September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Jesus of Nazareth

The real tragedy of this story is that it loses site of the bigger picture.

The Jet's suck, and harassing a cute reporter will not replace harassing the quarterback.

It's a shame we are talking about this and not what a colossal failure the Jets will be these season. After the Patriots next week they will be 0-2. J-E-T-S... SUCK SUCK SUCK

September 14, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rhutrho

And this is National level news why???? Come on America, put on your big kids underwear and freakin get over it!!!

September 14, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Doug

Wow, if all Mexican women looked like this then it would be Mexico with the border problem as all the males in American would be running down south.

Say what you want about her but she isn't an American woman. She isn't trying to play victim here, in fact it looks like its an ugly woman who created this controversy, not Ines.

September 14, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dennis L

I guess the ability to think and take responsibility for one's action is not a requirement for all journalist in Mexico. This is just one example of how some of the media think they can do and say anything they want. GET REAL LADY!

September 14, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steve in CT

These guys just came in from practice playing football. an act that by it's very nature pumps testerone. She should realize she's expecting them to go against their God given nature because she insists to go into that environment.If she doesn't want the result keep out of the environment and interview outside.

September 14, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pat

She might have looked good but she was probably dressed inappropriately for interviewing in a men's locker room where some of the men are walking around naked. I just saw an interview she did with Joy Behar and there she was with her size 40DD puppies pushed up against each other and poking out of her size 2 top. If she were near any small children, they would probably think it's feeding time. Most men were not listening to what she had to say, they were probably too busy looking at her chest. I'm not a prude, but c'mon ladies, have some pride and dignity about yourselves! After seeing her interview, I still don't consider her a serious reporter. Anyway, why are women allowed in men's locker rooms? Are male reporters allowed in women's locker rooms? I agree that a separate room should be set up for interviews when the athletes are fully dressed and there can be no misunderstanding about what's taking place. I don't believe this is her first time at the rodeo.

September 14, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. MAS

The bloggers who have dissected this 50-50 are correct,in my opinion.The keyword here is PROFESSIONAL.The players are being paid to play,therefore have a responsibility to behave professionally.Ms.Sainz,(apparantly) was there in a professional capacity as a paid reporter,therefore should dress..professionally.My daughter is currently a Sr in college,majoring in Comm,wanting to be a PROFESSIONAL sports reporter and currently does color analysis for her college football team.From day ONE,I have preached professionalism in actions,deeds and DRESS.The women who dare to enter this male dominated must want,earn and demand respect.

September 14, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. princess

While I find that men can be outlandish...I do find it unacceptiable for women to be allowed in the locker room while the men are dressing/undressing. Hello? ALL reporters should have to be outside of said lockerroom for interviews and such.

September 14, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. njacres

Get this idiot publicity seeking idiot out of the news! "My body been bery bery good to me!" Who cares. No matter how hot she is, someone somewhere is really tired of her crap.

September 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dcali 1

She was wearing booty jeans and most people today know exactly what they are and the motivation behind wearing them.
    I want to see a photo of the woman who actually got in her business and file the complaint.

September 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Female Guest

She needs to button her blouse and stop dressing like she just walked out of the Bunny Ranch. As Wanda Sykes once sang, "Boobs out ya blouse, Boobs out ya blouse, looking like a FOOL with ya boobs out ya blouse".
    If a woman respects herself then so will everyone else.

September 14, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dcali 1

Men reporters should be allowed in the women's lockeroom also.
    I was listening to Tamron Hall on MSNBC yesterday. Yeah Tamron, you're fine too but when you said Whatever a woman wears should be respected is too much!
    Take a page from the book of Rock !
    Chris Rock said and i agree, " She may not be a HO, but she's wearing the uniform of one "
    She's not a HO but she's wearing clothes that are designed to bring comments and she's acting like she doesn't know it.

September 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jack Enhauf

Had to google this chick ...for research. She is pretty hot – and dresses like it. She has absolutely no right to complain when she gets attention. She is a publicity seeking hypocrite.

sportsroids [ dot com ] /wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jeans_ines_sainz.jpg

September 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Glammymac

Let's get serious. She was in that locker room looking for her next paycheck. A rich Baby Daddy or 15 minutes of fame. She got her 15 minutes. Now let's bury this story please. She is obnoxious.

September 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mamagacho

It must be so hard to be pretty, getting all that attention and all. That poor thing. She should get a medal for all she has to put up with..

September 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |