August 3rd, 2010

Six teens drown in Louisiana river

Six teens drowned after they waded into unfamiliar waters and fell into a deeper part of the Red River in Shreveport, Louisiana, officials said.

One additional member of the group was rescued, Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders told CNN.

He said no one in the group of teens, who ranged in age from 13 to 18, could swim.

The victims were part of two families, and three of the victims were brothers, he said.

Divers on scene said the river bed drops from a shallow area to 20 feet, Sanders said.

People nearby heard the teens screaming for help, CNN affiliate KSLA reported.

Local ministers were in the area counseling grief-stricken family members Monday evening, KSLA said.

"Please lift this family up in prayer," Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover told KSLA.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. CONRAD

also think about it,i lived in the tri state area and i cant count how many times ive seen a nigro child hangin out in the front yard at mabe 2 years old with not an adult in sight,i feal bad for the kids to have such unresponsible parents.

August 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TJ

Losing one child is bad enough, but three sons? Absolutely unbelievable.

August 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Briana

seriously everyone? guess what everyone does stupid stuff, like sure it wasn't smart that they were there and couldn't swim but they weren't expecting that to collapse or anything either. its no different than if you go into someones house, if they beat if up (not sure who would let there house go this bad but anyways) and not take care of it you could fall through a floor. maybe have a little sympathy, sure there choices weren't the brightest but maybe theres a lesson there somewhere.

August 3, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DMT7446

These are the most senseless deaths. These parents were totally negligent. Why would anyone take the children to a place they were not familiar with? Why not have enough life jackets for anyone who could not swim? Why not just go to a water park where tubes and hoses spray you with water and you are solid ground. They are free where I live and very safe. These folks had no type of training to be around any type of water that they were not familiar with and tht might be over 3 feet deep. Race has nothing to do with this. Stupidity and negligence is obvious here. If you cannot swim, then, do not take your kids to someplace where you cannot help them if they need it. No excuse for them to not know the water dropped off, that is my point they were not familiar with the area hence NOT GOING IN... I taught my kids as babies, because i almost drowned myself and was made to take lessons at the Y..Best thing I ever did. If these folks had gone to an ocean there would have most likely been lifeguards. No lifeguards don't go in. Just plain and simple common sense. oh and by the way my kids are half black, so that is no excuse.

August 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. why all the time

race always comes up. read an article referring to ealrier days and blacks werent allowed to swim in pools. f that. their own fault here. cant swim, learn...or down go around the water. and i bet they knew of the drop offs. they figured out how to fish, they can learn to swim too, gl,ad they got their useless president int here too, all of the saudden they choose to vote. nice work. wish they would choose to do something besides sit on theiir porches, yep, i said it.

August 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cassidy

This is a horrible tragedy, and it is a shame that it happened. I don't think race has anything to do with it. Black, white, or whatever - If you can't swim, don't go in the water, especially not in a river. Rivers are like wild animals... they cannot be tamed. Most are deceptive, calm on the surface, but rushing with currents below. We've lost several folks in the river near my hometown in Georgia and some of them were great swimmers. You can't expect rivers to cooperate with your plans, especially if you can't swim. My heart goes out to the families, and I hope that the people who read this story learn from the tragedy.

August 3, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tammie

omg this is such a tragic and several comments on here are so terrible. my god people this could be are kids this happened to my daughter last year almost drowned she got into a undertow she was 18 yrs old. and guess what she no how to swim. its not because your black or white doesnt matter kids and adults drown everyday. i feel so terrible for the parents. all these kids were from only two family. parents lost several of there children. my god people have a heart.

August 3, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. charron

THIS WAS TRULY A TRAGEDY YALL.WHY IS NOT THE QUESTION WE SHOULD BE ASKING FOLKS.THESE PEOLPLE NEED SERIOUS PRAYER NOT BAD OPINIONS.SO REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE THE TOUNGE IS A DEADLY WEAPON.

August 4, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Fawn

This is the most saddest thing ever. There having the funeral arrange, but it's gonna take awhile for them 2 raise money for the planed funeral. And Mayor Cedric Glover said for as long as he lives, this will be the most saddest thing that has ever happen here in Louisiana. And he hopes not to hear about it happening again. u know, this actually reminds me of my aunt's death. All she was trying to do was save her daughter from drowning. I find it a shame that when someone helps someone from getting killed that person dies, but atleast they died by trying to save one another.

August 4, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. US NAVY Man

The important thing is two families lost young family members, young kids who wanted to be something. My daughter almost drowned in 2006. I wasn't a strong swimmer but I went in after her with no thought about my own safety. None of them thought it was a 20 foot drop, not even the rescue crew knew it until they went down. Kids play in water all the time they are not to blame, the parents are not to blame!!! I'm from Shreveport I have seen countless amounts of people in that water all the time. I pray for the families.....
    One diver said "they were stacked one on top of the other".

August 4, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. carolyn wiliams

@ Ramgrl they wasnt in the water playing the sand that they were standing on was loose and they fell in the water,and its wasnt there fault the lord just had a time for all of them to go and that time was then, every time somebody looses their life its not because they did something stupid ....its because the lord had it planded that way when your time is up your time is up.

August 4, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Nelly

This is a horrible accident! It wasn't as if they went into the deep trying to play in the water. In my opinion there should have been signs showing the depth of the water. It has nothing to do with bad parenting or knowing how to swim. I am 39 and still don't know how to swim. I will definitely be changing that however. It's never too late to learn. I pray for the entire family and send my deepest sympathy. It's a tragic accident.

August 4, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. ginamero

It is terribly unfortunate that neither the teens or adults could swim but that is no reason to be posting the things folks are posting here. It's cruel to blame the kids...they were teens wading in shallow water and stepped off into a 20 foot chasm. I swim, my whole family swims, and my children were competing at the age of 4-5 in swimming. I think it's an integral part of survival. Not everyone does. There's alot of pain in the hearts of those parents. Must we keep slamming on them?

August 4, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. heartless

everybody keeps saying that schools should teach swimming. how many of you had a pool in your school? how many of you even had a pool in your hometown? how many of you are willing to pay the extra taxes to get pools and qualified instructors in every school? this isn't the schools fault, or the states' fault. this blame lies squarely on one womans shoulders. she can't swim, her kids couldn't swim, their friends couldn't swim and like total, complete morons they loaded up the family truckster and went to the river to play. hell, ray charles could see how thats gonna turn out. they should drown her, then revive her six times before killing her on the seventh

August 4, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stacy

I said the same thing Chris! Who takes their kids to a river, lake, pool when your kids don't know how to swim! Not only do the kids not know how to swim, the parents didn't know how to swim. Seriously, they are blaming a "do not swim" sign not being posted? Are you fricken kidding me? THose kids should not have EVER been near the water! I feel bad for this family, but c'mon!!

August 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Loving mother too

A real tragedy. The children that died trying to save their relatives life are to be commended for their bravery.

August 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |