August 5th, 2010

Call to police: 'I'm not going to kill anybody else'

Omar Thornton, minutes after gunning down eight co-workers in Manchester, Connecticut, called state police and told them, "I took it into my hands" because he worked at a "racist place," according to a recording of the call.

Thornton, 34, told police, "I wish I could have got more of the people." He also said, "I'm not going to kill anybody else."

The Hartford Distributors employee fatally shot himself Tuesday after the shooting spree that followed his resignation over theft allegations.

The gripping recording of Thornton's four-minute 911 call was released Thursday, the same day the company said he never filed a complaint alleging racial discrimination, as his girlfriend Kristi Hannah asserted.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Connecticut • Crime
  1. Frank

Maybe they shouldnt have been rascist. After Obama came in 'rascism was gone', right? Only now I seem to hear the n-bomb more often then ever. And being brown skinned myself I have often been verbally attacked. Do I kill them all? No, I feel sorry for them. To be so ignorant in such a learned society is pitiful. Insecure people are scared of anything different and color has been a fertile issue for these people for centuries.

August 5, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • JH

Well Frank, insecure and ignorant people assume others are racist, then use that assumption as an excuse for their actions, no matter how terrible. This guy was the victimizer, not the victim. I hope he burns in hell.

August 6, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottie V

LOL. "Maybe they shouldn't have been racist". As in implying that they had it coming? Are you really that moronic/cold blooded? Now, while I agree that racists who enact violence upon others deserve all they get and more, implying that because this (obviously insane) guy thinks they were acting racist(something the law can deal with a little better than murder/suicide), their deaths are justified, is just stupid. And, if that isn't what you meant, learn to be more eloquent and make your points a little bit clearer. Basically, either way, just quit being so stupid.

August 7, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

Frank
    I view from afar (Canada). White as they come. YOU should be president, ,,,, wise observations, hope for the human race ... we need more of you,

August 5, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe Schmoe

Hey Frank and Bob – you both convey the sense that Omar Thornton's cold blooding killing was justified. You have absolutely no clue whether any of his charges of racism are true. And even if...that justifies murder? You think there aren't hundreds of millions of people on this planet who similarly hate their bosses and fellow employees for the abuse they take, or perceive to take, on a daily basis? Further, anyone in this day and age in the land of litigation knows that an easy path to riches is to prove discrimination in the workplace. All Omar Thornton had to do was get photographic and audio evidence of this racist treatment, which according to him was in plentiful abundance, but he didn't. What does that tell you? The only 100% known racist in this whole affair was Omar Thornton. He admitted so himself. And notice that he said he got the "five racists," but actually killed 8 people. Real righteous motivation eh? These other 3 random innocents deserved to die, much less the 5 supposed racists? You guys are truly sick, and it's disgusting that you cloak your own prejudices in the garb of racial harmony and healing. You people are frauds. This incident is one of the most egregious instances of a racially based hate crime that I've seen, and yet meatheads like you focus on the poor pitiful plight of Omar Thornton. You've got your sympathies allied with all the wrong people. There are 8 families out there grieving over lost loved ones who were murdered, and all you're worried about is what Omar Thornton went through. It's sick, truly.

August 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. boomer

It seems like every time someone of color breaks the law now a days, they use the race card as an excuse. And, it seems to be working for them. I think it's time we put a stop to that BS. I can honestly say I was not raised to discriminate against people of color, but the more I hear and see what is happening, the more prejudice I find myself becoming.

August 6, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bonnie Ashmore

Joe and Boomer, you said it!! It's all B.S, I guess that's what you get when you hire "them people"!!

August 6, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bonnie Ashmore

Oh and Bob and Frank, SUCK MY ASS!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Airman 1st Class

"them people" that makes no since.. the problem isnt race. Its the fact that people are so hurt by something so meaningless..

August 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • boomer

Airman....I suspect the man that did that this had many more problems than simply being "hurt" ....I have been "hurt" by many things people said and did to me in my life (some of them in my workplace), but I didn't load a gun, go to my job and kill 8 people in cold blood. I am so glad this SOB shot himself....I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten off scot free.

August 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JH

If the truth could ever be known, I bet nobody was racist to this guys. Does it occur to anyone that he was just a nutcase? He probably concocted all sorts of schemes and conspiracies against him in his mind.

What makes me say that? No sane person kills people.

August 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DC

Ever since Roots they just do whatever they want...

August 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JH

You could have a little respect, cold blooded murder isnt something to make light of.

August 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. EddieD

I suspect the only racist here was the killer omar Thornton. Yes there is such a thing as Black Racism and he used it to justify his own miserable behavior. The fact is he was a thief, a murderer and a coward who took his own life rather than face what he had done. Claiming Racism many times is the last refuge of the guilty.

August 6, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tickyul

Yep, this country has become just a boiling pot of hatred. Big brother would like you to think that diversity is a strength, uh, sorry it is not. More and more I am seeing the truth come out and people ignore it, blacks and whites are too different to be able to live together, this little episode is just more icing on the cake. I wonder what level of violence directed at whites by Urban Americans will finally wake people up??????????

August 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottie V

Someone misses their segregation, eh? Tell you what, feel free to get the F#@k out of America if you don't like diversity, you bigoted anus.

August 7, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottie V

also, tickyul, how ironic. Complaining about how "[..]this country has become just a boiling pot of hatred", then spewing your oh-so-subtly racist vitriol and hatred about how diversity is no good. Seriously. GTFO. Burn in hell. I generally don't use the term "hate" very leniently, but really, I HATE people like you, and can only imagine the day that we surpass such ignorance and idiocy.

August 7, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |