September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Lady_Red_Porsche

I still don't understand what the big deal is. A woman is going to draw attention when she walks into a locker room whether she is dressed properly or not. If you don't want attention then cover your boobs and wear slacks. She is beautiful and everyone can see that..hell she was Miss Spain after all.

The other problem is that she didn't seem to mind the attention. Other people noticed it and thought they should say something in her defense. I am sure they were either (1) fat, (2) ugly or (3) jealous.

September 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Askgees

Great comment.

September 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Amen

September 14, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mikey C

Wait...did the Jets sign Zeke Mowatt?

September 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. 3crowfarm

Wow, we are in 2 wars, the economy is sucking the life out of us, but this tart is offended because football players oggled her? Now, this is news!

September 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Sillyness

Funny part is, the "tart" wasn't offended at all. She wasn't the one that complained. Matter of fact – she didn't even know she was offended until they called and told her. Go figure.

September 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ceecee

I'm glad othere were there. Hello, anybody home?

September 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. taxpaya

why is this a story, why is throwing balls at a girls feet harrasment? if they totally ignored her she would be upset too. u just cant win in this PC world we created!!!

September 13, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. armyscrogg

Looks to me that this is just a great opportunity for this Association of women sportscasters to get their name in the news. No one had even heard of them or cared who they were until they popped up here. I'll probably catch some crap over this but I don't want to hear a woman ( or a man that has never played) explain how to run an offense against a 3-4 defense. I want to hear Dan Marino or someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Not someone that is just there to look pretty and say whatever is told to them through their earpiece.

September 13, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

Not a Jets fan by far! However, by her own admission it was "not a big deal" and "didn't bother her". This is absolutely absurd.

September 13, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lars

It is idiotic for the former Miss Spain to be in the locker room of a male sports team. She owes no small part of her TV news career to her appearance, which is an image intended to attract male attention. There is no more testosterone-laden atmosphere than a sports environment. I don't want to hear any complaints from female reporters who are shocked by this. This is not news. She is an idiot, as are all who think her complaint is newsworthy.

September 13, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Calderon

Maybe they were calling her "mamacita!"

September 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnstamos

she is not former Miss Spain. CNN got it wrong. They are confusing her with another Ines Sainz that won Miss Spain in 1998. This one was born in Queretaro Mexico... just thought you guys wanted to know...

September 14, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mcboo

Yawn... Engineered Controversy Alert

Thanks CNN for yet another tale from the tabloids. With CNN & FOX as examples of how American stay "informed" & get their "news" it's small wonder that the avg. American is an idiot.

FYI – 1) women should not be in men's locker rooms period. Ever. 2) any person who uses being objectified to get notoriety, position & money – this is how shallow society is for supporting you & how shallow you are for going along for the ride. No surprises, no story – jocks & tarts, why are we surprised? And why do we hypocritically expect these ppl to be different, isn't this why we watch them? Of course it is.

September 13, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. penone

Out of alllll the pictures out there of her THIS is the one that CNN chooses?!?!? I like the picture the post has. She is hot!!! As for the Jets not being able to control themselves – ummm....these are FOOTBALL PLAYERS people!!! Testosterone?!?!? ANY straight (ie.normal!) man would want to get as close to her as possible – never mind a football player who has just taken a shot of steroids!

September 13, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

If she is that "delicate" she should stay out of the mens locker room.

September 13, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ichabod

This women is blood rushing hot...She is like extenze taken (pause) ocularly

September 13, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tom, Long Beach, California

stay out of the men's locker room little hodie and thsi will not happen even if it did........

September 13, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. j..e..t..s...

latest report is that she was touched by a 'woody johnson'

September 13, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dan Beach

It is funny..I see it every day women walk around in very short dresses or in very short shorts and when they notice you looking some start tugging down their garments like trying to hide something or give you an indignant stare back like how dare you look at my exposed A$$...well nature hardwired me this way so if they do not want men looking the don't show it...but please women who dress this way want the attention

September 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |