August 17th, 2010

Schlessinger says she won't renew radio contract

Embattled radio talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger announced Tuesday she will not renew her contract that is up at the end of the year, telling CNN's "Larry King Live" she wants to "regain my First Amendment rights."

Schlessinger has been under fire for using the N-word repeatedly during a recent segment of her show.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Joanne Haynes

Dr.Laura is rude and condescending to her callers. Can't say that I'll miss her.

August 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

Can't agree more except that i won't miss her. Bye. Don't let the door...

August 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darryl Schmitz

Agreed. When Larry King had his radio show, he acted similarly toward his callers when he disagreed with them, occasionally hanging up on them.

August 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen Smith

Dr. Laura is fantastic. I do not always agree with her advice, but her morals are spot on. She has brought the family back to life where it should be. Children first!!!! She is very tough and gave me a backbone and she does the same for the millions that listen to her everyday. She must reconsider her decision.

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorraine

I could not agree more. She has intimidated people for years from her defunct tv show to her radio show. Her advice is harmful to people. I am not at all surprised at her comments about black people, easy for a rich, white woman to act superior. She is doing us all a favor by leaving.

August 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

AMEN!

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

And yet you listened – well good now you can have someone PC who will tell you what you want to hear!

August 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sal Voce

What she does is give her readers a real dose of REALITY. Now, if you wimpy dolts can't handle reality, that's just TOOO BAD! Go GET A LIFE!

August 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • UScitizen

Speak for yourself Lorraine.

August 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

we need more like her on the air to tell the truth,and saywhats on your mind if a black man can say the n word and its ok why cant any one else what ever race? But its a one way street

August 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

To be honest, hearing the clip in question, it really wasn't all that bad.

But I still think she's a moron so no big loss. 🙂

August 17, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rachel Ley

I heard that radio convo & it wasn't as bad as the media made it out to be.Dr.Laura was right, if a black person uses the "n" word it's accepted but if any other race especially a white person uses it, it's viewed as "racist". The caller was a hypocrit & I agree w/ Dr.Laura, if u can't handle the heat don't marry out of ur race. I am hispanic married to a white man, so I know what it feels like. The caller is hyper-sensitive!

August 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You're loco

August 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • plasticheadblog

Sounds to me like she's been wanting to leave. Sure folks, say the N-word, but be willing to take the negative fall out. I thought Dr. Laura treated the woman shabbily. the woman was just calling in for some advice and got berated.. BUT, I didn't get that the dr. was trying to be racist...she appeared 'out of touch' and insensitive and her advice and attempts to opine on this highly charged issue was poorly done. She said she realized that...that said, Dr. Laura apologised and should be allowed to move on and do whatever...everyone makes mistakes.

August 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

agreed people need to get over it. its just a word grow up.

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • MIssV

While I'd love to have an open and honest discussion on the use of the n-word, this was definitely NOT the way to go about it.

August 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danyll

I was listening that day also, and it wasn't as bad as the media makes it seem. I'm an African American woman and I was not offended. She was making a point. I'm very shocked that the incident made her feel like she has to leave the radio show. Screw them Dr. Laura, you apologized now move on/

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rastafareye

I heard the show, too. Dr. Laura was so correct and I agreed with her response to Jasmine's dilemma. It's a sad thing to see her go. She really helped a lot of people...Some of whom need to feel strong advice and to shut-up and listen to what she had to say.

August 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenji Sugahara

Good riddance. If I hear African Americans use that word, I tell them to stop. That's right. I'm not black and I tell them that. 99% of the time they get it.

August 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

How do you know the caller is hyper sensitive. You are you to tell someone else whether or not their feelings are valid or not. Just because you have one experience doesn't mean that everyone has the same experience, and its pretty arrogant and self righteous to think otherwise. What if I walked into your house and start sprouting off racial slurs? How what you feel? Offended? Well too bad you are just a hypertensive illegal Mexican anyways. Yah it doesn't feel great when you are on the receiving end does it?

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cryruse4

Here is how your comment doesn't make any sense. You wrote "The caller was a hypocrite..." The caller never used the N word. If your husband and all of his friends used the C word, and it offended you, would you then be hypersensitive? No, clearly if something offends someone, it offends them. It doesn't have to offend every single woman, or does it? And how does you being Hispanic give you moral ground, or make your opinion fact? Dr. Laura was wrong.

August 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Kim

Why do people think black people are okay with black people using the "n-word". I am not and I am black. The "n-word" is offensive if used by anymore. She is insensitive and needs sensitivity training. She is also out of touch if she feels black people are okay with black people using this word. Anyone who use this word is dumb. The example she used was dumb. I don't her personally but accepts her apology.

August 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penelope

First of all, you must be married to an ogre. Only a woman who has the love and protection of a man would understand the caller, Jade's, feelings. I am black and also married to a white man. A gorgeous Viking king! He would never tolerate me being hurt or disrespected. Dr. Laura would call him "A man".

Jade's call was like many Dr. Laura has handled–spousal inconsideration. She has chastised spouses who allow their friends and family to disrespect their wives/husbands. "A man protects his woman" or "Stand by your man" has been her previous advice. This situation should have been no different.

Only a woman who doesn't think much of herself would find justification in another woman being mentally and verbally abused. Dr. Laura would say this, also. Jade is not hypersensitive because she expects respect, love, and protection from her husband. Again, I don't know why YOU don't get that.

Where did you get that Jade is a hypocrite about the use of the n-word? She specifically responded to Dr. Laura's comment that black comedians use it too, by saying, "That doesn't make it right". Not all blacks use the n-word nor think its appopriate.

August 18, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • uhhh

you are really dumb.

August 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Caleb

Just because some black people use it does not make it right. I am black and I don't use it. You did not listen to the whole call or else you would not be on here criticizing the caller. Please go back and not to Fox News and listen to their whole conversation. Listen to reason why the caller called in

August 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alysia

Seriously? I am a black female and was listening when she made her comments. This is a hyper sensitive nation. I have a white husband and Dr. Laura's points were valid. Get over yourselves, people. If you don't like her show don't listen. If you think she's rude go listen to radio disney... this is the real world... not PC playland.

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manerva

Why do you have a problem with Fox News?? You don't like them because they are not in bed with Obama? You are black and don't use the "N" word but I live in the South and believe me, you can't go anywhere without hearing one black call another that word. Dr Laura was trying to make her point. It's people like you who are slowly but surely taking our priviledges away. Now, there is no freedom of speech if you are a white person. If you are black, it is over looked. I hope she stays on the air! There are plenty of people out there having babies, one after the other, who do it for the welfare support and not because they want or are capable of being good parents. If they listened to Dr Laura, they would know how absolutely wrong they are. We need more people like her on the air AND FOX NEWS!!!!

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

He probably doesn't like Faux News because they make up their facts and air edited videos that destroy peoples careers

August 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

I am black and agree with the Dr and that word is banned in my house

August 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

You're missing the point of the caller's concern....she said that her husband did not defend her when his friends made racial comments about her. This seems to have been lost in all the N-word talk, and Dr. Laura's response to her is "you should not marry outside of your race"?? How insensitive is that???

August 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danyll

Anne these are the things that happen when people marry outside their race. She just married an idiot. He should have protected his wife and had they let Dr. Laura finish her advice, she would have told her so.

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

Will my children on my grand children be free from the race issues? Rap videos, sports figures, thugs on the streets, comedians, movies (Ving in Pulp Fiction – MY N.....), as long as you aren't white it seems OK to use. I hate to generalize...but if a white kid has long hair, saggy green pants, a stocking cap, a chain hanging down he probably......plays football or skateboards? Let's be honest with ourselves as a society. Dr. Laura talked about something we all (OK MANY/MOST) white people think about from time to time.

August 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • yolanda

good job robert i wish their were more people that think like u that word means a lot apperently in a bad way but yet the people that use it the most are the african american among each other and thats disciminating......

August 20, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Donn Lawenson

To call the caller hyper-sensitive for raising legitimate concerns about race is totally erroneous and out of line. One proves how foolish and unlearned they are to use the excuse that "black people" use the word, therefore I can too.....WRONG! What is it with people's burning desire to use a word that clearly is a racial epithet because other people do it? C'mon stand own your two feet and cut the bull. Rachel, clearly your misguided and confused. I wonder if you had a problem with the c-word and male relatives of your husband word using it....if you'd appreciate a man calling you hyper-sensitive? Cut the ignorance and recognize that Dr. Laura must of lost her marbles when she used that word. NO EXCUSES!

August 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Blame Bush

Good riddance to her and her lousy, retro, dark ages advice.

Judgmental types like her seem to be about all the far right has to offer.

Another icon of the American Taliban finally gets off the stage.

I wish she'd take Beck, LImbaugh and the rest of them with her.

August 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mstfd

Well said and by the way, I still do blame Bush for starting the mess this country is in. Only a moron can't see the trail of evil he left behind...

August 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

August 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jones

She is a nut

August 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Orange Sunshyne

RE:Joanne Haynes

---------------------------------------------------------

Why do you listen to her in the first place if you feel this way?

Dr. Laura is right though – I get sick of hearing black people, especially males, call each other the N word. I always hear them say, "You're my N....". And rappers, that's all they use, like it's hip. It's really disgusting. Perhaps Obama could chime in on this subject. He chimes in on everything else.

August 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

The only black people you hear using the "N" word are those who you would not want used as any sort of role model or good example. So using them to justify the use of the word is just plain disingenuous. I mean if you hear a bunch of white folks using the "F" word in public does it mean it's ok too? Get a grip. The only white people who think the use of the word supposed Dr. Schelissinger used is ok are racists. And I am white by the way.

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

I hope she takes her naked pictures with her.

August 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • G D B

Let's not be rash (or see hers in this case...) :))

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • djrkw

eww.. she has naked pictures? that's rotten.

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Erik

Thank you CNN I was looking for a positive news story.... hopefully she get experience at being unemployed.

August 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dick

@Rachel Ley...you are an ignorant ass and so stupid..please read the Doctors complete transcript become you make an ass of your self

August 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

Oh thank God she will not return . . . was not not a very good show to begin with . . thank goodness the airwaves will be free of her rhetoric. . . .

August 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SAM

HEY DOC,
    SURE YOU CAN COUNSEL MEL GIBSON, OR HE CAN COUNSEL YOU....COMPARE NOTES AND OPINIONS!!!!!!!

August 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. G D B

After her knowing & inappropriate tirade, this is a good thing. While I was offended by her comments, given full well knowing that they were not justified, I am gratified that she has enough dignity to pull herself off the air. Let's hope Ann Coulter& Sean Hannity take the hint, along with Keith Olbermann & others that distortort truth for an agenda that does not serve us (society).

August 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |