September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. swimtiger

That's a photo from 2007 Superbowl....Couldn't find anything from 2010.

September 13, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sprkat

This is ridiculous. I am disappointed that Sainz would put such focus on herself in this case. As a reporter you knowingly put yourself in compromising situations to get a story. She was walking into a testosterone pit – did she think it was a tea party?!

September 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john

how about a little respect for the guys and try wearing something more professional. Next thing you know guys wont be able to look at a girl at the beach its not appropriate. Woman want to be treated equal except in custody and divorce hearings. She is lucky she isn't in a muslim country she probably would be dead right now.

September 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JohninModesto

Joy Behar is a joke. If she were to listen objectively to her own interview she would cringe. In her intro she appropriately uses the word "alleged" since all of this has come from an unidentified colleague and Ines herself has no complaint. But, Ms. Behar's first question regarding "the ordeal" is "What sorts of bad behavior and comments were you subjected to?" which is assumptive and leading. And her second question is "Were you encouraged to call yourself the hottest reporter in Mexico?"...journalism at it's highest and best...ugh

September 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. B-Dog

If you don't want men to look/stare/make comments then DRESS DOWN. Anything you are showing is fair game sweetheart 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bubbanorth

Lets see, a hot girl wearing tight jeans in a MENS locker room. Here's a clue, stay out of the mens shower and locker room or shut up...

September 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jerry

WOODY JOHNSON ????? Are you pulling my chain?

September 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. shep

& what's she doing in a room of half naked men???

September 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

This just in, football players hit on hot woman. News at 11!

September 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JohnnyOnTheSpot

Give me a friggin' break. She is hot...knows it (cause she says she is)...wants the publicity...tweeted like a high school cheerleader....SHE ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tony Manero

Give me a break. This chick has a body built for racing, loves dressing provocatively, and hangs out in a locker room with half naked men. How can she not expect some banter? If the media will start being allowed into the dressing rooms of tennis stars Ana Ivanovic, Anna Kournikova or Maria Sharapova then things may be fair.

Regardless, women should be at home cooking and not in the work force.

September 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mia Hernandez

Your a jerk! Women are better at reporting than men could ever be !!!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake M

@Mia,

The issue is not whether men or women are better reporters but that women do not belong in the locker room at all. It should be a private place between coaches and players to plan, talk, discipline or celebrate. When the team is ready for an interview, they will exit the locker room.

It is so stupid that women reporters have any right to complain at all when they leave their public arena and enter into a private locker room. What's next? reporters complaining when they report on a story while inside somebody else's house ?

September 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Melissa

She dresses in a way that says she wants men to notice her, and then complains when they do. She doesn't dress like a grown up professional reporter should. She dresses like she's ready to work the streets at night.

September 13, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TryFocusing

Did she just say "my photographer" ?? She owns this person?
    Reason enough to dislike her right there.

September 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock God

How many people in TV say "My producer.." etc.? Give me a break.

September 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rock God

Right. Ines Sainz is famous for one thing. Her ass!

September 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Juan

Ines Sainz Gallo is from Queretaro Mexico, no Spain, that is another Ines Sainz. Also I watch tv Azteca all the time (big tv station in Mexico) and she has done the flirting type of journalism for ever. he always flirts. Why do you think she was wearing super tight pants

September 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |