August 24th, 2010

Passenger plane crashes in China

A plane carrying 96 passengers crashed in northeast China Tuesday night, government and airline company officials told state-run media.

The Henan Airlines flight crashed about 10 p.m. Tuesday in Yichun City, officials told the Xinhua News Agency.

Rescuers were rushing to the scene, Xinhua said.

Read full story.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • China • World
  1. Steve Michaels

With the improvement of technology every single day, we expect planes to be even more stronger and stable. What is going on really? Each and every day, I read some plane going down. I am actually getting scared now than ever before to fly!

August 24, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Patricia D.

I know! I feel like I read something almost everyday about scary landings or planes crashing...what is going on?!?!

August 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Niclas

It's way too early to tell what happened but overall when it comes to the Chinese market I'd explore the training practices of all airlines in that country. As an airline pilot who frequently flies into China and occasionally gets to fly as a passenger on several Chinese airlines I'd look into several issues but the training being the main one.

The Chinese aviation market is growing very, very fast with fewer and fewer well trained pilots available. The result is a hodgepodge of pilots with various backgrounds, nationalities and levels of experience flying for the Chinese airlines. Having talked to several of my friends who're currently employed in China I believe they now have a severe safety issue and that it will only get worst before it gets better. Again, my comment is no about the current accident as we don't have enough info yet. Rather it pertains to the Chinese airline market overall. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this accident.

August 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Montello

Niclas, I travel in China quite a bit and fully agree. I'm only a private pilot but have seen some pretty scary things on Chinese internal airlines. As a matter of fact, I take the train if I can get there in less than a day, rather than fly.

August 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. watch dog

Ching Chong you are just plain WRONG!

August 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. nirma

Heeyy, what the hell is that kind of comment? Silly Racist!

August 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lee-Loi Chieng

Oh my, I wonder how many of them died....

August 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jo Holland

I think some airplane companies have to buy new planes ,, thEy think that plaNEs will last forever. So is it strange that these last days. Planes come down like rain

August 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

Cat - freedom of religion. don't like it, get out.

commie.

August 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

Too many planes crashing lately. "LACK' of good maintenance is finally catching up, and this is tragically the "end" result.
    Safer to swim in "shark infested" waters, than to fly any more.

August 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chad

Just another product of MBA's outsourcing design and maintenance with no idea how complex it is to design an airplane.

August 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dennis Chapman

Do you have a sister named S Palin. and a brother R. Paul?? You are an example of the no common sense, dumb Americans that I am ashamed of!!

August 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gg

that is a E190 plane, which is made in Brazil. according to hongkong media.

August 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sarcastic Joi

To the idiot ("Ching Chong") that didn't think prior to commenting...possibly the pilot was not of Asian descent. I hope they make a comeback joke on you. Some people's tragic situations should not come out as being a joke.....like your Moms giving birth to you {BAM!!} Now I doubt if he or she wasn't...but you just seemed too sure you were funny. My man, you're not.

August 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobmc2

Most of the above are ignorant comments! A plane crashed ... don't be ignorant and callous!

August 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin2

I bet North Korea did it.

August 24, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzoue

I agree with Jo...they need to replace those airplanes for real, this is no Joke

August 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CHINESE CHICKEN

WOOOD YOU LIKE FIRED RICE WITH THAT? HOW BOUT SOME BREADED DOG FEET?

August 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |