August 17th, 2010

Schlessinger says she won't renew radio contract

Embattled radio talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger announced Tuesday she will not renew her contract that is up at the end of the year, telling CNN's "Larry King Live" she wants to "regain my First Amendment rights."

Schlessinger has been under fire for using the N-word repeatedly during a recent segment of her show.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Chad

Pretty soon there will be no conservatives on talk radio, then what will you libs do when you're all hearded together like cattle to the slaughter and there's nobody to speak out against it?

August 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Garbage. It's the right wing whacko's who want to round up people and exterminate them: gays, feminists, blacks, intellectuals, atheists, etc. They aren't fooling anyone. Fred Phelps is their hero and role model.

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patriot

Yeah... and the black helicopters will come and wisk us all away to U.N. concentration camps and feed us soylent green....
      Hey Chad-how does that tim foil hat feel?

Jeez....

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Chad- in general, liberals are better educated than conservatives (and are better dressers and have all their teeth). Don't worry about us. Whereas you only listen to conservative talk show hosts for your opinion (baa-baa), liberals have a broad view and outlook on the world. That would make you the follower I believe, not me.

August 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • G D B

Have you done a head-count on who is & is not on talk radio vis-a-vis conservative vs. otherwise? I don't think you listen to the same dial as the rest of us. All opinions are fair to trade in the market place of thought. Would you have it otherwise?

August 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • MIssV

Good grief Chad. Have you surfed the AM radio dial lately? In my city the only talk show that isn't right wing is Clark Howard. Formats aren't going to change just because Dr. Laura's leaving.

August 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nance

So 'Dr.' Laura wants her 'First Amendment' rights back? No one took them away from her in the first place! She said what she said on-air, unedited, and the public as well as her sponsors has their First Amendment right to criticize her if they don't like it. And guess what? THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT! Not one bit. Seems the First Amendment bit Dr. Laura in the butt, big time. Live by the sword, die by the sword, Laura. You want to be controversial? Offend enough people and you'll be invited to leave. Doesn't matter if you're 'right' or 'wrong,' there are simply some words that incite people and hurt. You know that.

August 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

Yes this is a common mistake. People seem to think that just because they have Freedom of speech they don't have to deal with the consequences of what they say.

August 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Nance, yours is the first treatment of this topic I 100% agree with. Thanks for saying what I wanted to.

August 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alverant

Well to conservatives they have the right to say what they want, but no one has the right to criticize them or call them out when they get things wrong (especially when they get things wrong intentionally). It's their same old story of "My rights are absolute and take priority over your rights."

August 17, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. George

Come on Laura – what "under fire" embattlement? With a few predictibaly vocal exceptions the black community has not skewered you (as they could and maybe should have!). You were rude to that caller driven I think by the right wing cloaked frinzy to make all things racial

Bottom line – you hurt her – not help her – something that disqualifies you to do what you say you do – good bye – the world will be better I think for you leaving.

August 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. oldsoldierboy

Oh, I get it. She is the victim here. Maybe the Dr. should've stayed within her race.

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

I've only listened to her once – all I could think was what a condescending, self-righteous person she is. What's worse is she makes a living because people actually tune in to listen to her. And saying that disgusting N word? No excuse...no excuse. Quit saying it's okay because some black people say it to each other. Shame on her.

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Mike, we're in total agreement. EVERYONE knows that rappers use the term and EVERYONE knows that quality people, of all races, do NOT use the N word. The vulgar rap is crap, and EVERYONE knows that too. She knows that, she was just being "cute" in her own, egotistical, holier-than-though fashion. This time, she bit off more than she can chew, and I'm glad she's headed out the door.

August 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Carmen

Well now she can explore other career options, like Black comedian, HBO Actress, or the next great rap star

August 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joshua Ludd

She wants her first amendment rights back? She never lost them. She was employed to talk on the radio... she said something people did not like, so they protested. No one said she didn't have the right to say what she said... they just said she shouldn't be employed to say it on the public airwaves. Would she be so interested in (supposed) first amendment rights issues if she overheard an employee ANYWHERE using anti-jewish slurs? I truly doubt it. She would want the person doing it fired... which is appropriate.

August 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. arizonan44

sorry to see her go, even tho I have not listened to her for awhile. 1 of her books helped my marriage greatly, plus 2 other friends I suggested it to. the proper care and feeding of a husband

August 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. maria

Good, she is rude and i don't understand why people call her to be spoken to in such a rude disrespectful manner.

August 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Agree. I've heard her as I've driven across the wide open spaces and felt she was downright nasty to people, typical of those holier than thou types who think their stuff doesn't stink and thus have some right to judge people and dump on them.

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yaya

people are missing the point by focusing on the n-word. That entire call was inappropriate and uncalled for. Dr. Laura was in no way professional handling that call. Her references to Obama and NAACP were out of line. She didin't acknowledge the callers feelings in any way which is not how a real therapist operates. The woman expressed her dislike of the n-word and Dr. Laura kept using it just to taunt her. She needs to go off radio and figure out her reasons for doing the show. She clearly wasn't helping anyone with that call.

August 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penelope

I agree. Her NON-HELP was the deep underlying problem. Now, she has changed her Dr. Laura.com website. I'm starting to wonder if this was all staged.

August 18, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. leon

I'm a black man living in GA and I hear the "n" word come out of the mouths of my race more than I do whites.

August 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • rayjay

Same here Leon.

August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan M

Me too!

August 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • C-town

In north Florida... I here the same.

August 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

All that means is that the people you are listening to have no more class than the departed Dr, Schliessinger, not that she doctor is right in any way.

August 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dino

Here is a voice of reason. I think the only morons who even care about the word are us White folks. LOL. And we care too damn much about it. This word isn't going away, we should just embrace it and stop being such pansies about it.

August 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mstfd

Does that make it right, Leon? Why aren't you calling them out on their ignorance?

August 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lori M

That's the best news I've heard all day! I used to listen to her years ago, but as her tone became acerbic, her advice more harsh, and her view more judgmental, I couldn't even accidentallly hear her voice without cringing. What a hypocrite she is; posing nude, being divorced, having a slacker son, all while criticizing others in similar situations. She take use her time off to develop some compasion for humanity and get over her prejudices.

August 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Lori: Amen! I'm popping a cork tonight. One more right wing doofus off the air.

August 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

Don't forget that she slept with a married man

August 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gay

Dr. Laura is a genetic mistake.

August 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dell

I'm an African American and I have not listen to her show in the past, and I don't agree with her ending her show, if she ends her show then their should be some Africans Americans should stop telling racial jokes and making racial comments.

August 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fran

I think the call was blown way out of proportion and that she was right. However, the few times I listened to her - when I accidentally punched the wrong button on my car radio - she should NEVER have been on the air. What a rude, unkind person she is. SHE needs professional help.

August 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Fran, your feelings about her, as expressed in the second half of the post, are right on the mark and prove that this matter was NOT blown way out of proportion. See?

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |