September 8th, 2010

Ontario nurse slain; cops hunt killer

Police are searching for who killed nurse Sonia Varaschin.

A pediatric nurse from Ontario has been murdered and police are asking the public Wednesday for their help finding her killer.

Sonia Varaschin was reported missing August 30 when the 42-year-old didn't show up for her morning hospital shift, said Constable Jonathan Beckett.  That same morning, someone called police about a white Toyota Corolla parked on their street in the city of Orangeville, less than a mile from Varaschin's townhouse.

Investigators noticed blood on the outside of the car, ran its tag and determined it was the nurse's car, Beckett said. Police then went to her townhouse, where they found a "significant" amount of blood inside the home and in its doorway. For more than a week, her family told local reporters that they were hoping she would be found alive, but police prepared them for the worst, Beckett said.

On Sunday, a dog walker discovered Varaschin's remains in a rural area northwest of Toronto. Investigators are looking for a beige, blood-soaked fitted sheet and comforter that they suspect were taken from Varaschin's residence, according to CNN affiliate CTV.

Beckett said it's likely Varaschin knew her killer or killers, but it is possible she did not. He declined to answer any further questions about the condition of the house or the car.

"A forensic identity team has conducted a detailed analysis of the car and Sonia's residence, and where the remains were found," said Beckett.

A Facebook page has been created to help find Varaschin's killer.

"Orangeville is a small place - only 30,000 people - so this has shaken many here," said Beckett.

Police are urging anyone who may have seen Varaschin to immediately contact the dedicated tip line at 519-941-2522, ext. 2211. Tips can also be called in to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, or emailed to police from the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch website for unsolved cases at http://www.opp.ca.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada
  1. USA Boi

I thought they didn't have murders up there in Canukistan because they didn't have guns. Michael Moore told me so. He also told me they don't even lock their doors. This report must be false.

September 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • CanadJewel

You may have been responding humorously, but yes, we do have guns here in Canada, and they are landing in the hands of city gangs and youth who feel it's their only sense of protection. Some communities are hit very hard by gun violence, especially in my city of Winnipeg. Violence is everywhere and must be stopped. And I wouldn't even think of not locking my door.

September 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • CDN Boi

Nope, this is all true. She wasn't shot, but was likely bludgeoned or strangled or stabbed. Its you bin-lids down in the N.R.A. of America that have all the guns. HAIL MICHAEL MOORE – BRINGER OF TRUTH!!!

September 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

You are right about the Michael Moore movie "Bowling for Columbine". He led me (an avid gun owner) to believe that people in Canada didn't lock the doors to their houses, didn't own guns, and had virtually no violent crime that was gun related. Not trying to be funny, just stating the facts of that silly movie Moore made. So sorry for the lady and her family. Sorry that Canada doesn't have capital punishment. This would be a justifiable situation for it. My sympathy and condolences to her family.

September 8, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • clarification

Actually, the movie pointed out that there are more guns in Canada than the US, but less murders. He did have that weird segment about walking into random peoples' homes though.

September 8, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JayKay

So sad that someone who gave herself to the greater good of helping to heal people had her life taken from her.

September 8, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LucidCitizen

Stories like this make me wish we weren't so civilized towards the perpetrators. Whoever did this deserves a painful death and a painful afterlife. God bless her loved ones through this period.

September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Martha Tapia

How can someone do something like this? My prayers for the family. Hope police catches this murder soon.

September 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Odiva

I hope they find whoever is responsible for this womans senseless and vicious death.

September 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Oklahoma29

My prayers to her family and friends. I hope justice is served asap.

September 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scam!

You might as well name the site StanScam.org.

September 8, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kw67

I don't even live anywhere near Canada (Texas to be exact), and I hope they find these evil people. I don't understand how someone could kill in cold blood. I get upset when I squish a bug.

September 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. angiebaby

Damn! what's wrong with these people. My prayers r with family and friends.

September 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. suzzi

This is for Jesus. Toronto is not at all like Detroit. I would never be so stupid as to think that all Americans are as ignorant as you!

September 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shannon

WHO. CARES. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

September 8, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

You are a heartless pig!

September 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anonymous

This is sad (my condolences to her loved ones). I live in Toronto. I hope they find the murder, fast! 🙁

September 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • CDN Boi

They did find the murder, now they're looking for who did it!

September 8, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jessica d.

I live near here and it is a horrible crime. Especially because it seems so cold, and she seems to have been a wonderful person. The death penalty wouldn't have stopped this murder from happening...I hope they find whoever is responsible. Someone has to have seen something...

September 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. catsrulz

I use to live in Orangeville and I'm so glad I left that place. Im not suprised this happened, Orangeville has a high crime rate of which most dosnt make the papers. The place has had murders in the past and will again. The place offers nothing for kids or adults to do but hang out on broadway which is a joke it self. I have knowen alot of ppl that moved to Orangeville from other place only to move out after a couple yrs cause they cant stand it there

September 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alison

This crime has rocked Orangeville to the core and even those of us who never knew Sonia are upset that someone could commit such an act. Sonia lived just a few blocks away from me and the idea that some flake is still on the loose in this town (or elsewhere) is quite unsettling. The authorities are now building a profile of the killer, focusing on a footprint made from work boots that he was wearing. I pray that they find him soon so that Sonia's family can find some sort of closure in this mess.

September 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |