why i am very addicted to Twit my daily activities;:,

October 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Free FB Fans and Likes

Thank you for another informative site. Where else could I am getting that type of information written in such a perfect manner? I have a challenge that I'm simply now operating on, and I've been at the glance out for such information.

September 8, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |