August 26th, 2010

Prosecutors dismiss charges against Blagojevich's brother

Prosecutors have dismissed all charges against Robert Blagojevich, brother of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, defense attorney Michael Ettinger told reporters Thursday.

Robert Blagojevich was previously charged with two counts of extortion conspiracy and one count each of wire fraud and extortion.

"I was in shock, and still am," Ettinger said. He said when he told his client, Robert Blagojevich said, "'Oh my God, oh my God.' And I told him 'You're done. You're free.' His wife is hysterical."

Ettinger said prosecutors told a judge at a hearing Thursday they were dropping the charges because of "the disparity in the roles between Robert and Rod" and "in the interests of justice."

Filed under: Justice • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Sherlock Steve

Robert Blagojevich's case may well be dismissed against him. But he faces God now. In God's court, nobody can help Robert Blagojevich! WHY? Because GOD has already found Robert Blagojevich GUILTY and will be sentenced to an eternity of punishment: First in Hell and then in the lake of Fire. Prepare for your eternity, Blagojevich brothers, becuase it's gonna happen and you can't stop it.

August 26, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abhijit Dey

Jesus freak?

August 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

What? Are you kidding me God? I am a Catholic, however I would like to know what you are smoking? I could use some of that...Dork

August 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • GOD IS FAKE

Ummmmmmm NO.

August 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

Actually, he swore on a bible he was telling the truth, and the jury didn't think otherwise. That's biblical justice as well as legal justice. But nice try, though.

August 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • greg

Give me a freakin break. Religious quacks are the reason this country is so screwed up

August 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Master_Kush

Which God are you referring to, there are 12 in today's societal breakup..

August 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rationalist

Sherlock, your name is ironic, your views are dated and your opinion reveals why your parents should have been castrated (yes both had male genetalia, you're as much of a miracle as Jesus). No one can speak for God, no one knows who will go to hell, whether hell exists, or what hell is. Sorry. The truth sucks.

August 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Owen4

I've got nothing against religious people, but I might make an exception in Sherlock's case; unless he's a fantastic satirical writer, in which case, I tip my hat. But the case against Robert shouldn't have been brought from the get-go. The evidence was flimsy and the prosecutors were using it for leverage against his brother; now that the prosecutors are getting grief about their questionable strategy at trial (and the cost of a re-trial), it made no sense to keep him in.

August 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • elaine

How is it that Christians like Sherlock Steve are "all-knowing" about God and all things related to his alleged existence while the rest of us are left in the dark. Either the prosecutors have a case or they don't. I think that they have come to realize that they were overzealous. What is in the tea leaves for yourself Sherlock Steve? Wait. Let me guess. Everlasting life? Am I right?

August 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneCitizen1

I'm afraid that no one on this earth has any idea what God will or will not do regarding the Blago brothers.

August 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

So wait....God speaks to you directly and reports his findings? Or are you just one of his people who inexplicably decides that they understand God and can speak for Him. Wow...what a gift.

August 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kev

There is no "GOD" or "jebus" or "cookie monster" or "Santa".

get real!

August 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I forgot so someone please remind me which circle of hell was devoted to those guilty of wire fraud?

August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tod Jones

You speak for GOD? Prove it!

August 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

Loki will judge him harshly!

August 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Thank you your Godship for your all knowing proclamation.

August 26, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Hey Sherlock, have you ever thought that you might have a little explaining to do when you meet your God and he gets a little ticked off when he asks you why you took on his judgment job. Just asking!

August 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MP

You made it sound like God is like us; unforgiving, unloving and racist. The God that I worship is merciful, loving and definitely not racist. His name is “I am that I am” and his son is Jesus Christ. I am not defending Robert, but who are we to say he is going to hell. God is the one who determines who goes to hell or heaven. If he did what he was accused of doing, which was dismissed, and ask God for forgiveness, God will forgive.

August 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. It Figures

Robert, his wife, and his lawyer couldn't believe this, were in shock, and hysterical, because it's not the truth. Robert was guilty, he knows it, and yet he got off the hook. "In the interets of justice" indeed!

August 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

They couldn't even snag the big fish, much less the little fish brother. Their case centers on what he talked about maybe doing. Not on what he actually did. Just because some men talk way too much does not make them guilty of anything other that diarrhea mouth.

August 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. GeorgeFBush

Disgusting. Free pass for corrupt politicians.

August 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • duluth,mn

yeah and you go by george bush,corrupt polition

August 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steven

Why, then, did Fitzgerald waste the taxpayers money and try him to begin with????

August 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sherlock steve is a D**k

Sherlock Steve are you on drugs or just a dick

August 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bojo

Ask Christ for forgiveness. All sins washed away as He paid their penalty on the Cross..

August 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. conspiracy1

Something is amiss. Suddenly dropped in the interest of justice? C'MON! Once again, like in all politics, they must think we're stupid. Someone found out something that they are not telling us.

August 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jerry

Can the government PAY HIM BACK for wrongefully accusing him, freezing his assets and the cost of attorney's. You shouldn't be able to take someone to court and wrongefully accuse them, screw up their life and not have to pay them back.

August 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

NOPE!!!! The government can screw you/your life/family/wealth with a smile and make you pay them, even if they do not convict.
      The government does not apologize on paper or with paper ($$$)...

August 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sherlock Steve

God hates me because I'm a stoopid.

August 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul

They are probably gonna get Robert to testify against Rod. This way they can get him on the stand to spill some more dirt on his brother.

August 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nwi

it has to be a part of a larger strategy to get Rod. It probably simplifies a complicated case against Rod.

August 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Master_Kush

Let me get this straight, they had 24 SERIOUS counts against Rod Blago, and Rod's attorneys' did not even put up a defense, and he was only convicted of lying to feds AFTER his case was brought against him.. So they did not find him guilty on ANY of the charges brought against him, and now the charges against his very own brother are dropped too? You know what, after hearing about this, you get ZERO cooperation from me ever again Law Enforcement. I dont care if you are looking for a missing child, you'lll use that info to abuse her later i'm sure. Forget all cops, they are dead to me..

August 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Are You Kidding??

The one charge that he was convicted on was lying to a Federal Officer. The supposed lie was when Blago explained how he kept politics and government separate.
      What idiots decided that this was a good idea? You can't convict the guy on any of the charges that were brought against him, but convict him on a conversation with Federal Officers that was about the charges that were brought against him that he WASN'T convicted of?
      The entire conversation is now moot!!! IF I was one of the team of idiots that tried Blago and lost...I'd be going back to my Law School and demanding a refund because I apparently didn't learn much.

August 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin Brooks

American justice at it's best! This really sets teh bar high for more political corruption. But did you expect anything different???

August 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. juicius

Look. They charged Rob because the feds knew the relationship was strained and they hoped that Rob would turn on his brother and cooperate. When Rob either did not turn or did not have anything significant to offer, the feds prosecuted both, not particularly caring whether Rob was going to get convicted. So now, the feds look silly so they're cutting Rob loose. Typical.

August 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

EXACTLY!!!

August 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Master_Kush

The Feds look silly because they tried to convict a man of things they KNEW he was not guilty of, and tried to bring his brother down in the process to make things worse.. The Feds or any form of Law Enforcement just created another obsctructror with me...

August 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CynicalOne

Huh? I thought they were allowed to just ask God (aka their nearest priest) for forgiveness, and then they would get to go to Heavan... did I miss a meeting?

August 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |