August 17th, 2010

Schlessinger says she won't renew radio contract

Embattled radio talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger announced Tuesday she will not renew her contract that is up at the end of the year, telling CNN's "Larry King Live" she wants to "regain my First Amendment rights."

Schlessinger has been under fire for using the N-word repeatedly during a recent segment of her show.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bob

The point is not if its ok for one race to say it, its the fact that no one should say it, period. Just because other ignorant black people use it as a means of communication has no justification, they are wrong and so is the Doc. And to assume that someone cannot marry the person they love simply because you think they cant "handle the heat" is bullsit. And please explain how you being a hispanic enables you to relate. Every interracial couple has to endure hate-filled speech from their couples relatives? No, I dont think so. Just because YOUR relationship is dysfunctional dosent make it the norm and ok.

August 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

Not a moment too soon! I won't miss the acerbic and caustic arrogance one whit. Buh-bye!

August 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Blame Bush

Gee, maybe she'll join forces with Sarah Palin and go on the book and BS circuit with other right wing flakes.

August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori M

I'll bet the ink on that contract is already dry. Good call BB!

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MIssV

Personally, I'm not a fan of her show and don't listen. She's always been a bit too preachy for my taste. But it's my choice not to listen. I've read the transcript and would love to know just what set Dr. Laura off. She's been doing her show for many years. What the heck was she thinking?

August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dkm_norcal

I hate Dr. Laura with the passion in the world, I think she is one of the worse radio personalities that has existed or that will exist. She is as bad as Mr Dobbs, Beck or Hannity. Her use of the n-word was innappropriate, rude and showed no sensitivity to the caller's issue at hand. I listened to the whole conversation, Dr. Laura had no right to tell the caller to not marry out of her race. It is not up to Dr. Laura (thank fully) to tell anyone that they have to stick to their own race when it comes to marriage. Dr. Laura is an egomanical, backwords thinking, racist individual who loves stoking the fires of race because she knows it will invoke a response and boost her ratings. She showed no sensitivity to this issue what-so-ever. She immediately cut-off the caller several times calling her hypersensitive, then invoked the "I have a black friend" token card as to not be labeled as racist. When anyone does that, they are racist. She could not even admit that repeatedly using the n-word was not innapropriate. What I find more appalling is that her employer didn't come outride and just fire her. She had a choice to leave and not renew her contract.

August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dino

Oh boy. And you are such a wise judge of character yourself. Give it a rest.

August 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cheryl

Don't let the door hit you on the way out lady.

August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. spacee

S e e Ya L a t e r D o c t o r C r a c k e r . . .

August 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David in Houston

Ah... I'm really going to miss her intolerance and condescension. As one of the millions of "biologically defective" gay men in this country, I'd like to add: ciao baby!

August 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

I'll second that emotion!

August 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Burn her in effigy at the next 'pride day' parade! Such fun!

August 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TFBuckFutter

What's "radio"?

August 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

It's an outdated mode of communication but the luddites and evangelicals think it's HOT. For them it's new stuff.

August 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Timus

Sounds like someone would rather quit than stop saying the N word!!

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Yep. A case of "I can't be a racist so I'll just go home and stick pins in my Obama voodoo doll."

August 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ruth

I don't use the word and don't approve of it, but hear it used quite often. To believe it's not being used is foolish.

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Give Me a Break

What a joke, Dr. Laura. Your First Amendment Rights? You have them. The First Amendment only guarantees that the government can't sanction you for speech, and the government hasn't. Any other consequences of the stupid things you say are yours and yours alone to bear. You used a racial slur repeatedly, you failed to understand the impact your words would have, and now fire is raining down on your head. Frankly, I'm surprised that this is the stupid thing that you've said that is taking you down... there have been so many. If you don't have the guts to take getting called to the carpet for the hatred you spew on the airwaves, don't spew it. Go. Quit. Hit the rubber chicken lecture circuit where you can pack the room with people who think the way you do.

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marcia

I have a of question of my own: why didn't the woman who called Dr. Laura regarding this issue, take matters into her own hands in the beginning by stopping the neighbor's and family member's comments head on? If she would have confronted these insensitive neighbors and family members when these comments initially started, perhaps her telephone call to Dr. Laura could have been averted. She could have also confronted her husband, who did nothing to stop the unwanted comments, about those issues as well. Sometimes one has to take matters into their own hands and not depend on anyone else to fight your battles. This woman could have easily said to the neighbors and family members: "I don't like, nor do I care for your rude and insensitive remarks regarding my color, I want an apology, and I want this behavior to stop immediately. If you do neither, than you will never be welcomed to my home again. Do you understand?"
    Period. End of story.

August 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

That is what i was thinking. That woman needs to grow a spine. Because the first time someone comes into my house and disrespects me is the last time they come into my house. And if the hubby even said boo to me he would be sleeping out on the lawn

August 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penelope

The caller, Jade contacted Dr. Laura after her numerous 'confrontations' with her husband were met without change. That is the first thing she said to Dr. Laura.

I had a cousin who married a white man and met similar treatment by his family. They would say the 'n-word' to send a message to her. After talking and fighting with her husband, she let the w**te t**sh slur 'slip out' on a couple of occassions and the relatives got her message. LMBO.

If you notice Jade's demeanor throughout the call, it is evident she is very much of a lady and tried to resolve this matter civily but, sometimes civility is folly. But, can't blame Jade for trying to "do the right thing".

August 18, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. K

What don't people get? First Amendment rights do not protect you from criticism. The very fact that she is quitting her job to move on with her life shows that her rights were not violated – if they had been, she would be facing charges and unable to move on, let alone able to continue her show. First Amendment rights protect you from retaliation by government – meaning your speech is not illegal and cannot be used against you. They don't protect you from anger, criticism, or firing if your speech has damaged your employer enough they deem it necessary! She can now use racial slurs all day long just like she did on her show if she wanted to – and she would be within her rights – the only thing that will change is now she doesn't have to listen to people criticize her.

August 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mstfd

Yes, try using that language in a professional job and see how long you last. Good riddance.

August 17, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. steve

ThankGod. It is my opinion that this woman should never has been on the air. She is exactly why we are considered ugly americans. Rest well.

August 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |