September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Mariam

Ines Sainz is NOT former Miss Spain, she is mexican, married and mother of 3.

September 13, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • danielriquelme

born in Queretaro, MEXICO... she is married but I dont think she has kids... she is still a HOT MAMA THOUGH!!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. JWinPDX

GAH DERP, I'm a very attractive woman going into a men's locker room while wearing tight jeans, and a low cut blouse. Why for these men whistle and hoot at me?

First of all, it's a testosterone charged locker room, second of all you're dressed like a hoochie!

Women like this should be an insult to the gender. If you dress to get attention and you get that attention, DON'T COMPLAIN THAT YOU ARE GETTING THAT ATTENTION!!!! Don't want to get the attention that that kind of dress attracts? Then dress more professionally!! DERP!

DERP DERP DERP!

September 13, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JDawg1

They "hooted and hollered"?? Threw passes near her?? Wow. The face of feminism at its best.

September 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JDawg1

Man, you need a pair of pliers to get on those jeans.

September 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jadri

she is not dressing professionally to do her job.. she has peanuts on her head and the only way to justify her "space" in TV is trying to show her "hot" but nothing else.. TV Azteca´s main targeted market is low income people in Mexico and they think these consumers only car about girls dressing like "escorts"..

September 13, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Whizbang

She wants to be treated professionally...she should dress profesionally!

September 13, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. William Clarke

Women should not be in the lockerroom of men it's silly that they would even want to!

September 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MOMcasmi

No chicks in the locker room, duh! If you as a female go into a male locker room where testosterone levels are in the stratosphere you get what you get! Do your damn interview some place else. You aren't one of the guys and won't be treated like one nor will you be treated like a lady in places where men are getting naked. No self- respecting woman goes into a locker room expecting to be treated with respect. Get a clue, chickie. Obviously blessed with looks but not with brains

September 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jay

she is an idiot if she dresses like that she would get cat calls and whistles anywhere

September 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Doug

What ever happened to dressing as a profesional and anot a provocature?

September 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rick

Hey CNN, what's with your map when you show Sanchez...since when is Maine next to NY?? Give Vermont some love! (and NH) so this comment isn't about the article or football, but this is CNN; you should know your geography!

September 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Big D

This is so ridiculous. She covers soccer for third world countries and claims she has never been treated this poorly. Those damn Americans. They always are the most seem to act in the most inappropriate way. What a crock and poor Rick agrees. Gee, do you think if she wasn't Latin he would have even dealt with it? I stopped watching Rick when you let Dobb's go. Do you think anyone cares about Rick's list? He is just another arrogant liberal. Sorry, I watch up until he comes on. So sad, you've lost so many followers. Now Rick is giving a platform for Michael Moore. Bye.

September 13, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Strange1

Give me a break. Take a look at her pics. That girl struts her stuff. Don't tell me she wasn't enjoying the comments. Either this is a publicity stunt to get her name in the media, or some idiot in the entourage has a bad case of political correctness. If you don't want to lions to devour you, then don't go to the Serengeti wearing a meat dress.

September 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Noble9

It's called "locker room talk" for a reason.

September 13, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Keith

Women should not be allowed in the locker rooms anyway. That is rediculous, would they let a man in the women's locker rooms because he has a right to report sports news???? No. End of story.

September 13, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |