September 14th, 2010

Eiffel Tower, park evacuated for bomb threat

The Eiffel Tower and the park around it were evacuated Tuesday night after a telephoned bomb threat, police said.

The police press office said the alert, which was reported at 8:20 p.m. (2:20 p.m. ET), was being treated as a routine occurrence and was being investigated to determine whether the threat was real.

Some 2,000 people were in the area when the evacuation was ordered, police said, according to BFM-TV . Also evacuated were a number a nearby apartment buildings and businesses, according to news reports.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: France
  1. kanbuffalo

A symbol agains another symbol........

September 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • kanbuffalo

againsts.... sorry

September 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Herman

perhaps it has to do with the illegal deportation of the Roma gypsy's from France

September 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

No, they wouldn;t blow it up. They would toss it a baby and run off with its luggage.

September 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alisha

Why would you make a comment like that about someone? That's very rude and uncalled for

September 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. smjjames

The fact that the police press said it was 'routine' sounds a bit strange. I mean, theres always the crazies, but to say that this situation is routine just seems out of place to me.

September 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bonnetwagon

I bet Muslims are behind this because of that pastor in FL.

September 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gretchen

Really? Maybe you should check the news again...France has banned burkas...btw, why would they take anger about an extremist man w/ 50 followers out on France of all places?! LOL

September 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonnetwagon

@ Gretchen LOL didn't you watch the news sister ? They rioted all over the world.

September 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Burt

In the name of Allah,,,,,,, why don't the muslims all form their own country where burkas, sword branishing, death by stoning and other acts in the name of Allah are a way of life. Oh yea sounds like IRAN, All rag heads on the boat to IRAN.

September 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • smjjames

Well, IF its muslim related, they certainly aren't helping their image any.

September 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonnetwagon

Lets take up a collection and send them OUT.

September 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

Eh, I'd rather deport stupid ignorant people.

September 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve

America F yeah! go in and save the mf'ing day now, yeah! Send in Team America.

September 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steve

Derka. Derka derka.

September 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. choe_mu_seon

Don't agree with the burqa ban? Plant some bombs!

September 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonnetwagon

I think the mood of the American people is "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore" we know who we're at war with.

September 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dan

yip... its 100% because of the Burka ban. Unless it is actually about to fall.. and the only way to get insurance money is to scream terrorist threat.

September 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

This just in.....threat called off after entire French Police surrendered to the Muslim nation at the first sign of conflict.

September 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • PCola Vet

Michael, the French are pretty hard core on their stance with their laws. The more violence that comes from the radicals is just going to do one thing, and that's turn the ENTIRE non-Muslim world against ALL Muslims, whether they're moderates or not. They really need to show the world that they're against the rads, or it's going to hurt all of them.

September 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

i'm pretty certain that was just a French surrender joke.

September 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Hey Michael...maybe you know. What happened with the guy in Australia? He supposedly was rolling cigarettes with bible pages and koran pages, and smoking them. Now we all know is ok to burn the bible....but the KORAN????????!!!!!!!! Has anyone killed him yet?

September 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alec

Rise of Cobra!

September 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BB

It's either their way or the high way– violence especially in the Middle East will ensue. That's the Muslim way because they believe they are always right. They are above all other people and religion.

The same thing is happening in NY. The Imam said it's boon for Al Queda if the Islamic center is relocated. So it's either his way or the high way– violence especially in the Middle East will ensue. That's the Muslim way because they believe they are always right. They are above all other people and religion. Now they are dictating what governments in their host countries will do.

September 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

I gained some respect for Donald Trumpwhen he offered a small fortune to one of the partners in that deal so that they could get property elsewhere. He saw the conflict and wanted to end it. good going Donald!

September 14, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. >>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow...

September 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gabagabago

Not a mention of who did it and already you pinheads are using it to lash out against muslims and islam in general.

September 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • LB Colorado

SHUT UP, Muslims are not "nice" people, they are not a peace people. I have not met any muslim that has any joy or peace or is willing to help another person of non muslim. ISLAM IS NOT GOD, IS THE VERY OPPOSITE.

September 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

@LB ~ Then you need to get out more. I've known and met MANY muslims who were perfectly "normal" people without the hate and anger element. I agree that perhaps people are rushing to judgement on who's responsible, but it's not a big leap to think it's Muslims behind this since the burqa ban has passed in parliment.

September 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chocolate Ice

I'm a perfectly normal American teenager. I go to school, I listen to music, I go to the movies with my friends, and I go grocery shopping with my mom at Wal-Mart. I watch football on Sundays and I love dr.pepper. My dad reads the newspaper, my mom cooks fried chicken, and I chat with friends on facebook. I'm also extremly terrified of terrorists.
      Did I mention I was a Muslim?

September 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |