August 16th, 2010

Court blocks same-sex marriage in California

A federal appeals court in San Francisco has blocked same-sex marriage in California, until it hears broader questions over the constitutionality of such marriages. The brief order from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals set aside a federal judge's decision August 4 permitting same-sex marriages to resume.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: California • Gay and lesbian • Proposition 8
  1. Arick

Everyone should have expected this. The court will more than likely strike down the ban, but they don't want to act prematurely without hearing both sides arguments. They are not siding with the anti-gay marriage crowd, they are just making sure that both sides are heard without bias.

August 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tet1953

Finally, a ruling that makes sense. The issue is far from over, and it made no sense to allow marriages until it is resolved. One judge should not be able to change the law. They are supposed to uphold it.

August 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Becky

Tony, you get upset about a word? Fine, then all of us can have 'civil unions', and you can only get married in a church or temple or whatever. But you have to have the civil union too.

Hung up on a word? Not only are the prop 8 clowns hateful bigots, but they are pretty narrow in their ability to think critically.

And Johnny, women have not been equal for most of history. Pravda, it is just a matter of time before Prop 8 is gone, but you keep up that hateful stupidity.

August 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnnyb52

I'm hateful? Yet , I say i love every person as a person...do you? Are you capable? NO, I do not hate anyone and I am not stupid, you are bothered by my comments because I make sense and needed no mention of God. You desire to make this thing happen so you can find justification to your own sick sins. I am a sinner saved by grace. I am above NO one and neither are you.

August 16, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Becky

Amy, small minded people think the sun coming up in the morning is a victory. They are stuck in some other millenium. It is only a matter of time before Prop 8 is history.

August 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnnyb52

Becky, can the blind lead the blind?

August 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. klirren

I'm leaving, and taking my $3 dollar bills with me!

August 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. marcia

read the bible
    its not a marraige they want just a union.
    fine go back to commom law
    my boyfriend and i have been together 23 years
    so were legaly marriged
    samw thing

August 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Involved

Marcia, keep your bible and read the law instead. You get a 'common law' marriage for living in what your bible would call sin while others can spend a lifetime together and be denied the choice to marry. The 14th Amendment is pretty clear that a state can't single out certain people to deny rights.

August 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

For those bigoted fools who think my marriage to my husband of 23 years impacts you: F off. It doesn't.
    For the morons who say call it something different: OK. But give me and my husband the 2,000+ benefits you receive from the federal and state governments involved.
    To the lamebrains who say civil unions are the same: Maybe they are maybe they aren't. But guess what? We don't have htose either becuase of the hateful spite of the religious right and the narrow self interested prop 8 supporters.

August 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

shove your bible up you narrow twisted box. Its the best bang your gonna get in a while. If ever...

August 16, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

Everyone wanting to get married come here to Iowa. Thats right Iowa is appearently more in the 21st century than California

August 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brubear

I would find it deliciously amusing if at some future point those who have been oppressed have the opportunity to pursue renumeration from those that oppressed them. The Latter-Day Saints have deep pockets...

August 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Linda

All couples of whatever nature should be required to do a civil union at the national level, and then each couple could also do whatever "marriage" they want in their own religion, at their own choice. A national-level civil union would prevent bigamy and would treat all couples fairly under the same law. The idea of "marriage" approved by one State or another is antiquated and discriminatory.

August 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Linda, it's not about the emotional / religious aspect of marriage. It's about the financial and legal aspect of it...health insurance, life insurance, hospital visitation, tax law....there are thousands of laws that affect married people differently than unmarried people. Gay people, help me out here and elaborate to educate.

August 16, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • IceT

Linda, I believe you have it right. I've been saying the same thing for a long time. But I think the real problem is that even if we separate the religious ceremony from the legal one people will still not want it to happen. With that being said I still believe it is the right step at the right time.

August 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

Let's just push the thing to the Supreme Court and get a ruling once and for all.

August 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Arick

Hmmm how about calling legal marriage something different for everyone gay or straight. Religious marriage could be called marriage, while legal marriage would be termed something else and apply to everyone.

August 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

The term marriage isn't owned by any religion–it is a term used by the states and the federal government to describe how serious a relationship is and how committed the two people are to each other.

In fact, there is supposed to be separation of church and state–so using any defense stating religious ideas should be thrown out.

And lastly, if straight people are so afraid to "catch the gay cootie", then change your term to something else, let us vote on your marriage. Fair is fair. The US is a land of equality, religious freedom, the pursuit of happiness. Churches and religion need to get out of state and government affairs–those churches who keep interfering should lose their tax free status.

August 17, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. marcia

we can,t get married because they will take away his disablity, and i cant support him if he can't work. same thing to me as a women who had invested 23 years with someone. live with it

August 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Amunaka

Does Howard Ahmanson jr one of the rights biggest funder's and proponent of prop 8...still think gays should be given the death penalty..or has he relaxed his views any..

August 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |