August 8th, 2010

Tiger keeps tailing – plays worst tourney ever

Tiger Woods shot a 7 over par 77 on Sunday in the final round of the World Golf Championships - Bridgestone Invitational to complete his worst tournament as a professional at 18 over par.

"I don't see how it can be fun shooting 18 over especially since my handicap is supposed to be zero," Woods said after the round in which he carded six bogeys and two double bogeys. It was his worst round of the four day tournament and tied his worst final round as a pro.

"It's nice that the tournament's over and we can focus on next week," the world's No. 1 golfer - at least for the moment - said. Phil Mickelson can take over the No. 1 spot in the world golf rankings if he finishes fourth or better on Sunday afternoon at Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio.

Woods and the rest of the tour head next week to Kohler, Wisconsin, and the PGA Championship, the last of the four major tournaments for 2010.

Filed under: Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. Jack

Tiger has a number of problems, many of them self inflicted. That being said, I hope that he comes to determine what exactly in his game has fallen apart and that he gets his mojo back. Watching him play at his best is a treat for all who love the sport. He may never regain the Tiger of old but I do wish that he finds himself and becomes an integral pat of the game again. As the ratings show, without him, the game is just not the same. Perhaps someone will be the new Tiger Woods and eclipse his record, until then, I would love to see him play at his full potential.

August 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • missbea

Me too,I never watched Golf befor Tigar came along,I just love all the energy he brimgs to the game.

August 8, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

The quoted comment below is very interesting. I believe it may be a contributing factor behind the mistakes that continue to happen with children being belittled in schools to the reason people go to wars (a bit extreme but I feel that way). He made mistakes,and as a result faces consequences (to his game, loss of his family, loss of respect by his peers, and so on.) However I think it is more important to hope that a person learns from their mistakes as oppose to supporting their destruction. In addition, I ask all who are very quick to criticise this or any other public figure for their mistakes l, find someone in your life who has not ever made a mistake and when you do – you will find a lie.

All the best,

"Daisy
    Two things come to mind. Bad things happen to bad people and what goes around comes around! I, like many, hope things continue to go downhill in the golf department for Mr. Woods."

August 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. deb

So, 18 over huh?? One for every hoochie mama that had a private audience with his favorite putter.

August 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • furzaflyin

Best reply so far, deb.

August 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Paul Gavras

Maybe he will re-gain his old form. And then again maybe he's never going to be the same. Frankly who cares? I'm tired of hearing about him. There are other great golfers out there to follow. Golf shouldn't begin and end with Tiger Woods.

August 8, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. james

The magic is gone.

August 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marc

I see how some can be so happy when someone is down! Does it make yourself better? worry about your own life. Too many people looking to hate on the stars!

August 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marc

I wonder what some will say when he comes back? Crawl back under your rock? And look for the next bad things in the next person's lfe?

August 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

Who is Tiger Woods? This story reminds me of those headline articles we used to see about Britney Spears latest temper tantrum.

August 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

Who is 'Brian,' and why are you here posting?

August 8, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Donna

I feel that a person's private life should be just that: PRIVATE. Just because a person is a celebrity doesn't give us the right to peak into their bedroom window.

We have all said and done things that were wrong, and in some cases downright stupid. But most of us are not famous, so our indiscretions are not plastered in every gossip sheet and talked about endlessly on every mud-racking TV show. Thus, it is easy for us to cast stones from the shadows of anonymity. We should refrain from doing this because our words betray us. Our hateful condemnations expose us for what we are: Hypocrites.

If Tiger Woods never wins another tournament, never gets another birdie, never sinks another putt, he has still accomplished far more than the vast majority of us ever will. Knowing this is what causes so many to let jealousy take control of them.

I, for one, wish Tiger well. I hope he finds peace in his heart and that he is able to do what he wants to do in life. If that includes golf, so be it. I have the same wish for myself and for all who may read these words. We are all lost souls on a dark and stormy sea. We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we suspect that it is not going to be good. Let us not spoil our chance to enjoy the here and now by allowing hateful thoughts to rule our minds.

August 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Faye

Bummer! I will be so glad when Tiger starts playing the way i'm used to seeing him play.

August 8, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jax

surprised he didn't fake another injury and quit on thursday

August 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. deznets

I can smoke tiger now, does that mean i can get the tail and the money. I actually look good in nikes to and as a bonus i am single. Give me a driver a caddy and a bud im joining the PGA.

August 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Justin

Tiger needs to get back with Butch Harmon.
    He played his best under him.

August 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Julie

Give it up people. He's just like you and I (imperfect). He's used seriously poor judgement in his life and he alone needs to deal with the fall-out, and he is. That being said, you can't just forget about his golf talent as thou it never existed. I for one hope that his game returns so we can all enjoy the thrill of watching an awesome athlete continue to succeed as well as encourage and promote the game itself to young and old.

August 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • deznets

Wait actually i am perfect

August 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hjs3

Dunno but I'm guessing once again that there was an awful lot of "stupid" served for breakfast based on these posts...
    Geez!