August 3rd, 2010

Six teens drown in Louisiana river

Six teens drowned after they waded into unfamiliar waters and fell into a deeper part of the Red River in Shreveport, Louisiana, officials said.

One additional member of the group was rescued, Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders told CNN.

He said no one in the group of teens, who ranged in age from 13 to 18, could swim.

The victims were part of two families, and three of the victims were brothers, he said.

Divers on scene said the river bed drops from a shallow area to 20 feet, Sanders said.

People nearby heard the teens screaming for help, CNN affiliate KSLA reported.

Local ministers were in the area counseling grief-stricken family members Monday evening, KSLA said.

"Please lift this family up in prayer," Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover told KSLA.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Vrezh_Gabr

I can understand one or two accidentally stepped into the deeper part, but six...I can't imagine ALL SIX would do it at the same time....Otherwise, if one or two were drowning, the rest should not get in if they could not swim...as for swimming, I come from places there were no pools there, but plenty of rivers and canals, I started to swim at age 7 or 8, as most my friends....Inner city kids problem is partly their parents...partly the street, partly the school and the result is not good. Personally in this country there should be plenty of opportunity to learn how to swim...in this particular tragedy I still don't get it how could SIX teenagers (not toddlers) drown ALL TOGETHER..

August 3, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

My Heartfelt Condolensces to these Families for their Tragic Loss – My God People, you don't have to Post some of the Things you do – Try to Place Yourselves in their Shoes for a Minute – How would you Feel????

August 3, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

The question that comes to my mind here isn't why were they're wading but why weren't they able to swim? Of all the things we force children to learn, why we don't make sure they know how to swim is beyond me. All children should be taught how to swim who are physically capable of doing so.

August 3, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. J.H.

I live in this area and you have to know the area to realize what exactly happened. It was a sand bank, so you can go out on it. They was on the sand bank and slipped and it dropped 18 feet....

August 3, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. kands

it doesnt matter what kind of parents they had, if all of their friends were doing it would one of them stand on the shore and watch? No they wouldnt. They probably thought they were safe because there was so many of them. May they rest in peace and may their families find closure.

August 3, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. mVe

This is a tragedy that should not be made of joke of.. children died unnecessarily and grown folks are making ridiculous statements. Children will be children and unfortunately some of their actions may lead to tragic losses such as this one. My heart goes out to their families in this difficult moment in their lives. God Bless to all!

August 3, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. marti vadeboncoeur

Why, why, why do people go to the water when they don't know how to swim????? Every summer it's the same tragic reports!!

August 3, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sunil

I would not agree with Ramgrl. This is not lack of parenting skill. We all were teenagers at some point of our lives and we did seek "adventures" like this. It is unfortunate that these children lost their lives this way. I recently lost a nephew in a tubing accident. I know how if feels. Comfort and console the parent if you can rather than judging the parenting skills.

August 3, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. wrnjr

social Darwinism at work

August 3, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. stateworkerfrombr

Some of you people that are leaving comments on this tragic situation need to obviously get a life. I can't swim and I have a 15 yr old son that learned to swim out in the pool at our old apartments. He would go out there after school and swim with some of the neighbors kids and they would show him techniques and also their parents would be keeping watch. He can now swim like a champ but for these kids, whether they could swim or not, swimming is something most kids look forward to during the summer months. My heart goes out to the families of all these kids and to the responders who had to pull these poor lifeless bodies out of that river. All I can say is this, their families of course loved them but god loved them more and has called his angels home. We all have an alpha and omega date. Theirs just came much more sooner than anyone could have expected. May your lil souls rest in peace and families, time heals all pain. Give it to god and he'll take care of it !!!!!! God Bless You All !!!!!

August 3, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. KyGirl

Let me say something to all the idiots on this post that think they know everything...YOUR ALL IDIOTS! Speaking as an adult woman that's almost 27 I don't know how to swim and I'm just fine with that. My parents didn't teach me how to swim not because they're horrible parents, but because they didn't!!! And guess what I'm just fine! I have 2 boys that are 7 and 4 and they are now in swimming lessons because I want them to learn to swim for them, not because I want to look to the rest of the world like an awesome parent! No I can't swim and yes I enjoy going to the pool and guess what...I take my kids as well!!! The idea that some of you are blaming the children not knowing how to swim on the parents is ridiculous and I'm anxious to see who you blame it on when your own kids get into some type of trouble or make mistakes. I'm willing to bet it won't be on you since you're such phenomenal parents! My point is this, not everywhere are free swim lessons offered. In my city (which is not a blink and miss it city), there are absolutely NO swimming classes taught for anything under $100 and not everyone can afford that! If some of you came down off your high horse and looked at the REAL WORD through REAL LENS' instead of the fake, phony, rose colored ones that you use, you'd be able to be a little more empathetic to others! It's funny how 6 children died and you have not one drop of sympathy in your body. As someone above said, they knew a deputy that drowned in the same place in the same way who knew how to swim...what would you have said about how stupid the parents and kids were had they known how to swim...IDIOTS

August 3, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • kewfly

Well, that's really smart. Your KY name says it all. Another redneck who thinks the world needs to conform to them. Give your kids another beer and toss them in the river. You don't need to worry about looking like an awesome parent, because you ARE NOT ONE!

August 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BillyBobDole

They are noodling with God now.

August 3, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Marlene Smith

Reading many of the comments leaves me in such a state of sadness and bewilderment at the stupidity and callousness of many individuals that I am literally sickened. Yes you should always be mindful of water if you don't know how to swim but unforeseen events occur. Should you talk to your children about life's dangers, yes and believe it or not we do and sometimes they make mistakes and wrong decisions. I have repeatedly told my own children not to go into unknown waters. They had swim lessions at a very young age and guess what...I am still nervous they are around water because I don't know all drop offs and undertows and neither do they. There was massive flooding in my area a few weeks ago and a normally sedate creek behind my home rose 15 feet and had a current that had the strength of rapids. I stood on the top of the creek and saw my 16 year old start walking down towards the moving water because she saw a beach ball caught in a tree. Of course I called her back and gave her a massive scolding but it goes to show you that they are kids and don't always make mindful decisions. Her thoughts were that she was still not that close to the water and she is a good swimmer and not that the water was moving extremely fast and that the grass was wet and she could have slipped in. I was there to stop her but what if I was not. She is a good swimmer but with the currents moving as fast as they were she could have been pulled down instantly and it would have been difficult for anyone to save her. What I can say to those of you with heartless comments is that tragedy has no name , color or bias and you don't ever want to experience what these families must be going through. They will have the balance of their life to beat themselves up about why this happend and their own guilt and feelings of responsibility over it. We as human beings don't need to add to that through ignorance.

August 3, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ehh.

They should have known. You NEVER, EVER get into the Red River in Shreveport. Sure it looks fine on the surface, but underneath, it's a totally different beast.

August 3, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lee

Blame parents! Because God's NOT bringing them back.

August 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |