September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Lis

Women face these kinds of crude remarks and behaviors all the time – in the locker, on the street, everywhere...it's disgusting – and unacceptable. Do any of you dumb men ever stop and wonder...hey, this is someone's daughter, wife, mother?? No, you just think you need to prove to the world that you are a "man"....and by degrading women, you are some how accomplishing that. Sickening really!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kadie

Yeah women face these kind of remarks all the time...but if she doesn't expect it when she goes into a locker room full of football players dressed like that, then she's a moron. There is a difference between being harassed while you're in the office and when you're on a football field. She want to be taken seriously yet she wears this stuff and parades through a locker room. I wonder how the female athletes of the world would react if a guy dressed showing stuff off walked into THEIR locker room. Double standard goes both ways

September 13, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MXD

The way she looks she's lucky to have gotten out of the locker room without getting pregnant.

September 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jon

Never ceases to amaze me... She wasn't bothered by it, but someone else jumps up to make an issue. So... are we going to go after Corona beer next for their new commercial where the guy throws the football by the attractive girl on the beach so he can go flirt. Shame on you Corona for depicting a young man harassing that girl!!!
    Really? Come on, this should not even be a story.

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cinny

True what you wear should not have anything to do with how you are treated. However, it doesn't seem that she was treated any worse than how the guys are treated. And when you are around a bunch of sports jocks you have to expect some ribbing, some foul language, etc. She didnt press charges someone else came forward so who really knows the true story? She wasnt touched, she wasnt ridiculed, she wasnt cursed at, so what happened? Its probably all hearsay.....

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George

I give this advice to my 20 and 19 daughters frequently:

Dress, speak, act like a BIMBO and you will be treated like a BIMBO. Dress, speak and act like a professional and you will be treated as a professional.

I wish it isn't so but it is and always will be.

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MarciaMarcia

More than likely the complaint is coming from a jealous woman who was upset that this INCREDIBLY HOT woman was getting all of the attention.

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

For those of you idiots claiming she is from Central America – like this is an exceptable behavior there. The fact is she is from Spain (Europe) and she works in Mexico. If the Jets behaved badly – they should be dealt with accordingly. If not, move on and lets play the Ravens! After all the reporter didn't make it an issue until the NFL contacted her.

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MXD

To Lis – you CAN'T be that ignorant of the relationship between male athletes and attractive women, especially one as HOT as this one? Please read most of the post here – they're dead on – she's in this position cause she's HOT – she LOVES this kind of attention – that's what keeps her employed! Quick watching "Lifetime" and get real.

September 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HIGHROLLER

there should not be any women doing iterviews or anything else in male 's locker room-period I've never been so fed up with women in all my life on men sports shows.Let them handle the female sports and this stuff wouldn't happen.Men don't go into womens locker rooms that i know of if they do I want a job interviewing them i bet i want be harrassed holly cow man wouldn't that be great,(get along little doggie) ha-ha

September 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jay Z

All I have to say is....if you dress professionally then you will be treated as a professional!!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bigfathopper

Hmmm why do television networks have hotties on the sideline? So they are ignored?

September 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. paarty time

if you are going to be around apes, then expect to be treated like one. a football arena is no place for a woman dressed like a #lut.

September 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

this is the same "reporter" that wore a wedding dress and proposed to Tom Brady not too long ago.

September 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jesus

my heart bleeds for you... a woman in a guys locker room... you deserve everything you get... how about I do interview in the shower the Miss Spain locker room. I am a professional i promise...

September 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pacoatemiami

She didn't complain and she wasn't offended. Why blame her at all? Blame the eggshell bystander that got offended.

September 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. paarty time

you want to be in men's entertainment or sportscasting it goes with the territory. you're not covering the christian or religious movement. if you want to be in the spotlight DEAL WITH IT.

September 13, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |