August 26th, 2010

Toyota announced voluntary safety recall for Corollas

Toyota has announced a "Voluntary Safety Recall" on Certain Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix Models, CNNMoney.com has confirmed.

The company says the recall is to address some “Engine Control Modules (ECM) that may have been improperly manufactured.”

The voluntary recall is for the approximately 1.13 million 2005-2008 model Corolla and Corolla Matrix models sold in North America.

No other Toyota or Lexus vehicles are involved in this recall, the company says.

There are three unconfirmed accidents alleged to be related to this condition, one of which reported a minor injury, the company says in its press release.

FULL CNNMONEY.COM STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Recalls • Toyota
  1. jeff

At least they're not waiting for people to die this time...

August 26, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bananaman

toyota has weighed the cost of recall vs the cost of bad publicity and lawsuits and have determined that it would be cheaper to fix the cars. if not for the problems with the runaway toyotas earlier in the year it would be cheaper to let the customer die.

August 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

You mean the ones that an actual study, rather than a media/political roasting, found were due to driver error, i.e. people swearing they were hitting the brake when they were actually hitting the gas? Amazing how fast that finding got swept under the rug, kind of like the stories about Chevy vehicles steering locking up while driving.

August 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Benson

I have a 2007 Matrix. I had this problem and had the engine control module replaced. Luckily it was still under warranty and I dind't have to pay. On the downside, I am not getting as good of mileage as I was before the problem. I have teken it back but they say not much of anything they can do about that. Not sure I I would buy another Toyota.

August 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Oklahoma29

Chalk another up for Toyota. Maybe one day they can turn around and be the quality cars they use to be. I think it will be an extremely long road ahead for Toyota (no pun intended). Also, why are the majority of these recalls in the U.S.?

August 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. demmieKrat

did you all miss the artivle a few days ago about the 3million unit Jeep cherokee recall?

August 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rigger_b

Maybe this will start Toyota looking at oither Corolla problems like the fact that ALL Corollas stop recording at 299,999 kms on the odometer. This makes the cars unsaleable unless you pay to replace the odometer yourself since Toyota is refusing to tqake responsibility for a manufacturing defect (because it doen't show up until the warranty has expired)

August 26, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*Jospr

I own a Lexus and a Lincoln. In July I had an accident in the Lexus due to the unintended acceleration problem. The problem is real and dealing with Lexus had not been easy, they trying to convince you that you Re crazy that basically is in your mind the problem. Is very dissapointed, it took theme a month to inspect the veh and now I am waiting for a report. I really will never feel safe in that veh anymore, I just want theme taking responsibility and fix the problem cause the acceleration does really happen. I realli love my MKZ lincoln, no problem at all.

August 26, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Name*Jospr

I will ever buy a Toyota or Lexus again, nobody can play with your safety and that is what they are doing. An accident can happen with any car however ones they know about a problem can cause an accident or people life is not a joke they should step up and come clear, can not be that many small old ladies in the first stage of demmentia driving their veh, cause that basically what they.claim.

August 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. amust

we need small car companies ...bigger is not always better...toyota wanted to be number 1 and now has seemingly number one quality problem.

August 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. U-S-A

all major car companies have recalls or "campaigns". most if not all are done for saftey reasons. i love my corolla.

August 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. H-R 1

even a recalled toyota is better than a bailed out chevy

August 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. H-R 1

the jeep recall is drifferent. It is an obama car LOLLOL

August 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Blu

The Toyotas we drive are mostly manufactured (including their parts) in North America....including two plants in Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas. Soon there will be another plant manufacturing more in Tupelo. Honda and Nissan also have manufacturing roots in North America. A majority of the cars we drive from GM and Ford, are made in Mexico and their parts imported. What may seem to be imports to you are actually made by hardworking Americans right here in the states.

August 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawg

That plant in Tupelo may never open!!! Mississippi gave them hundreds of million so dollars to build the plant and Toyota has yet to produce a car there. Oh well.

August 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. H-R 1

DITO

August 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Arick

Lets see. My Toyota has 320,000 miles on it and has never had a major problem. Owned a Ford, transmission dead at 160,000 miles. Owned a Buick, engine dead at around 120,000 miles. Owned a Chevy, dead transmission at around 100,000 miles.

Yeah...I'll stick with Toyota and let you hurr durr derp rednecks have your Chevy and Ford junk.

August 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AricktheAdick

Tell you what Adick all of those cars had one thing in common you as the driver. Since you are another internet moron probably lying through his teeth keep spending your money with compaines based over seas that way when your moron kids grow up and have no jobs you can tell them why.

August 26, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DAVE

People need to calm down. There were 3 minor accidents- this isn't earth shattering. Toyota obviously isn't taking any chances. Ha, ha "buy domestic cars." I once worked for a rental car outfit a few years ago, and we went to pick up some compact Ford's for our fleet. Honestly, when I got into the car with ZERO miles on it, and started it up, it sounded like it had 100,000 miles on it. There were weird noises everywhere, and we had to put it into the shop. It had major electrical and engine issues right off the assembly line. Hopefully, Ford's quality has improved since then, but I've had no problems with the BMW's, Nissan's, or Toyota's I have owned.

August 26, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawg

No car has zero miles on it said you lie. They all have mileage from the factory testing, etc... Nice try.

August 26, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

"with ZERO miles on it"

Impossible. You are lying (and badly).

August 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVE

Dawg and Chris, um you both are idiots. It had less than 50. Zero isn't figure to be taken literally.

August 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |