September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. iamacamera

She is dressed like she is going on a date. Low cut top and skin tight pants. What does she expect, to be ignored? She didn't dress like that to be ignored. If she wants to be taken seriously then she needs to dress that way. I think she dressed provocatively hoping to get a response. Is she so naive as to think that a bunch of guys on testosterone overload won't respond exactly like they did? Nobody touched her and nobody did anything unexpected or unprovoked. If you want to be taken seriously then act like it. She's dressed like Paris Hilton would be. Why should she expect a different response? It's time for her to grow up and realize that when she dresses like that she'll get that response. If she walked by a construction site at noon in that outfit she'd get whistles which is exactly why she would do that. This is no different. She a a pretty, and shapely, woman going into a workspace occupied by normal men. Please don't try to woosify the NFL too.

September 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tluv00

Go to her website and then decide if she really cares or is milking this to get more publicity.

September 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Helmut

Bid Deal. I'm OK with Don't ask Don't Tell.

September 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Harry

It is a shame that she put in all those years studying sports, getting a degree in journalism, and fighting her way to the top, just to be treating as a piece of meat when she got there.

September 13, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. On Looker

She asked for it! look at the way she is dressed.... She should be charged for baiting! Please......

September 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nora

Oh my god!!! Your are right!!! Nobody should wear a pair of jeans and a white shirt, that is just outrageous!!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Steve

"And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “ Translation: "I didn't even realize I was offended until someone told me to be."

September 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BearsFan

Actually there was no harassment at all. According to the newNFL continuation rule, if a hot reporter does not catch the ball and maintain possession throughout the process, then the harassment is incomplete. She clearly did not catch any balls thrown her way so I don't know why the NFL is instant replaying this one.

September 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

Amazing. Apparently there are still some neanderthals around here who think that attractive women should expect to be "hooted and hollered at" because men are such incompetent imbeciles that they can't control themselves. This is the same logic Arabs use to keep their women covered from head to toe. Are you really so immature that you are incapable of acting in a properly respectful way toward a woman? Apparently our culture hasn't matured as much as we'd like to think.

September 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

Brian~ I really wonder if you are a woman writing this.. Anyways~~ everyone should You-tube the video where she is hollaring at Tom Brady before a Superbowl game asking him to marry her. My ? is. Why is it ok for her to shout at men but when men hollar at her, she is bothered by it.. Child please...Just another ploy for a no-name to make a name for themselves!

September 14, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gary Salmon

Ines Sainz should be covering beauty pageants for lttle girls! Sounds like this would be her area of knowledge!

September 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bob Frapples

What if she was hiding a Bomb in her Butt Implants...could have been a safety issue. Stupid Story..It's Football, She's a girl...
    No way would a straight man want to be in a Women's Locker Room..Seeing the the Brother's, Serena and Venus Williams could change a man forever..Ick..

September 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. C Shepard

I think I'll start a new politically correct idea and make money suing those in violation. All cars should be beige because other colors might offend someone. I LIKE IT!!!! Even if I don't win I'll collect a fee from the namby pambies who are offended. COOL!!!

September 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

From the photo posted with this article, she looks like a street walker, so why not expect to be hooted and hollared at in such an environment?

September 13, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ed

hey

September 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ed

hey you pigs mark sanchez should apologize for the whole team and take her out to dinner,then give her what she wants.

September 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. E . G.

Did anyone take the time to read this article???? Ms. Sainz wasn't the one that protested ANYTHING said to her. Another female reporter, inside the locker room at the time, was the one that called attention to this ....NOT Ms. Sainz. So all you people that are upset about how she dressed, F-OFF .... all she said was all the attention was in good spirits.

Seriously ... read the article before you say something stupid and , well .... American ( they go hand in hand you know)

September 13, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |