September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. J. Sel

If I am reading this correctly, the reporter is not making the accusation, some one else is. Probably a fat, ugly chick.

September 13, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan Beach

Good call

September 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nick

This just in! Women are only involved in men's sports professionally BECAUSE they are hot. Sorry to offend all you ladies who think it has something to do with their masterful journalistic prowess. Some ugly lesbian in a rights movement is jealous that she didn't get any footballs thrown her direction.

September 13, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan Beach

True and it is not like anyone ask to smell her koooch...

September 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Garry

When did Ben Rothelisberger get traded to the Jets?

September 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ez take out burger temecula

Because it was done in public its called joking... if it was behind closed doors then we can talk.

September 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Riel23

I can guarantee you that if she was some ugly middle aged woman with a cane that no one would even raise the issue of harassment. Taliban mentality here.

September 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. slavedriver57

What time is the game tonight? That's right after the ESPN Monday Night Whiners finish their onslaught of the alleged incident. I guess the game isn't important.

September 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john

BFD THIS WORLD NEEDS TO GET A GRIP

September 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOTX

Couldnt agree more

September 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robin

She obviously doesn't feel harassed so why blow it up? Anything for a story...

September 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hey You

Perhaps women should stay out of MEN'S lockerrooms.

September 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. vman

I mean harrasment is too much of course, and I am not in anyway approveing that. But common! Can you blame the guys too get excited around her? She is way to hot for the football field, and in general just to be around men in tights. Im not so sure how serious those actions were anyways, I think she might have taken herself a little too serious. She should cover Hollywood stories, or quit working all together and start enjoying her life as she deserves it a MAYAN QUEEN!
    Ines Sainz please Marry ME!

September 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • vman

sorry for the spelling mistakes..approving/blaming the gusy for getting too excited around her...
      either way, Ines Sainz will you marry me?

September 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andy

Typical Jets.............Idiots from the Head coach on down..........

September 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HerAssMent

This is news? She"s hot,get over it.Who is the person complaining,thats what i would like to know.It isnt the reporter,probable just some moron who has a vendetta against men !!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

Did we all miss something? “I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" The reporter did not file any kind of complaint and she personally does not believe anything innappropriate happened. Perhaps the other media were offended that Sainz was getting attention and they were not? It's NFL football, not the Cat Fanciers of America! The rest of the world needs to take a cue from the obviously professional Ms. Sainz and hitch up their britches and get on with their lives!

September 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jose

Am I missing something here? Some one else makes a claim of harassment for her and she's the supposed victim! Who are these gutless wonders? If she was so harassed and abused why did not this international nit wit know she was being subjected to verbal and apparently physical abuse! This is a non story! This is an attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Terps6

The other members of the media need to find something better to do. It was playful, she saw it that way, and no matter what you do someone is always going to mumble something under their breath that others just need to ignore. From her comments she seems to understand the playful nature od the situation and that 'boys will be boys'. Certainly there was no physical inapporpriate behavior. For Gods sake have some of you out there gotten so politically correct and humorless that the slightest thing offends you and you have to have an accusation of harassment. BTW who made the accusation? If she was the target and not offended where is the beef coming from? And dont dismiss the self-promotion angle either. Not necessarily her either. BTW she is HOT!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |