August 27th, 2010

Japan reveals long-secretive execution process

Red tape marks the trap door through which an inmate falls as he or she is hanged.

Japan, one of the few industrialized countries with the death penalty, showed one of its execution chambers to the media for the first time Friday.

Reporters were shown the death chamber at the Tokyo Detention Facility, one of seven used across the country, according to a report in the Mainichi Daily News.

Pressing a button in another room releases the trap door.

The unprecedented media access was ordered by Justice Minister Keiko Chiba, who after witnessing the deaths of two condemned prisoners last month, said she wanted to have a national debate on capital punishment in Japan, Mainchi reported. Chiba has previously spoken against the death penalty.

Execution in Japan is carried out by hanging.

The chamber showed to the media on Friday had no noose suspended from the ceiling but showed a trap door outlined in red. The condemned fall to a room below the execution chamber where their deaths are confirmed.

Reporters were not shown that room out of "consideration for the inmates' family and wardens," according to the Mainichi report.

A room where inmates are told they are about to be executed and can meet with a chaplain.

They did see other areas involved in the execution process, including the room where a button is pushed to release the trap door, a room where the condemned can get religious last rites or an entry room where inmates are told they are about to be executed.

In an accompanying article in Mainichi, prison officials described Japan’s execution process, long shrouded in secrecy.

The two men executed on July 28, Ogata Hidenori, 33, and Shinozawa Kazuo, 59, were the first put to death since the August 2009 elections in Japan, according to Amnesty International. The organization says 107 prisoners remain on death row in Japan.

Post by:
Filed under: Death Penalty • Japan • Justice
  1. american citizen

This justice is speaking out against the death penalty. I wish they said why she is against it. If it is because they wrongly
    convict someone? What about all the prisoners who are guilty who did have the smoking gun in their hands? Are they
    concerned about give them the death penalty? Have the discussion !!! Is this just a new kind of welfare for people who
    can't get along in the general population?

August 27, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Other than that is a barbaric practice? I'm not sure that anyone would need another reason than that really. Note the first sentence of the article. That means that most industrialized (read: modern) countries do NOT have the death penalty. Something to think about...

August 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

To Dan, not really, I don't have to think about it at all, why should I care what they think? If someone murders my family member, I want them to pay, and they should, it is that simple, really. What about the guy that tortures his victims to death? Was that not barbaric? So why do we treat these barbaric criminals better than the victims? In my opinion, you are the barbaric person, you are wanting to reward the criminal, and you do not care about the victims at all. That is what I get from your response.

August 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Foureyes

Perhaps she's a Christian.

August 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • will

I'm against the death penalty for the simple fact that it is an absolute, irrevocable punishment and we do not have a perfect justice system. In a long enough timeline, innocents will surely be put to death. It's inevitable and unacceptable to me.

August 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • widowed

my wife was murdered...15 years waiting for the appeals to run out, so justice can finally be dispensed...that's about 14 years too long. my biggest fear/anger generator is not living long enough to see that frakker die. 15 years that our children never got to know/learn from their mother.

August 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • don't need to think about it

if it is obvious... and there are some that are clear cut, DEATH is way better than paying for prison and better for the victim's family, don't have to hear about the appeals etc and worry that some lawyer finds some loop hole

August 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Jonez

As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

August 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Yes, Brad, we should treat criminals better than they treat their victims.

That's the difference between us and them, they are cold blooded killers, we are merciful.

August 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • zounds

As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

"Ai-yai-yai-yai-yai": Ricky Ricardo

August 27, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

This is why we shouldn't let women vote, or hold office. Before long she'll turn it into California with free weed and no jobs.

August 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Hunter

"DEATH is way better than paying for prison"

You do realize that once you add in the legal costs of executing a prisoner it costs more to kill them then it does give them life in prison. Of course you could always make it easier to execute someone, which would cut down on legal costs. The problem with that is that you would have more people who were wrongly convicted getting executed.

August 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Brad, you're an idiot. You don't have to Think about it – that tells me all I need to know about your and your redneck system of justice.
      See, what you and the other apparent Texas residents on here end up saying is they need to be made to PAY for their crimes. They killed someone, so they must DIE.
      That's not justice. That's revenge.
      And THAT's why there should be no death penalty. The courts are not in the 'revenge' business, but administering Justice.

August 28, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • not telling

all i have to say is watch the movie Law abiding citizen. was he wrong for what he did yes...but has crap like that happened before YES...i think the death penalty is stupid only because its not enforced. what happened to justice in this country!! to let a known killer live his life out lifting weights and and watching tv. For all those against the death penalty. If you were killed tomorrow and you left a wife and kids behind...how would your family feel if the killer lived to be and old man. Our justice system is broken!!! a hanging imo is quick, easy, and almost painless...the only life that should be mourned is the one that was taken unjustly(victim for the smart A**s on here)alright im done flame away democrats!!!

September 1, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Why should I as a tax payer support someone who will never contribute anything to society? What gives anyone convicted of a smoking gun premetated murder the right to be given a roof , three meals a day, tv, dayroom, computer etc. when their victim and the family members are left with nothing but sorrow. our prisons are already over crowed with toomany worthless individuals that are living on our dime and have no intentions of changing.

September 1, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
    • kado

I'm not sure how I feel about the death penalty. I'm all for it until I hear about someone cleared with new evidence that completely exonerates them. That does happen. But, I will also admit this: If someone I loved was killed and I knew wihtout doubt the person was guilty and they got off, they would be MINE. I'd make it my life's work. And I would not use the courts.

September 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ningjua

It is my opinion that the main reason that people are for the abolition of the death penalty is because they are concerned that concentrating on the smoking gun only takes away the collective consciousness' attention from the aspects in society -economic belief based ideological, which bring about the conditions in our society which cause it to want to have the need of having a trigger.

September 7, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

I will donate the Rope.

August 27, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Mikael

That's because you're tough, justice-minded, manly, and, presumably, posses extra rope.

August 27, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

lol mikael

August 27, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • IDidThis

I will make the rope.

August 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Davethecanuck

Mikael...
      I choked for a second on my sandwich when I got to the extra rope part, then lmao.

August 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • the Marquis

Indeed, Mikael, you get the award for funniest entry on this page.

August 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ayv binFhartin

Mikael – I could not help but laugh out loud... The boss heard me, but it's worth getting fired over. That was just too good.

August 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • donate

perfect response, can't add to that

August 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dimwitted

Extra rope - I don't get it.

August 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peezcake

I think he meant "surplus rope".
      What is "extra" rope, anyway?
      Can rope be extra? Extraneous, perhaps.

August 28, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
    • D.J.

Dave.........you supply the rope and I'll pay the shipping cost to get it where it needs to be.

August 28, 2010 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I'm sort of undecided about the death penalty, but I found it almost more depressing that some people didn't get the joke. Hilarious.

August 31, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Topsy

I guess I'll tie the noose then!

September 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Russ

I used to believe in the death penalty, especially for horrible crimes. Now I don't. One reason is many people are discovered to be innocent after spending years in prison. But the second one is when they are executed, they escape thinking about what they have done or experiencing the misery of being locked up for the rest of their life. I believe when you die, it is over. Everything. That is too good for these animals. They need to feel remorse, and if not that, misery and hopelessness.

August 27, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Lorrain

yes but while you keep them alive and HOPE they feel remorse/misery.......the victims families have to do the same. It's like they've killed them as well. I say if it's proven..........they must die as well for their crimes.

August 27, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

They don't feel any remorse. And they have it pretty good in prison–three hots and a cot, free health care, etc. They're not suffering.

August 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason B.

First, some never feel any remorse. Second, execution is much cheaper than 50+ years in prison. Third, what of those with multiple life sentences? There are some prisoners for which there is no doubt of innocence, and they will never ever be let out on parole. Dennis Rader comes to mind. He'll never see the outside world again. I'd prefer he be executed and save a jail space for a "lesser" criminal, not to mention the money saved from not housing him.

August 27, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

That "many" is actually very few. Yes, there are a handful of wrongful convictions but those are far and few between. Some might argue that even one is enough to warrant no death penalty but that just leaves the thosands who did commit horrible crimes a relatively comfortable life in prison.

August 27, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Jason B.- It's a common myth that the death penalty is cheaper than life in prison. l conducted research into the fact and honestly there's no logical reason for it. 1. It's more expensive than life in prison because the state has to pay all costs up front (such as trial costs, appeals etc) . 2. It's not as human as you would think. Since doctor's cannot perform executions there are often botched. Lastly, studies indicate the death penalty does not actually deter crime. The only thing it's good for is to make people feel vindicated. So, if that's your goal than cool but other reasons have ben disproved.

August 27, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Actually, executing someone costs much more than life in prison because of the appeals process involved to try and prevent innocent people from being executed (which still occurs, and might have recently happend in texas involving a man accused of setting his house on fire with family inside).

So what you essentially have with the death penalty is a costlier system that runs the risk of killing innocent people, contrasted against the less expensive option of life in prison.

August 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Steph

You know what the problem is Russ? I would agree with you if prisons weren't 4-star hotels. I've never had to opportunity myself to set foot inside a prison but I have a very good friend of mine who is a prison guard and he tells me inmates have it better than in some hotels.

If prisons were designed to make you reflect and regret you actions it would be different. Of course then you'd get those people who would call it torture and inhumane.

It use to be that the thought of going to prison would make you panic but now it seems like everyone is going to prison for on crime or another.

Then there's the financial aspect... you and I and all taxpayers are paying out of our pockets to keep these guys living in their 4-star hotel/prison. We're all paying for them to be rehabiliated only to have many of them released and re-commit the same crime they were put in prison to begin with!

In the case of violent crimes where the accused shows no sign or remorse and it is prooven that he/she is guilty, I think the death penalty should be carried out. If that was the "norm", it MIGHT just make people think twice.

That's just my two pennies worth...

Steph.

August 27, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

So Rob, are you willing to be one of the innocents executed just to make sure we get most of the guilty?

August 27, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • MrSleeve

To Mary: Good points all, but circular reasoning. The reason executions are so expensive is because opponents of the death penalty have ensured through the appeals process that it takes years and millions of dollars in legal fees; this has been going on for years. Where this process streamlined, it would be far less expensive than life in prison by a great deal.

The notion that the death penalty doesn't deter crime is very weak. First, the person executed will never commit another crime, and second, there is no way to count crimes that DID NOT occur because the notion of being executed gave the person pause, so he didn't commit it. The persons that are asked if the DP was a deterrent are people who have already committed a crime, so again, circular reasoning. If they are on death row, clearly the DP was no deterrent.

We have bent over backwards to insure that the DP is carried out as humanely as possible. However, the goal is to execute the person, toward that end, they are never "botched." They don't return from the dead for a do-over.

Without elaborating, I have been close to a murder victim whose killer got the DP. We forgave him for slaughtering our loved one, but we had not a qualm about the perp, a career criminal out on parole, being executed..

August 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • fernando

WRONG. IF they killed someone it probably didn't bother them then so why woulud it bother them to have to think about it for the rest of there life. america is so weak..............why pay for them to be in prison for the rest of their life. the rope is practicaly free....its reusable. u kill...............u die........simple! so tired of these liberals crying when a person who rapped and murdered a lilttle girl gets the death penalty and clubs like aclu crys that its to inhumane to kill a killer.....they just need some rehab.........what about the rehab for the dead girl , can she get rehab? no shes dead. some of these liberals children need to be killed and then they will understand law and order.......if there is trash............you take it out!!! move on

August 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • american citizen

For some people prison is more like home (those that have been in and out of prisons), so how could you expect them to be remorseful? I am not sure how or when this would occur? You can't make someone feel remorse can you? The old saying is an ounce of prevention is worth more then a pound of cure. When we talk about the death penalty, I believe people are talking about the" pound of cure" to this problem.

August 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Active Enlisted

The cost of 'hoping they feel really bad for the rest of their lives' isn't worth it. I wish in indisputable cases they walked them into the chamber as soon as the gavel pounded and sat them down and hit the switch! Why spend over 30K a year on someone who is guilty beyond any doubt.

August 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • fiddlefaddle

Even though statistics indicate executions are not a direct one-for-one deterrent on crime, I think there is a societal value in closure for the community at large if not for the victim's family. Thousands of unresolved crimes (and I mean unresolved in a larger sense – even if the perp is apprehended, there is still a nagging feeling that he never really got punished properly) contribute to the old "broken windows" school of thinking where the populace feels that nobody is really in charge so...wht bother. This spills over into the criminal elements in that there is a perception that "it's not really that bad" and can, in fact, get away with murder. It's a tough call – I think only to be used if they are triple-dog sure the guy is guilty.

August 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

"They need to feel remorse, and if not that, misery and hopelessness."

That idealism doesn't match reality. Many of them are neurologically incapable of feeling remorse. And once they adapt to prison life and it's all they know for most of their lives, misery and hopelessness are hardly a motivational factor any more.

August 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Mary,
      The death penalty is the only rock solid detrrent. How many executed prisoners can commit violent crimes AFTER you put them down? NONE. When did the death penalty extend to every other violent felon as a lesson? It's supposed to ensure that the low life slime bag that cannot function in society is prevented from ever repeat offending again. If you look at penalties as deterrents, too many worthless criminals don't have the moral fiber to equate a tradeoff for immediate satisfaction. If you use that example of penalties being deterrents, why have prisons at all?? They don't sem to deterr criminals either, ditto for laws too.

August 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

@Mary "t's a common myth that the death penalty is cheaper than life in prison"

Are you factoring in the cost savings from trials where suspects plea-bargain rather than face the death penalty? Also, sentences as a result of plea bargain in states with the death penalty are longer than in states without. It is easy to make your point when you exclude important costs.

August 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • herwin

i dont understand why compare criminals with animals, and what animals you mean ? squirells ? dolphins ? anteaters ?

August 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

"Many of them are neurologically incapable of feeling remorse"

How did the criminal come to be neurologically incapable of feeling remorse? If anyone should get the death penalty it should be the people who were responsible for raising the criminal. People aren't born bad, they aren't born with the desire to kill people. You can't end someone's life because people in that person's life failed them. Its not their fault.

August 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

I am against capital punishment because it costs the taxpayer much more than keeping someone in jail for the rest of their lives, what with appeals, etc. Why don't we just put them to work? Hell – give them a choice. Live with the absolute bare necessities or learn a skill and work for a wage. Charge them room and board, at a profit. Tax them to the tune of 90% or more. Turn the prisons into profitable ventures to fund the justice system and to compensate victims.

The rest of us have to work and pay taxes – why shouldn't criminals?

August 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

The fact is, between the European Union, Canada and the U.S., The U.S. is the only country with capital punishment. It also is the country with the highest murder rate. So much for deterrent.

August 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • HMMMM

Do we not get appeals on life sentences as well...I don't see how ridding the world of an oxygen waster is more expensive than keeping them around wasting my air. Amazing how people worry about their rights and being "humane" to these murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc...were they worried about their victims. I have personally watched exectuions in another country and believe me the kids watching the sword remove the heads were not thinking about how criminal felt, they were thinking I am NOT going to do anything that will get me knelt down and my head removed.

August 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edgar Friendly

"You know what the problem is Russ? I would agree with you if prisons weren't 4-star hotels."

My uncle spent 10 years in a federal minimum security prison (drug running in the 70's, then ran for a decade or so). It was about as nice as prisons get, and it was still no picnic. Death row inmates, on the other hand, live on (get this!) death row. Death row is always in a maximum security prison.

This "prison is a picnic" crap comes from privileged white people who have no idea what it's actually like. Even if it WAS a country club, you're locked up with the worst people humanity has to offer. It's extremely dangerous.

August 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

I never believed in the death penalty until I knew someone who was murdered in cold blood. I can't imagine his killers getting to live a full life when they took away his. You might call it revenge, but I call it justice.

August 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • I call it justice

ever watch these guys in prison on those TV shows

just hope the lot of them never get released on the public... that twilight zhone inside of prisons does permanent damage, better to send them to hell, don't beieve rehab is possible and certainly don't want to pay for life in prison

August 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You're wrong Lorrain.

Vengeance does not bring your loved one back, nor does it bring peace to your sense of loss. Vengeance eats you from the inside, just as hatred does.

August 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Russ, why should we pay $30,000+ a year to keep this person in prison after they showed no regard for life what-so-ever?

August 27, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Locking them up for more than 10yrs is too expencive. Becides if you want remorse we have drugs for that. Shoot him up with LSD and be eaten to death by kittens. >^^<

August 27, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmmmm

so many people/children are homeless and with out food but we house and feed murderers and rapist.

August 28, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Devil's Advocate

My question is... When people are executed, do they escape hell? Is it truly considered payment for their sins?

August 28, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • joeNYC

@Rob.

If even one innocent is executed then the system is flawed.

We know factually that MANY innocents have been mistakenly executed. So I just can't understand why 'civilized' states continue to kill people. It's not like we can resurrect them when the correct DNA evidence comes to light....

August 31, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan D

Yeah… one of the core tenants of the justice system in the US is that it 'is better to let a hundred guilty men go free than condemn one innocent man.' Or at least that is what I was always taught, I guess I'd have to search to see where that fits in, obviously it isn't a law, probably a quote from a framer, or possibly from a SCOTUS opinion or dissent...

August 31, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

As someone nearing the completion of his PhD in criminal justice, I am firmly against the death penalty and it has nothing to do with me believing criminals should live. It has more to do with the fact that we have an imperfect system that is rife with disparities. How can I support a death sentence in a system that does not fairly distribute such a sentence?

Also, our society relishes our personal freedoms, freedoms that hinder police investigations and lead to false convictions. If we had a universal DNA database and gave investigators much more authority, then perhaps a stronger case for the death penalty could be made, but really who wants to live in that society? I sure don't. As a result, the police use whatever methods they can and often convictions can rely on eye witness testimony, which is a frightening prospect to anyone who has looked at research into the accuracy of such testimony. I just do not see how our current system is adequate for the finality of a punishment like the death penalty.

Finally, one of the biggest lessons I have learned in studying CJ is that it is the one field that everyone has an opinion on, regardless of whether they look into the research or not. I do not see anyone telling physicists how the universe operates without reading a single piece of literature, but boy will people tell me how cushy prisons are or how incompetent law enforcement is because their cousin's cousin works in a prison or because they saw this news report... it really is amazing.

September 2, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Me

@Rob

Look at what happened in Illinois and Texas. A whole bunch of death row prisoners were found innocent in the last few years. This is not a few. Even still a few innocents killed is too many. Finally locking them up for ever – meaning NO parole is a better deterrent. Much more painful.

September 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Geoff

I'll remember this the next time some LIBTARD goes off about how the US is the only industrialized nation that has the death penalty. Their ignorance is always front and center.

August 27, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • BALLZ

zzzzzzzzzz

August 27, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ScottDDD

So, the top 3 world economies all have the death penalty, and then pretty much nobody until the bottom 100 economies. That's a nice bookend.

August 27, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • OH Really

anyone that uses the term LIBTARD should be put in one of those rooms... and NO I am not a "LIBTARD"... but you sure sound some kind of TARD... to quote Danile Tosh... "you sound like half a tard yourself sir, perhaps your not the best spokesperson for your group"

August 27, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • tko

I'll remember your comment every time some conservitard espouses the Christian values upon which this country was established (oh, wait, Christ wouldn't have supported the death penalty . . . damn, let me check the old testament to find justifification for my beliefs). For the record, I'm not opposed to the death penalty except that it has been proven to be subject to error and statistics show it's not applied fairly or evenly. I just resent social conservatives who want to have it both ways – I'm against abortion but for the death penalty. Well I doubt Jesus would have supported either.

August 27, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • DefenderUS

@Geoff, I love right-wing santimonious nut jobs who listen to spurious arguments and presume them to come from intelligent people, like you. There's nothing I personally enjoy more than the roaring sound of ignorance when a so-called conservative opens his mouth – but only because it makes the real Conservatives and Christians cringe.

August 27, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Ah yes... the sheep have arrived.

August 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

No, the real ignorance is that in a country of bible thumpers there can be so many who think revenge killing is ok. Oh, that and the fact that just because there is one other country of barbarians in the industrialized world that legalizes murder in some cases that makes it ok.

August 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • I am Geoff

and I have no life except to go from my parents refrigerator to the computer to sleeping on a couch in my parent's basement

this statement brought to you by the GOPers

August 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • More Empty Retoric

Tard

August 27, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Typical anti-intellectual response from a person that would rather make ad-hominem attacks instead of performing research to back up what they have to say...you must be a christian!

August 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • backing up what I say

I thought about it a lot

no change in my post, it was what I meant

August 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Watchdog2020

"or an entry room where inmates are told they are about to be executed." ..... I kind of like that idea. If you don't tell them until the last minute they live not knowing if today is the day.

August 27, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Cree

heh that's a pretty good retribution idea. let the convicted live in fear.

August 27, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • not knowing

it is said that the farmer threatens the cow with the hit to get the cow to obey, but never actually hits the cow, the thought of the hit is worse than the hit

maybe the thought of not knowing when they will die is like that for the convicted

I like thinking of it in those terms

August 27, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peezcake

"Step inside. Have a seat.
      We flipped a coin about whether to release or execute you.
      You lost."

August 28, 2010 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
    • joeNYC

No..just kidding Convict. It's not today. Back to your cell with you...

August 31, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Niegol

Decapitation is the quickest way. or a very sharp puncture of the central nervous system disabling the prisoner with almost no pain at all.

August 27, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • OH Really

dude... too many "living dead" movies man... we have all seen Shawn of the Dead man... why is the point to do it with out pain? The debate about the death penalty aside, why would we want to make this as painless as possible for these people. Did any of them that are on death row give their victims the same consideration?

August 27, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • PenSeive

I also wonder why we are concerned with painlessness and humanity when administering death as a punishment. Straddling the fence by arguing over the nicest way to kill someone has always stricken me as absurd. If we're resolved that death is justice, the elementary ascertation that "at least we're killing them nicely" seems a weak salve for our conscience. Can our consciences be assuaged so easily? Why can we not simply own up to the fact that we are rewarding an unsanctioned murder with a premeditated and legislated one of our own? If this is to be our law, agreed upon by the majority of our people, funded by our tax dollars, and administrated by our state officials, then we should either administer death boldly and economically without regard for 'politeness', or admit that we are too squeamish, or civilized, or humanitarian to do it at all and change the law.

August 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

@Pen: Out of 280 comments, yours was the only one worth reading. Thanks!

August 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Wrong, decapitation is not always quick. In fact many times it takes two or three strikes with a sword, axe, other sharp objects, or drops from the guillatine to effectively sever the head. Also studies were conducted during the gullatine era that showed many prisoners decapitated were quite aware of what occured some up to several minutes afterwards.

August 27, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Decapitation is the quickest way

seen a lot of movies, me too, I like the thought but I recommend slow and painful

August 27, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

For criminals we wan't pain, I'd like to see the Wall St Banksters hung in low gravity. It'd be worth going back to the moon.

August 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pierrepoint

All vermin around the globe need to be eradicated.

August 27, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Thanks for sharing, Adolf.

August 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • vermin

sort of the Terminex approach, now the next step... how can we catch the criminals before they commit the crime, like that Tom Cruise movie

August 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Starting with the board of Goldman-Sachs, or AIG? working down from there.

August 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Texas Pete

Hang em high! Too bad we don't do that here anymore. Rope is a heck of a lot cheaper then the designer drugs the do executions with.

August 27, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Imabadman

Bullets are pretty cheap too. They should get gut shots, so they FEEL it before the end.

August 27, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • hanging them high

next will be designer rope

August 27, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • AD

I have never understood why we don't use plain old Heroin for lethal injection. It is dirt cheap (free from evidence lockers country wide) and is a quick and painless way to die. Plus you have the added benefit of being able to say to the kids – are you sure you want to touch that crap? It is what they use to execute prisoners, you know.

August 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Caias Ward

Until there is no chance that there can be an incorrect verdict, the death penalty is revenge, pure and simple.

For you religious types, consider Romans 12:19 before you jump to pulling the trigger.

August 27, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

Convenient of you to forget that eye for an eye part.

August 27, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

An eye for an eye, in the context of the Biblical injunction, is an upper limit, not a requirement.

August 27, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • pulling the trigger

something wrong with revenge?

August 27, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • PenSeive

If I understand correctly, the 'religious types' hail the state-sanctioned death of an innocent man as their path to salvation.

August 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • rh

The death penalty is a sure cure for recidivism, it is not just revenge, it is trying to stop a madman (or madwoman) from taking any more lives (see Jeffrey Dahmer etc.).

August 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • LWATCDR

Caias Ward.
      As one of those religious types you seem to hold in such low regard I do agree with you. Until we are 100% sure that no innocent person is convicted then it is wrong.
      It is also wrong as revenge. That is also not Christian.
      And Eye for an Eye was superseded by love they enemy and forgive them. Look up new and ever lasting covenant.

Frankly the only just application of the Death penalty IMHO is when you meet two requirements.
      1. 100% proof of guilt. Zero chance of an error. That is very hard.
      2. The criminal is so dangerous to society that any risk of his escape it too high of a risk.

If you combine those two requirements you probably will have one execution every 50 years or so.

Frankly I am personally anit death penalty.
      The reason is simple. I can not kill someone with out hating them. I just could not bring myself to kill someone that is helpless. I mean to kill some one strapped to a chair or a table that is no threat to me or my family?
      No I just can not do it. And if I can not do it then it is wrong for me to ask anybody else too.
      Simple as that.

August 27, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

How about Organ Banks, let them serve one piece at a time, till their all gone 🙂

August 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • tigerchuong

Really, death punishment is a revenging act?...LOL If a person found guilty beyond the doubt, he/she should be punish to the full extent of the law. That's simple. The law said you kill then you should be kill. That's all it is. Plain and simple. I don't know where do you get the idea of death punishment is a revenging act. I think we should hang those criminals that proved to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt right a way. That's way, we serve justice to victims, save our tax dollars, prevent crime to be commit...the list goes on. Kill them, chop them, hang them, shoot them, what's the big deal?

August 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Babooze

Definately not barbarians, they understood that keeping an inmate for many years-life cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Do the crime, pay the price.

August 27, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Economic considerations have no bearing on whether something's barbaric or not.

August 27, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • not true about economics and barbarians

Bush's last 8 years were barbaric in part due to his economic policies

August 27, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Gail

We could save even more by just starving them to death. Hell, we could even make money with pay for view gladiator matches to the death!

August 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Gail, I completely agree with you. Every Friday night on Pay Per View for just $5, prison inmates fight to the death. The winner gets a nice comfortable cell. The loser gets a small pine casket. I'd be tuning in. It could even be gambled on, since theres not much chance of someone throwing a fight to the death.

August 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • AD

Can there be just one discussion that does not involve Bush or Obama? That gets sooo old when it is not on topic.

August 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • soooo old

sorry just wanted to show relationship between barbaric and economics

August 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

In California they get better food, housing , and medical that 2/3 of the population. we have over 80% beating down the doors to get back in when they do go out.

Who is punished there?

August 27, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peezcake

"I think they should give him another wife."
      Yep! Because with another wife comes another Mother-in-Law.
      That's harsh.

August 28, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dave in Louisiana

Hang em high.

August 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • make them swim in the Gulf

or put them to work building houses

August 27, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Stupid Keiko

Leave it to a female to cause issues. Maybe some of these killers and rapists they put to death should be released to live with her. I bet she would change her mind when they got finished with her children.

August 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Xavier Speights

Hey hey hey lay off of hello kitty you guys. she cute.... an shes my idol. xoxoxo

August 27, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Hello Kitty is expensive

that cat costs me a lot of money, my daughter has to have little kitty back pack, shirts etc

August 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Squeezebox

I believe in the death penalty, but only for those who are a risk for killing others again. Someone who stabs his wife should get life in prison. A serial killer should get death.

August 27, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Hangem_High

Better way is to let the survivors family each get one stab wound until the killer is dead. Slow, methodical, and the family members get real closure.

August 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

What about someone who's a serial wife killer?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

August 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sorry, can't resist

now I'm all confused

August 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Archimeaty

I think they should give him another wife.

August 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. frediv

Killing a murder accomplishes many things: atoning for their crime in the only way possible; removing the danger to everyone else; removing their burden of supporting them (which they don't deserve!) from everyone else; no chance of them ever committing the crime again; bringing closure to the victim's family; and setting an example to other would-be murderers.

No, it's not pretty, and appealing the mass population's queasiness on the issue can prevent justice from being served. Justice deserves to be met out, regardless of people's personal distaste for death.

An issue which is separate from "should there be a death penalty" is, are we doing enough to ensure that innocent people aren't being murdered through capital punishment? There needs to be absolute evidence, beyond all actual doubt – reasonable or not. That may mean some guilty people get off the hook, but there can be no room for error.

August 27, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

To the guy commenting on "an eye for an eye". That is from the code of Hammurabi from Babylonian times. The first known codification of laws, while it may be mentioned in the bible it is not mentioned as being a law to live by, whereby "thou shalt not kill" is. If you want to base your law system on the first known one from thousands of years ago it stands to reason you are no more advanced than those people were.

August 27, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • it stands to reason you are no more advanced than those people were.

I have no problem with not being advanced

how about you, you have a problem with paying for these criminals, or prolonging the suffering of the victim's families, or god forbid one gets out and hurts you or one that you love?

August 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duck

It also says that if man kills man, then he should surely die. That sounds clear also. Also, the correct translation is not "Thou Shalt Not Kill", but "Thou Shalt Not Murder". There is a difference.

August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |