August 16th, 2010

Court blocks same-sex marriage in California

A federal appeals court in San Francisco has blocked same-sex marriage in California, until it hears broader questions over the constitutionality of such marriages. The brief order from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals set aside a federal judge's decision August 4 permitting same-sex marriages to resume.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: California • Gay and lesbian • Proposition 8
  1. WILMA WEBB

IF OBAMA SAID THE MOSQUE BY OUR LAW SHOULD BE BUILT. WHY AREN"T ALL ILEGALS SENT HOME AS OUR LAW STATES? QUIT BLAMING OLD PEOPLE WHO HAS PAID IN FROM THE START . AND MAKE THE GOVERMENT STOP PAYING HOSPITALS, DR"S. MEDICINE, SCHOOLS FOOD STAMPS ECT, TO 100 MILLONS ILEGALS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD? IAM 74 AND DANG TIRED OF HEARING THESE LIE"S DO YOU HAVE GUTS TO READ THE. TRUTH?
    WILMA OKLA WHO WORKED IN THE FIELDS TO GET BOOKS AND CLOTHES TO GO TO SCHOOL NO FREBIES FOR OUR AGEFOR NOTHING.

August 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Toni

My favorite part of this whole debate are the "traditional marriage" and references to the Bible. Men in the Bible could marry several wives, they could have wives that were children. Really not seeing what was so great with "traditional".

August 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. B-

What's the big deal? Let people marry who they love whether it be Straight or Gay.

If you want to block Gays from marrying, they maybe you shouldn't collect taxes from them since they aren't being treated like real US Citizens.

Finally, if some of us Straight folks have some irrational and stupid issues with Gays, maybe we should stop making Gay babies...

August 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. IceT

In a country that "loudly" professes freedom and equality this is a downright embarrasment. How can we be proud of our countries human rights accomplishments and not treat everyone the same. It seems we talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

August 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Das-bishop

This is a Nation of RULES and not of MEN.

August 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Adam

I cannot say I am surprised, although I am still quite disappointed. I know several couples who were really hoping to finally get married come Thursday, but it seems they will just have to wait a few more years. People can keep fighting and bickering all they want, but this is a change that is bound to happen. Take all biases off the table and it is obvious that the RIGHT thing to do is to allow all couples to marry regardless of gender, period.

August 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

Funny how so many gay couples can manage 14, 20 years together, when so few straight couples can... Maybe NOT having the same basic human rights as the rest of society makes them value love and commitment more, hmm? So for the good of all Americans, maybe we should do away with marriage altogether – remove the social stigma to children born to unwed parents – remove the unfair tax burden placed on those who choose not to marry or bear kids...

August 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Hey Adam,

Don't think it will be years but if it is, the demographics are in favor of Gay marriage. Polls show the major opposition is among the over 65 crowd so in five or ten years it will be a done deal anyway.

The chances are, however, that the 9th circuit and SCOTUS will see the excellent case Boies and Oslon presented (with very little rebuttal) and will uphold Walker. They are just taking it slow as they often do. The wheels of justice often turn a bit slowly.

August 16, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. VampireCowboy

I would love for civil unions to be the default, conveying all social rights, and marriage to belong solely to those who think their religious views matter. I "married" my partner because that's how I can take advantage of tax breaks, purchase a house together, assign end of life care, etc. Let me be blunt: I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE CALLS IT. I'd be delighted to get unmarried and then rejoined in a civil commitment "divorced" from all religious trappings. This is a commitment between adults to live together and work toward common goals. I don't care what your bible or your god or gods say about ANYTHING. Give marriage to the religous nuts, but give society a new form of union.

August 16, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scott

Maybe someday we will join the forward-thinking, more advanced nations like South Africa, Argentina, Iceland, Portugal, and Spain in recognizing this is a civil rights issue and marriage is a basic civil right. I hope we can get back to LEADING instead of dragging behind the rest of the world.....

August 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

We are NOT talking about marrying underage kids here, we're talking about two consenting adults marrying who they want to. I honestly fail to see how the happiness of these couples will ruin your life.

August 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lay_d_day

California stop bending me over and making me your bride.

August 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Do you live in California? If not, it will be the Feds through the Supreme Court that will let you know what US law is. Just as Virginia vs Loving threw out the interracial marriage ban forty years ago. A lot of people felt race mixing was 'unnatural' and 'against the Bible', it doesn't seem to have been true based on experience. Gay marriage will irritate a few people for a while then it won't be a big deal except among hard core bigots.

August 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LiberalNN

Hooray for lawyers arguing about what we can do with our lives! I'm so glad my tax dollars pay for all these lawyers arguing! Yay America!

August 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JOHN

Perfect!! Scratch one up for traditional family values!!!

August 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

it's a tax issue.......everything in this country is about money.

August 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JORGI

NotPoliticallyCorrect, im pretty sure I dated your daughter... tell her i said Hi

August 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pokie

Well, I guess THAT BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!

August 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |