August 17th, 2010

On the Radar: Toddler deaths, Obama's mosque issue, Prop 8

Children's deaths raise questions - In a case a sheriff says has "a stench of foul play," two children were found dead in a South Carolina river, and police have arrested their mother. Shaquan Duley, 29, faces charges of leaving the scene of an accident, authorities said.

Divers found the bodies of Duley's two sons, ages 1 and 2, in her Chrysler sedan in the Edisto River near a boat landing after state troopers responded to a report of a car accident early Monday. The bodies were sent to the coroner for autopsies. It wasn't immediately known whether Duley had retained an attorney.

Obama's mosque comments - President Obama's comments on a plan to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero are not only giving opponents an opportunity to attack him but also reveal a messaging problem from the White House, a communications expert said.

"The danger here is an incoherent presidency," said David Morey, who provided communications advice to Obama's 2008 campaign. "Simpler is better, and rising above these issues and leading by controlling the dialogue is what the presidency is all about. So I think that's the job they have to do more effectively as they have in the past [in the campaign]."

Same-sex marriage stay - A federal appeals court ruling temporarily blocking same-sex marriages from resuming in California drew strong reactions from opponents and supporters of the state's controversial 2008 referendum on the issue.

Couples hoping to marry rushed to cancel their plans after an order late Monday from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals set aside a federal judge's decision this month that would have permitted same-sex marriages to resume in California as early as Wednesday. And advocates on both sides of the issue said they were prepared to make their arguments in court.

1. Bertina

To say that Obama has to do or say something for his opponents to attack has been missing the news cycle since he first was sworn in.

August 17, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. S

I haven't totally disliked Obama until now. No mosk should be anywhere near gound zero. I will never vote for him again.

August 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • KHILL

Why should we care about an opinion from a person who mispells 'mosque'? No one can deny that 9/11 was an atrocious event, but it wasn't the religion that is responsible, it is the radicals who read there own agenda into the religious beliefs who cause such mayhem. I'm sure there were plenty of islamic believers who innocently died that day, too. While I don't necessarily agree with the building iof a mosque there, they have every right to do so.

August 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tish

I never voted for Obama ..not that I didn't want to give him a chance.... I did have a lil" confidence...It just didn't happen. He has just taken money & flushed it away. I do not want welfare but it seems that it will probably my only option. So sad being that he is on the campaign trail suckin up more money for his FAILURES!( BTW...I am not qualified for welfare !) Sometimes it seems sad to be an AMERICAN!

August 18, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. KHILL

*of

August 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. paula jo

What you don't hear about is the Greek Orthodox Church they are trying to build in the same Neighborhood,running into one roadblock after another from the NYC Government,Guess if their Faith took part in terrorism and preached Jihad from the Church,Obama would back them too.

August 19, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carolyn

I'd feel a little better about it if the Islamic religious leaders had expressed outrage at the actions of those responsible for 911. If you recall, little or nothing was said.

August 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Reaper

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUkcjAtzzcI&w=640&h=360]

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Thu

I am impressed by the erofft that went into your writing and the way you managed to keep the flow from Introduction of the topic to the summary. Do you think you might cover recent developments in marketing online or what are your thoughts about that. I look forward to reading more from you. Have a great week.

July 14, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |