August 3rd, 2010

Six teens drown in Louisiana river

Six teens drowned after they waded into unfamiliar waters and fell into a deeper part of the Red River in Shreveport, Louisiana, officials said.

One additional member of the group was rescued, Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders told CNN.

He said no one in the group of teens, who ranged in age from 13 to 18, could swim.

The victims were part of two families, and three of the victims were brothers, he said.

Divers on scene said the river bed drops from a shallow area to 20 feet, Sanders said.

People nearby heard the teens screaming for help, CNN affiliate KSLA reported.

Local ministers were in the area counseling grief-stricken family members Monday evening, KSLA said.

"Please lift this family up in prayer," Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover told KSLA.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. love2bowl

OK, so I grew up in Shreveport and NEVER stepped into that river, nor would I have ever even THOUGHT about it. It is nasty, runs fast and has serious drop offs near the bank. It is dangerous even for strong swimmers. If someone were to go under there, it would be impossible to see them to save them, it is called the Red River for a reason! Anyone who lives there knows this. While it is a tragic accident with these kids, blaming schools (good ole Louisiana Public School System sucks anyway), teachers and community is wrong. This is a seriously poor place people, there aren't public pools every ten blocks, the lakes are another hazard themselves due to wildlife.. namely snakes ... people are living on less than paycheck to paycheck, so lessons for swimming are out of the question for a good percentage of the populaton.
    Bless them and their families, try to lift them up in spirit where ever you are or are from, this is absolutely the worst thing a parent can endure, mulitplied in this case. Prayers to this famliy and their friends.

August 3, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dubs

There's a lot of talk about what race can and can not swim. Let me say this...in the DC area, almost every week its reported that someone drowned in the Potomac (all white). Most of the reports state that he/she was an excellent swimmer, kayaker, etc. Though it still happens. Rivers are dangerous and there are numerous underwater currents in the Potomac. Recently, a mother and daughter were wading in about a foot deep of water, slipped, and drowned. Their bodies were taken from an underwater current. In the story about the 6 teens, maybe they weren't briefed about the dangers in rivers. What looks shallow or calm on top is obviously different a couple of feet away.

August 3, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ana

I don't know how to swim well, that's why I took my kids to the YMCA for lots of swimming lessons. I always go into the water with a vest- my family makes fun of me, but better be SAFE than sorry. I don't let my kids go in waters we don't know, I don't care how much they plead, no way Jose. My condolences to the affected families.

August 3, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Getagrip

August 3, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. MSBJC

CJ, "Though sometimes the ignorant see you as the crewl/unjust hand of fate those of us with educational merit realise for the better of the species the weak need to be kulled before they breed". What exactly does crewl and kulled mean?

August 3, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Butch71

None of the seven could swim. Where were the parents?

August 3, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tam Mac

I was always taught that if you do not have anything nice to say, do not say (or type) anything at all. There are several posters that should follow this advice. Of course if the family could do it over they would never have gone on that picnic. But equally obvious they did not expect the shallow water to give way to a 20 ft. sink hole. I cannot imagine living such a perfect life as many posters that they feel they can malign grieving families. You people are obviously so smart and amazing that you will be forever insulated from tragedy, but just in case you are not, don't worry because there are many people who will take great delight in your pain.

August 3, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kathy

My heart goes out to the families of these teens. – Wow. I don't know how you people look at yourselves in the mirror. You have the audacity to speak ill of these grieving families AND their dead children as if you have NEVER made a horrible mistake. Throwing stones are we? No one on here is above a dumb decision. Don't think for a second you could avoid a tragedy like this one, whether you are an expert swimmer or not. So they did not know how to swim...does that mean they should have been banned from the river? NO. The fact remains that most people who love the water don't know how to swim. They just like to wade in pools, rivers, etc and do so at their own risk. What you all should be doing is hugging your children tighter and telling them how much you love them and will do all you can to protect them. You should be praying for these families and showing support as a nation, instead of calling them names and making disparaging remarks. You people make me sick.

August 3, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzy

God Bless the families in their tragic lost, not only Bless them but also bless the people who are trying to analyze this situation to the point that they are pointing fingers and giving negative criticism. I always said we live in a cruel world. I am so hurt not only by the deaths but also the comments. It was a horrible accident people, no one needs to analyze the situation.

August 3, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Patricia

The waves and the slick bottom of the red river pushed one kid to far in the water. When he yelled for help one of the other kids went to help him. Unfortunately the other 4 also went and they all drowned trying to save each other. The families sit on the banks because no one knew how to swim. http://www.ktbs. com/news/24491061/detail.html

August 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Da Professor

A sad story! Too bad that it brings out a few ignorant fools to make idiotic comments.

August 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. wray

tragic it may be, but the adults there need to be held partially accountable. Nobody there could swim – why are you in the water without some type of flotation device? Negligence.

August 3, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. SMAn

They probably all ran in at once all excited and then boom, the water dropped to 20 feet deep and carried them away to their deaths...just a tragic accident.

August 3, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kat

Horrible accident but what on earth is really wrong here? An entire group of adults and not one with enough common sense to say "Since not a single one of us can swim, no one go near the river"???? Seriously, there has to be a better picnic area for a group who cannot swim. Normal teens would be drawn to the water, parents would have to understand that and be alert to the danger. I don't even live near the Red River but have always known it to be a river of swift current. The young man that was saved, his life will always be a nightmare to know that 6 young lives were lost due to carelessness. I feel for those parents, but horribly in the end, they were clearly not thinking of what was best for those young ones and they now must live with the horrendous aftermath of death and despair. We all make bad choices at some point in our lives ... some just have worse consequences. My heart goes out to each one of them.

August 3, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. nimirra

I live in Canada and we have a swimming area close to where i live and i spend alot of time there . In the last month i have seen 3 children almost drownd right in front of there parents who were not paying enough attention to them. I have two children of my own but both were taught to swim at a young age and wernt allowed in the lake til they could swim unless they had a lifejacket on.

August 3, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |