August 17th, 2010

Pakistani mom: Take my baby; she'll have a better life

CNN reporter Sara Sidner sits in a car surrounded by children as she and a crew prepare to leave the flooded Sindh Province in Pakistan.

Sindh Province, Pakistan - The first things you notice are the flies. They form what looks like a buzzing black crust on children's lips, eyes and foreheads. The children are either too tired to keep brushing them away or too used to them to bother.

"We have terrible problem with flies," 50-year-old Khuda Jatoi says in Sindhi, the local language here. Everyone here is suffering from something. Still, the moment they see us, everyone scrambles to find a suitable place for us. Someone is trying to find a chair for us to sit down. Father Khuda Joti is insisting on giving us tea or sending someone to buy a cold drink. We are guests in his makeshift shelter, and he wants to give us the best of what he has. We cannot bring ourselves to take anything from him. He and his family have lost nearly everything they own.

They are victims of the worst floods Pakistan has ever seen, and yet they are trying to make us comfortable. That keeps happening everywhere we go. The day before, in a school-turned-clinic, a few ladies who had survived the floods handed me a "hair catcher" because they could see that I was sweating profusely, and they wanted to make me more comfortable. At the same time, the men kept fanning us with brightly colored hand fans. It makes me feel both ashamed about how much I have and don't appreciate, and inspired by the kindness that is clearly being extended with no expectation of anything in return.

When we ask about their troubles, the entire clan begins to talk at once. Suddenly we are surrounded by children, women, fathers, uncles, aunts, cousins and grandfathers - all members of the large extended family. They have taken refuge in a small school that the family broke into and turned into an unofficial shelter. They have nowhere else to go.

"We were drowning in the water," one family member says. We couldn't hear much else as the sound of all those voices began to weave together in a suffocating quilt made of despair.

We tried to quiet everyone so that we could have a conversation. They told us their sorrows and spewed anger at authorities for giving too little too late.

Then, something happened that makes me cringe. One of the women in the crowd asked that I take the tiny baby girl I was cooing at. She said the baby would have a better life with me. I wasn't sure I heard her correctly until the actual mother of the baby girl said it. I stood there silent, my brain churning so furiously it was as if it was looking for the right answer to a test from the Almighty. How am I supposed to answer that question? What is the right answer? Is there a right answer?

There have been plenty of days in my line of work where I imagined gathering up all the suffering children and taking them with me - at least I would know that they would have food to eat and books to read. But I never really considered actually taking a baby from the arms of its mother, even if asked. In this case, the family has been so traumatized, I told myself it was just their fear and anxiety talking.

I left with only my notepad and camera in my hand and another of life's difficult questions swirling in my head.

Post by:
Filed under: Pakistan
  1. dly

Put all of our pointless arguing about who is marrying who and who is building what where in perspective.

August 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynne

Exactly right! It makes me angry that we argue over such petty things in the U.S., but many in the rest of the world are struggling daily just for food, water, clothing, and shelter.

August 18, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

@dl and Lynne: I soooo agree with the both of your statements. Wish that the American people could help one another as well. Unfortunately, I think that what is happening in the developing countries will happen here-desperate need for housing, food, clothing on a larger scale. If I had the offer to work overseas as a nurse, I would be on a plane in a split second to devote myself for the cause of philantropy.

August 18, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
    • acmed Shams

May we never forget how brutal and dictatorial the Taliban are and why US forces are so needed there
      Please watch this. Seriously.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aw6Cnw0hY&w=640&h=360]

August 19, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • george in texas

China had all sorts of pacts with Pakistan. China frequently calls Pakistan an "all weather ally". So, how come the super-surplus china does not give a red cent to Pakistan in this calamity. THe only aid China is interested in giving is weapons to Pakis if they promise to target India. And yet India is willing to give aid to Pakistan with the full knowledge a good part of it will go into pockets of Paki terrorist army generals.

August 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cmr

I do see a certain irony that a muslim nation is begging christian nations for help in the relief effort. Where is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and all those other oil rich/money rich countries that have our moeny in their banks. They are muslim nations – and should step up to help their neighbor.

August 17, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh!?

Pakistan somehow comes off sorta different than the other nations you mentioned. Those other nations are oil rich monarchies whose royal families spend the extra money on Lambroghini's and hit on white women. They don't give a flying F about Pakistan. US is great therefore we care.

August 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

The real question is, would these countries rush to our aid when we need it most?

August 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • inkle-dw

"Neighbor" is not defined by border or belief. And neither Pakistan nor Islam is a monolith. We are talking about a nation in dire need and desire. Not only do you do a great diservice to categorize "them" versus "us" based upon religious lables; religion does not factor into a natural disaster or a humanitarian crises, but also you feed into extremists' positions and propoganda, and leave the afflicted vulnerable to their persuasion.

August 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • sultan

actually muslim nations are already helping Pakistan with this crisis.
      on the other hand what does religion has to do with this crisis in the 1st place?

August 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

The US is not a Christian nation. Get that into your head. Our nation was founded on secular principles.

August 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Farrukh Saeed

CMR, Don't forget with the aid of same muslim nation you defeated communism in 80's.

August 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

Saudi Arabia is the highets donor $100 million. UAE and Turkey have also made pledges of millions.
      You western media will not tell you that.

August 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |

I have read so many readers asking the same question. How much did Saudi Arabia contribute. I did not know but researched this right here on the internet. The Saudi government donated 100 million dollars and the citizens of Saudi Arabia have raised 111 million dollars through a telethon (television fund raising) today. The United States has pledged 76 million dollars. The Paksiatni nation is greatful to both. What needs to happen is that the people of the US need to contribute and match the Saudi people's contribution. Do not forget that the people and armed forces of Pakistan have had the MOST casualties in the war on terror than ANY other ally of the United States. This is not an occasion to count what others have done, just help a people in despair. Thanks.

August 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • sanity

@anonymous, Count how much you get on hand and when and not how much you are promised. By the way I being infidel promise you 100 Billion Dollars. Does it mean anything to you?

--------–
      anonymous

You western media will not tell you that.
      August 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |

August 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sanity

@Sultan, Who told you to do the dirty job of defeating other nation? Now you seems to be the victim of that success:)

August 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • FDD

CMR- You are an idiot, plain and simple. You think just because "you" are a christian that the United States is better? How narrow minded can you possibly be? Get it through your thick head that religion doesn't anything; it shouldn't.

August 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • LibraryLady

Who cares if they are muslims? I neither understand nor care for this form of prejudice. These are women and children dying. These are our brethern, yet all this story seems to inspire in some hateful individuals is a sense of retaliation for 9/11. Please tell me the rest of the world is better than the awful people posting on this site....

August 17, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bekah

So Jesus only helped Jews, right? I guess that whole "helping the Samaritan" thing was a joke and he never fixed that Roman Pagan soldier's ear in the garden of Gethsemane or restored a Roman Pagan's slave back from near death...

August 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • LR

Religion is irrelevant? Where was the oil rich Arab aid in Haiti? Oh wait, that was the Israeli's. The Arab countries couldn't give a damn about anyone who isn't Muslim. That's yet another difference between them and Israel.

August 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

Certain things are more valuable in Islamic worldview – nukes, weapons, mega-mosques, illusion that Islam is conquering the world. Other things are not so valuable – human beings for example, both Moslem and non-moslem. To rescue Moslems ( either from other moslems or natural disasters) a Moslem has come to rely on the weak, kind hearted West.

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I definitely agree

August 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • EB

What does religion have to do with helping out other HUMAN BEINGS! I am begging people to please steer away from ignorance and realize that children are dying due to our own selfishness..........

August 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarsar

TOTALL AGREE WITH YOU

August 17, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mat

@Dan
      You clearly dont know your history!

August 18, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • JM

What Christian nation? America is certainly not a Christian nation unless Christian in your mind just means white? You certainly aren't Christian because the Bible says to love your neighbors, to love your enemies, to feed the hungry, to clothe those without clothes, to give ALL of your money to the poor...shall I go on? Don't know what Bible you're reading but it sounds more like the devil's handbook.

August 18, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • HRA

Saudi Arabia has started live telethon after King Abdullah's request to the nation, which will last for next 20 days and this effort has led to collection of around USD 40 million in 60 hours. May be someone can confirm the exact figure but it is surely above USD 35 million. Everyone needs to contribute, sometimes even a needle counts. At least lets be positive about the efforts.

Thanks

August 18, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • JC

Better do a fact check...the countries you've referred to have contributed more $ than the U.S.

August 18, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Are you a Christian? I am not, but I wonder if your questions reflect Christ's teachings?

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • pbd

Whenever you hear that Saudi Arabia donated this or the US donated that, keep in mind that those are GOVERNMENT donations. The people of the US are HUGE contributors through the Red Cross, Catholic Charities and other non-governmental organizations. I am willing to bet that as a whole, the average US citizen donates far, far more than any other country per capita. Without question- we are the most generous nation on earth.

August 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Farooq

i dont know how religion is even relevant in the situation, the flood has affected Pakistanis irrespective of what religon they belong too, and fyi ppl in Saudi Arabia have donated more to these victims then any other country

August 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • hannah

Yes, the Taliban are horrible people but what is so extremely wrong and disgusting about this video is that you show those men praying and reading the Quran. That is what you are saying is so bad about them. All that shows is how stupid and ignorant you are. Get a clue! The wrong that they are doing is showing Islam in a bad light and hirting women and other people for the stupidest things. But prayer in Islam is not a bad thing!

August 19, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Now we will probably hear the hate filled ranting from the lunatics who post on these sites. Fire away people. I guess the scale of human suffering isn't enough to stop you. I'm often ashamed to be a part of the human race.

August 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • WiseOne

Tea-Partians are tea partying with the Indians ....they will be here shortly lmao

August 17, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnOBX

I agree with Mike's sentiment. I don't have a lot of love in my heart for the Pakistani government, but these are the Joe Citizens that aren't all that different than the Joe Citizens anywhere else in the world. To cast aspersions on them when they are down is un-American.

August 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ib42

The horrible truth is that of the hundreds of millions of dollars donated to help these sad people, very little will actually go to that end. The human race is corrupt beyond belief. Even America. The opportunity to get rich off the misery of others is grabbed by many people without a conscience.
      Yes, horrible, but true.

August 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

Mike, I understand that you want to "leave" the human organization. There is one religion that has brought so much misery to mankind that many people consider the followers of that religion to be not human at all. You could go join that religion. You will soon be in the news, accompanied by a big bang and a bright light.

August 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • PeopleLover

Pray for the mind of God.

August 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • dutchfan

Don't despair, Mike. I read the comments and felt disgusted too – but then realized its nothing but the usual bash-fest-plus-pointless-argument-routine that's true for most message boards.

August 17, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

Isn't that the truth...is this the way it has always been? Have I just had my head in a hole? Did it start when Obama ran: the insane, hate-mongering that seems to come straight from the pit of hell? Where is the love? Where is the compassion? Where is the sense of common humanity. Ugh.

Fortunately, there are people out there who care. If you actually have a heart, donate to UNICEF, etc.

August 18, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Reena

Being that some ppl are praying for a child....I would have gladly accepted the baby!

August 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. funinfacts

i think Pakistan started regretting on things what they did to India. They have to start thinking about their internal issues instead of terrorist activities and the public should recognise the ppl who are ruining their country's reputation. some of them are making mistake and everybody is paying for that.....we really needt to help these loving pakistan people but we really scared approach them for help...

August 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatfacts

What exactly did Pakistan do to India? It goes both ways buddy. India is no saint.

August 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian

lets see

1. Pakistan started 3 wars and lost all 3, tried to start a 4th one in kargil which btw was a sneaky way to attack someone
      2. Pakistan sponsors terrorist attacks in all the major cities in India
      3. Kills Indians in Afghanistan for no good reason

Im sure Pakistani ppl are very nice, but tell ur govt. that attacking India wont solve anything...EVER

August 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

Yes, they regret attacking India because now they have to beg on all fours in front of their rich neighbor. However no Paki regrets attacking US or Israel. They would rather drown than make peace with the Jews – surprise – they are drowning now.

August 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dil

I want to donate but I am afraid. What will happen to that money I donate? Will it go into a right hand or will it be redirected to some terrorist group?

August 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Reply to Indian
      2. Pakistan sponsors terrorist attacks in all the major cities in India
      3. Kills Indians in Afghanistan for no good reason

Indians are saint-- all 3 points lol.... I am having a hard time connecting his logic to a natural disaster.... it just shows how immoral/inhuman values you and your fellow Indians posses about ppl in misery. Plz keep ur money as you may need to sponsor another Gujrat 2002 like massacre.....

August 18, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. CSG

jryan:

I bet you just crack yourself up all the time. But, here's the thing – you're not funny, just an idiot.

You read an article that describes immense suffering, the type of suffering that would drive a woman to give up her most precious possession; her daughter, in the hope that her daughter would at least have a decent life, and your reaction is to make a tasteless, inane joke?

You are a worthless loser.

August 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAM

Thank you, well said. Some people have no shame and no heart.

August 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michele

I often wonder how a reporter can swoop in for a story on human suffering during a tragedy and then just fly out, leaving the victims behind. I read a story like this and want to give them help. How do you separate yourself from your job and the compassion you feel in your heart? And do you ever give the people anything when you interview them? Money? Food?

August 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nina

Michele – I'm thinking perhaps simply telling the first hand account of their plight is what she is able to give. I've thought about the same question you posted, and it seems that if she gave everything she had every time she went, she would be as poor as they and unable to help in this one important way. It must make her heart ache.

August 18, 2010 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jesus

Sounds like a variation on a Rodney Dangerfield line..."take my wife...please". This is what happens when a nation's leaders spend more money on the military than for infrastructure improvements. If you know that a flood plain exists, you factor that into building decisions. Apparently that was not done.

August 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Thank you Jesus!

August 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

One would be amazed at how many times USA , Israel are mentioned in Pakistan. ( mostly preceded by "death to..." )

Yet 99.99% of Pakistanis will never ever met an American or Israeli in their lives. Maybe this is Allah's way of tellling them " worry about yourself first"

August 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JohnOBX

August 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rog

No just un-American but inhumane.

August 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FightTerror

One one hand, I am obliged to help by doing what I can – donate money. The pictures of human suffering are mind boggling. On the other hand, I know my money will very likely go into a corrupt Pakistani official's pocket or worse trickle down to a terror organization that will use it to attack a western country or India. It is tough to ignore the fact that 90% of this country's people have a negative perception of the US, 75% people still believe 9/11 was staged and an overwhelming majority of people think non-muslims are infidels. What a dilemma I have!

August 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asma

http://www.hidaya.org is a legitimate agency that does direct relief work in the area, if your still interested in donating.

God bless you!!

August 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Guess

I would agree with Mike. Rather than coming together as human beings we are crying over petty religious issues. There are many people on this forum who turning away from a true crises. Shame on you.

August 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shahzad

Suffering, there is no race, religion or country that it respects. Please refrain from putting in pointless, hateful comments here. CNN is an international news agency and not limited to the United States, it takes a lot of courage and pasion to go to such devastation stricken areas and write an honest report. All hats off to Sara. It breask my heart..

August 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAM

Well said. I wish more people understood that the world doesn't begin and end at the edge of their own little hate-filled pea-brains.

August 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

Does you heart break when your fellow Pakis commit terrorist plots globally ?

August 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Average Human

Pakistani are very dangerous, and deceptive. They will kill anyone and everyone in the name of religion or honor. They don't have any thing to eat but like to kill every one in India, Israel, United States and others. They are snakes, you save them and then they will kill you. Let them suffer so they will learn to live peacefully. Their leaders are corrupt.

August 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asma

Your such a bafoon !

August 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiz

You are not average human. You are a worse than average beast

August 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa

They, they, they. So all Pakistan people are alike? They are all hateful and cruel people. Every last one of them. At least that's what you are trying to insinuate. But we all know that's not true. It's no more true than American's being all alike. No, every human being on the face of this planet has his or her own ideals, opinions, morals, and values. So stop saying they, they, they.

August 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • thewayiseeit

@I Aristotle Ur Mom, thanks for your post. Islam hates us all so much. Now they want our help. I don't even like thinking about them being on the planet. I do wish CNN would report anything but things about Islam and it's people. @George, you are so right. I didn't even know beheading existed until the Islamic people came into play. Why in hell do they expect us to care now. What about Daniel Pearl? He died a horrible and very public death with people wearing black hoods around him. That had to be extremely terrifying for the poor man.

August 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roland

When Pakistan was struck by an earthquake some years ago they said " don't think about religion, contribute money so they'll begin to see how good the US is "
      we gave money and what was the efffect ?
      5 years later there is almost one Paki terrorist plot every month to hurt US

Now this happens and all the bleeding heart morons are back with " don't forget they are humans.....etc"

August 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

you are a complete, ignorant idiot.

August 17, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • snowman

Ur post indicates that u r not even an average human . U r an insult to human beings . This is a matter of humanity ..not of religion , country or race .

August 18, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Nina

I'm certain there are some Pakistani who are as you say... the rebels, the war mongers, the extremists. But to paint an entire people with the same brush as their most infamous is to do the same to whatever people/country you belong to. You might as well say everyone in the US is as bad as our worst, most mentally unstable citizens. I will not condemn the women, children and good men (as there must surely be some there as there are here) to suffer for the actions of their worst, most ignorant examples.

August 18, 2010 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Kel

Yes, do your best to dehumanize and demonize human beings and trivialize suffering. You are part of that sad cabal that supports or commits atrocities in the name of whatever god your worship or whatever politics you support. Sick stuff and a window into the knuckle dragging, mouth breathing mentality that affects a portion of humans in all countries. Would that all of you remove yourselves to a remote and uninhabited island to squabble, fight and murder amongst yourselves.

August 18, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. ama

Did I read a different article than the rest of you? Did you not hear what the reported said.....a mother asked her to take her child. Don't you get it? Look around you. Look at your high def tv, your blackberry, your house, your car, YOUR STUFF. These people have NOTHING. Can any of you even imaging that? You're right, Mike. The human race has lost it's compassion toward one another. We have become so detached from reality that people just don't get the fact that this woman could see an opportunity for her child to be well cared for....something she is unable to do. Her destiny is to live in poverty and disease. All she wanted was something better for her child.

August 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AZMateo

It's just Gods way of punishing the Pakistani's for there support of terrorism. Reap what ya sow baby!

August 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah thomas

This has nothing to do with God.... and you obviously, don't tealize that.

August 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

(rolling eyes) I knew that one was coming. I knew someone would bring the notion of "God's punishment" into this. I wonder what God thinks of people like AZMateo and others who basically say "who cares", make a cruel remark, and feel justified. WWJD?

August 17, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Learn how to spell THEIR you idiot!

August 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • thewayiseeit

AMEN!!

August 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

And it was Pervez Musharraf who left are men hanging without armored support in Somalia.

August 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abraham

Ofcourse this has to do with GOD's intervention... Haven't you heard of Biblical Flood or Biblical Plague? This is one such and is God's act as is everything else...

August 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

Or, it could be God's way of seeing who actually reads the Bible and knows/does what it says (e.g., loving and helping people; having mercy & compassion; giving to the needy; helping people in distress and in time of need).

Seems to me, when I read the Bible, that He is compassionate to everyone but religious, judgmental, hateful, self-centered hypocrites.

August 18, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Nina

Religion is a wonderful refuge for a closed mind. There is security in the certain knowledge that your own personal God is punishing someone for you, isn't there?
      Only when we realize we are all one people, and that religion only serves to separate us, will we thrive as a species.
      I've no use for any religion. It's all just crazy talk, arrogance and ignorance, thinking belonging to a certain group and following the dictates of it makes for a better person. If you are a good person, you are a good person.
      Hey, how about we just call ourselves humans and learn to get along? Yah, right.

August 18, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Kel

Yes, God is a mean, petty vindictive SOB who smites those who disagree with your worldview. How convenient. How idiotic, how predictable. You are part of the problem and simply the other side of the coin of those you despise. Its amusing that you are close kin to those terrorists and radicals on the other side than you are to the rest of the human population. Revel in your ignorance, wallow in your brutishness and may you meet the same fate that you wish upon others. Now that would be godly justice.

August 18, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |