August 16th, 2010

Court blocks same-sex marriage in California

A federal appeals court in San Francisco has blocked same-sex marriage in California, until it hears broader questions over the constitutionality of such marriages. The brief order from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals set aside a federal judge's decision August 4 permitting same-sex marriages to resume.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: California • Gay and lesbian • Proposition 8
  1. JD in SFLA

It's clear that this is not a gay or straight issue, it's freedom and the basis for what our country stands for...

August 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

Should we let the people of Alabama or Mississippi vote on whether to allow blacks to marry whites? Of course not. Civil rights are not put to a vote.

August 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JD in SFLA

the devil, Oh come on, the devil was dreamed up to scare the lost souls into practiced religion and into the cauffers of the church.

August 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HahaReligion

This shouldn't even be up to date. It wouldn't if it wasn't for the religious nuts and their imaginary friends.

August 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HahaReligion

Why is this even a debate? The religious nuts are clinching at straws.

August 16, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pro

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! I hope the new ruling doesnt get overruled!

August 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

The ruling WILL get overruled sooner than later. Welcome to America–the land of the free because people like my great grandfather, grandfather, father, brother, etc. have fought to make it free. The land of the free includes civil rights for all, not just a select group. If you don't like America, LEAVE!

August 18, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ken Bradshaw

There are good arguments in support of this ban. But one side will not hear them. 1) Equallity exists. A gay man as the equal right to marry a woman that a stright man has. 2) Morals do exist in laws. I doubt that gays want pedophile rights because laws can't have morals. Most laws have a moral basis. Show that there is no harm to other freedoms. The equallity argument is false. Argue the moral right and wrong.

August 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gerald D.

Stop whining and go get treated. Being gay is just a bad habit that can be got rid of. Besides, its not good for your health. How are you going to have children. Remember, be fruitful and multiply.

August 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mario

We don't need treatment, there is nothing wrong with us. It is not bad for your health to be Gay or Lesbian, its bad to hate yourself and to live a lie.

August 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Gerald,

In case you hadn't noticed, the population of the world is growing at an alarming rate. Trust me, there's no concern about our race dying out. Multiplying should NOT be at the top of our 'To-Do Lists' right now.

August 16, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

G-d what people will do to empower their ego and call themselves more righteous. Its sickening I live in a world so backwards. One day people will get the true teachings of the bible and not warp into their own, or draw from the Old testament and Pherasee teachings that Jesus was opposed to.

August 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

One would hope.

On the other hand, there is only one person that can judge, and that person isn't anyone on this planet. So while being gay may or may not lead some of us to hell, judging definitely will. Maybe I'll see you there (in hell), maybe I wont. But do you know what your hell will be like? That's right–you'll be married to a gay man and made his b1tch! hahaha. Sweet dreams.

Treat as you want to be treated, equality for all. And stop judging!

August 18, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

That wasn't meant for you Jason, just tacking on to what you posted.

August 18, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. jeffabanton

Most of you will call me a bigot, but I do not care. It is utterly ridiculous and unAmerican that a judge can overrule the will of the people. It is an abuse of their office to legislate from the bench. This court did the right thing legally and morally.

August 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

So Satan has your vote to bring back White Power and make the black people slaves again? And while you're at it, I guess we should get rid of all those Mexicans too, right? And please go tell your mother personally that SHE shouldn't have the right to vote so you're voting to take her rights away.

Get real, grow up, and stop judging people. You are no super-power, you have no more rights than anyone else. If you don't like it–that gay marriage will one day be legal, sooner than later–than leave the US and go to a country that doesn't like it–maybe Iran?

August 18, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Oklahoma29

I don't understand what the big deal is with marriage. If two people gay or straight want to be together than be together. It is as simple as that. You can change your last name or put a ring on it. I don't believe that individuals need a piece of paper to be happy with his/her partner for the rest of their life. To me I think marriage is now more of a legal matter for health insurance, life insurance, taxes. If the real reason behind a gay's marriage is this than it will probably end like half of the straight marriages in divorce. So people just be happy you have someone to spend you life with!

August 16, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BrianJ11

God created Adam and Eve (not Adam and Adam; and Eve and Eve). Marriage is between one man and one woman; and should remain this way. Furthermore, being gay or lesbian is not a civil rights issue; and has nothing to do with the color of your skin. Please stop comparing this fight to the civil rights fight of the past.

August 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I agree,well said

August 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rocky

Keep it in the closet!!! I am sick and tired of our kids having to see this in public, on television etc....
    I could care less what you do in private, keep it away from my kids, just like most of you want me to keep my smoking away from you. .

August 16, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Justin Steinlauf

I am a gay and I do not believe we need to have any more discussion on the topic. The people of California have voted against it twice and I agree with them. I see no need for this so called equality to call my legal union a "marriage". As long as I have the same rights under the law of a married couple that is fine with me. Keep marriage for man and woman and legal union for me and my partner. How simple is that? Done and done now let's move on to some more important topics!

August 16, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonmore

You should be excommunicated from the gay society for not knowing there is a huge difference in privileges and guarantees between the two. I am straight but I don't want my gay neighbor to feel less in his marriage. This is what America is all about.

August 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin Steinlauf

Sonmore you are an idiot and not a gay like me. You imply your neighbor feels less in his "marriage" but how can he feel less when its not even a marriage. I feel more privelaged with my legal union than a marriage since I dont believe in god and I think that marriage carries that negative religious conotation. Dont speak on behalf of my community you cant feel what we feel (pun intended). 🙂

August 17, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ionlybangstr8guys

Who are these people in MY country trying to take the rights of people away from them. Go live in Iran. Nobody wants you here.

August 16, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |