September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. butlerbulldawg74

i would hit that every day of the week.

September 13, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Aaron

Hey idiot media hacks, stop crying. If it wasn't for the talents of real people that you leech off of none of you would be anything. You are all a bunch of talentless, self-righteous, hypocritical, crybabies.

September 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JOTX

This might be the stupidest thing I've ever read that was considered to be newsworthy....honestly this is harassment? I'm so sick of this over the top political correctness, sue happy mindset and bleeding heart liberalism that's permeating this country. Honestly people, grow up, get a backbone and laugh every once in a while....I'm such a proud American but this country is becoming weaker and weaker because of people who think this type of stuff is worthy of an investigation....get a freaking life!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stony

So wait.. They may have thrown a football near her? That's the complaint? Or someone else heard something inappropriate said about her? (which she, herself, didn't hear) What a lame story. People need to really get some thicker skin.

And to the simpletons using terms like "overpaid athletes," "millionaires playing a boy's game," get a life. It's so obvious to most people that you are just bitter about your own pathetic existence compared to these athletes. Losers.

September 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Welcome to the NFL

September 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zane Wallace

I certainly don't think she should have been harassed but it seems like women like to have it both ways. Women can dress however they want in order to garner attention from men the themselves, but the moment they get it they claim harassment. If she had been wearing more conservative clothing she wouldn't have been noticed.
    I wonder what all of you would say if some grotesque overly hairy obese stinking man wearing nothing but a speedo went to interview contestants at Miss America Pageant had compalined he was asked to leave because of his inappropriate dress? I doubt many of you femanists would take his side that he should be able to dress however he likes.
    After going online and looking at her photos I would have to conclude that she is probably NOT a serious journalist, because if she was she wouldn't need to dress like she is still in college and on perpetual spring break.

September 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ines Sainz is an idiot

lets see you show up to a locker room with 53 some men in there and no one is going to look at you ? what kind of stupid chick is this... this is a male dominated sport... deal with it !

September 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ines Sainz is an idiot

If she doesn't like then she can go report on Women's figure skating or men's figure skating

September 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cherrypieguy

Well here we go again.....Another chick reporter that is insensed about a man's behavior that is involved in Professional sports. Get yer pretty little *%$#& out of the mans locker room. The last thing I want to hear is a female reporters voice while watching a football game. Everyone I know hits the mute when ever a female reporter tries to ask one of the players some hard hitting question concerning the game. GET OUT OF THE GAME OF FOOTBALL GIRLS AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BEING EYEBALLED.

September 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason Storms

Hey, isn't this the same "reporter" who proposed to Tom Brady during Super Bowl media day a few years ago? And, if so, why do we take any of this seriously? I mean, shouldn't a reporter at any football related event actually cover the sport and not the sideshow? In the end, she probably intended the kind of reaction she got, as she is apparently more interested in the spotlight that sports journalism.

September 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nora

No, that was Ines Gomez Mont.

September 13, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SickofThem

J-R-K-S Jerks, Jerks, Jerks! The New York Jerks!

September 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bill

Such a not story. The woman did not even know anything happened nor was she offended.

BTW – Jets are CRAZY over – rated. They were barely .500 last year and made it in the playoffs because the Colts laid down their last game. Bet the Jets will not win 8 games all year.

September 13, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aaron

If you dress hot and are showing lots of skin you have no right whatsoever to expect men not to notice and make it known to you that they are noticing, period.

September 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nick

Its only a story because Rothlesbuger hasn't done anything recently. Its stupid. She would have to feel like she was harrassed, and then press charges. But she's not. So whats the big deal? Get over it and watch some football.

September 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Reese

Do other female/male reporters usually wear string top tank tees 2 sizes too small and hip hugging jeans?

September 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cherrypieguy

Hey chickey poos, keep yer butts and especially yer shapley butts out of the mens locker room period. I've noticed alot of the women posting messages are saying the men should be acting a certain way when a female is in the locker room. Get over it sushi suzies................and get out of Men's Professional sports. No one except the F.L.F wants to hear what you have to say!

September 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |