September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Bob

Roger that, PK California. Otherwise, men should be allowed into women team's locker room as they are showering. Let's wait and hear the outrage the first time that happens.

September 14, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gene

Is she too stupid to think something like this wouldn't happen. You ignorant tramp – stay out of the MEN'S LOCKERROOM.

September 14, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

Let's keep women out of men sports and the problem should go away. They are nice to look at sure, but men shouldn't have to be PC all the time, it's not the way we act.

September 14, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Justin (Michigan)

I want to know one thing. How does a woman expect to get treated dressed the way she was? For crying out loud she might as well as worn a bikini there. If you want to be treated professionally then dress like it but don't complain when you wear skin tight jeans and a shirt that looks like you came out of victoria secret and get comments from a group of guys. That's just the way it is. You won't see Joy Behar in that kind of outfit. She dresses more professionally and appropriate for her job. I'm not saying what they did was right but what she was wearing wasn't making a professional statement. It was a "Hey Look at Me!" statement.

September 14, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. David Mattheus

IT'S A MENS LOCKER ROOM FOR GOD'S SAKE...... KEEP THE GD WOMEN OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cathy

SHE offends me. Dress like a professional and you will get treated as such – dress like a ho and you will be treated as such

September 14, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Puffy

She should be mad at who ever did that terrible boob job the right side is by her shoulder

September 14, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jenny

I agree if you can't take the heat keep women out of the the MEN'S LOCKER ROOM! Come on people grow up and get over it!

September 14, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joshua

If you cannot handle the locker room then get the heck out. Grow up, you should be happy that someone actually gave you the time of day. The only reason that you are reporting the news is because you are somewhat attractive, otherwise you would be picking apples or cleaning carpets. Shut up, next story please. Idiot!

September 14, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. QMAX1234

This chick claims to be the hottest reporter on TV, she wears thongs and bikinis and now this is a news story? She's only doing this to further launch her career. I've seen tons of fine mexican women and none of them have to dress the way she does to get attention. STUPID STORY FOR A STUPID WOMAN WHO ONLY WANTS ATTENTION.

September 14, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

If you want to be treated like a professional, dress like one.

September 14, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. Oh Boys

1. A woman should be able to walk around the men's locker room dressed however she wants and be respected. Why? Because men need to practice a little self control, and they are public figures.
    2. She sounds like a double threat-intelligent and beautiful-and people should be happy for her success. Not jealous which is pretty apparent in these comments.
    3. She did the right thing by ignoring it. She probably gets treated this way all the time. Making a scene is not the way to handle that situation. She tried to focus on the task at hand and move on.

September 14, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sherry

I think this reporter should have known better. I am a woman, and in a perfect world, harrasment is not right in any form, but come on...wearing provacative clothing in a men's locker room and at men's sporting events is asking for men's taunting, period.

September 14, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. LEChakan

Idiot woman.

September 14, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. butch

Just another Mexi-ho looking for a Dirty Sanchez.

September 14, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |