August 26th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ken Mehlman

The former RNC chairman and campaign manager for George W. Bush’s 2004 presidential bid has announced that he is gay.

"It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with this part of my life," Mehlman said in the Atlantic. He is now calling for the legalization of gay marriage.

Mehlman said that if he had publicly declared his sexuality sooner, he might have played a role in keeping the Republican Party from pushing an anti-gay agenda that included linking homosexuality to atheism and the Federal Marriage Amendment

He said he plans to be an advocate for gay rights and that he is still a Republican.

The Atlantic: Bush campaign chief and former RNC chair: I'm gay

Ahmed Sharif

Sharif, a New York City taxi cab driver, will speak during a news conference Thursday calling for an end to the anti-Muslim rhetoric that is gripping the city because of a proposed Islamic cultural center near ground zero.

Sharif was slashed across the neck, face, shoulder and hand Tuesday while transporting a passenger in his cab.

According to reports, Michael Enright, 21, got into Sharif's cab and the two had cordial conversation. Then, reports say, Enright started cursing at Sharif and shouted "Assalamu Alaikum, consider this a checkpoint," before slashing him.

Sharif was able to escape and flag a police officer, who arrested Enright.

Enright has been charged with attempted murder in the second degree as a hate crime, assault in the second degree as a hate crime, aggravated harassment in the second degree as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

Sharif, a Muslim from Bangladesh, has lived in the United States for 25 years and been a taxi driver for 15 years, according to the New York Taxi Workers Alliance. He has four American-born children.

CNN: Slashed cab driver to call for end to anti-Muslim rhetoric

New York Post: 'Bigot' slashes Muslim cabby

New York Daily News: Victim in bloody attack 'saw so much hate' in face of assailant

Mary Bale

The English bank worker has apologized for sticking Lola the cat inside a garbage dump, an act caught on video and shown around the world.

Bale said she is “profoundly sorry.”

“All I want to do is put things right,” including apologizing to Lola’s owners Darryl and Stephanie Mann, her neighbors in Coventry, England.

The 4-year-old gray tabby was walking along a wall when Bale stroked its back and urged it to come to her. Then Bale picked it up and dumped it into a trash bin.

Bale faces possible animal cruelty charges, officials said. She hasn’t explained why she did it.

Daily Mail: What made bank worker dump cat in wheelie bin?

Telegraph: Dumping cat was 'misjudgment' culprit claims

Joyce and Chuck Linkey

The retired couple was set to move into their new home in Pass Christian, Mississippi, in five days. Then Hurricane Katrina hit. Water, mud, debris and garbage obliterated their home, along with 1,800 others in the city.

“All the devastation was here,” Chuck Linkey said. “You drove down the street and you felt sick. Even coming in and out you’d say, ‘Who’d want to live here?’”

Their children begged them to relocate, but the Linkeys chose to rebuild, hoping others would return. Chuck Linkey, a retired contractor, did a lot of the work himself.

When neighbors began to return and rebuild in his community, he offered them his tools to use.

"We lived out here two years with absolutely nobody. You woke up in the middle of the night, you didn't have street lights. You didn't have nothing," said Chuck Linkey.

Now, neighbors credit the Linkeys for encouraging them to come home.

WLOX: Couple credited for inspiring Katrina-shattered neighborhood

1. Jeremy

Next week he'll say that he plans to vote liberal Democrat. Well, at least he hasn't cheated on his wife or molested a child, that we know of.

August 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anita

OMG, betcha he is making up for lost time!

August 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MassiveMarbles

Be true to who you are, add your voice to the "oppressed" especially when it can do the most good. Seize the Day!

August 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RearViewMirror

the Daughter of Former Vice President D. Cheney is Lesbian.
    Now, I understand why GW Bush was holding hands with the Priince of Saudi Arabia.

August 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. johnboy

the "ideologically-pure conservative position" lately seems to be the bottom position.

August 26, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RearViewMirror

1st, Conservatives Publicly preach to be Faithful to your Wife but practice otherwise.
    2nd, Conservatives Publicly preach not to be Racist but practice otherwise.
    Now, Conservatives Publicly preach that Gay/Lesbian is bad but practice otherwise.
    What is worst, been a liar or a been honest???

August 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Willie James

I imagine that many conservatives are gay. There was a lot of talk at the time that Reagans team had several gay members and same thing for Bush's. What the hell difference does it make? I really don't have the time or patience with worrying about who does what in the bedroom.

August 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DNA

"It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with this part of my life"
    Why is that? Oh! you spent your whole life around jerks who hate you for what you are! Mehlman, you're an idiot and a coward for sucking up to those evil people you served like a dog. This gay man has no respect for you.

August 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RearViewMirror

In America, the Divorce Rate is the Highest in the World at 63% within 5 years.
    Who is trying to save Marriages?

August 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tombny

Didn't Mehlman work under Dick Cheney...

August 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Boulder Liberal

Ongoing Series: The Midwest is Scandalized!

Billy Bob and Lucky Jo Quailer: a typical conservative, Midwestern American couple

The curtain rises…

Lucky Jo: Oh, Honey! Oh, no! God, no! The gays are at it again! Now those awful liberals are making gays out of nice Republicans!

Billy Bob: What the sam hill, Lucky! What are yew talkin' bout? Republicans can't be gay!

Lucky Jo: Look here, dear... this man, this former George Bush man says he's gay!

Billy Bob: He musta been given the Mary Jane and LSD by the liberals and then brainwashed, I tells ya.

Lucky Jo: All we have bleeved in... it's all falling apart! I bleeved in George Bush, I got Dick Cheney's autograph, I took my lipstick to Sarah Palin's pep rallies. I bleeved in all o' them! It's all a lie!

Billy Bob: Shut your trap, woman! I should smack you! How dare yew even think about offending my faith, my faith in these everlastin' gifts of thi Lord. I am thi head of this family and I shall smite thee if you fail to submit to your husband's will!

Enter Billy Jo, their 24-year-old son…

Billy Jo: Mom... Dad... I think I'm gay….

Billy Bob and Lucky Jo: Ahhhh! Good lord! The liberals...those damn liberals!

The parents continue to scream….

Stay tuned for Billy Bob's all-too-predictable response to his son's coming out....

August 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

Live and let Live. Very Brave to come out. Make sure you distant yourself from Beck and Palin or the will try to bring you down with their lies and deciet. ? wonder how they will try and distant Bush from you.

August 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe Jones

I thought all Republicans were gay. They've been sodomizing the middle and lower class for years.

August 26, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Timmy

Isn't he 44? When does one realize they're gay? Did he realize it when he was a 1 year-old?

August 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Doug

Thanks buddy, while my partner and I paid taxes on health care you sat and did nothing...

August 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |