September 14th, 2010

Eiffel Tower, park evacuated for bomb threat

The Eiffel Tower and the park around it were evacuated Tuesday night after a telephoned bomb threat, police said.

The police press office said the alert, which was reported at 8:20 p.m. (2:20 p.m. ET), was being treated as a routine occurrence and was being investigated to determine whether the threat was real.

Some 2,000 people were in the area when the evacuation was ordered, police said, according to BFM-TV . Also evacuated were a number a nearby apartment buildings and businesses, according to news reports.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: France
  1. Corkpuller

If they can't where Burkas or cover their faces how will they cover the bruises from the beatings they get from their husbands. Nice peaceful loving people.

September 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. An American

Lets see No Birka No Eiffel No religion of peace. Anymore lies these wack jobs want to spew before they continue to take over the world.

September 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CJ

So is it REALLY Muslims, or is it just someone wanting everyone to think the Muslims are behind it to continue to stir the pot? I'm thinking it's the latter! It's too predictable.

September 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • smjjames

Hard to tell, but it seems too much like a coincidence to be unrelated to the burqa ban ruling.

September 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

I'm not saying it's not related to the ban–I agree, it's most likely related to the ban. This would be the perfect time (i.e., in retaliation of an act "against Islam") for someone wanting to put Muslims in a bad/worse light to pull a stunt like this.

September 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

On the other hand I'm not saying it's NOT a Muslim extremist group either. It could go either way–a real Muslim extremist group retaliating against the ban, or a group that wants it to LOOK like Muslims are retaliating so they can stir the pot and justify further actions against Muslims.

September 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BB

Lindsay

Eh, I'd rather deport stupid ignorant people.

You're the ignoramous here. Ive got families that work in the middle east. if you're not muslim, you're treated like crapola. They don't like you just because you want to hold hands with them and sing kumbaya or hike near the Iranian border in the name of flowers and love.

September 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

if your family works in the middle east then they are in THEIR country. THEIR rules apply. we are discussing behavior in the free world, not their own playpin.

September 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Behebbak

Islamic extremists are retaliating over the new burqa/veil ban.

September 14, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. East and West

For a religion of peace, Muslims appear pretty violent. The true, peaceloving Muslims need to stand up NOW and object or get lumped with the radical warmongers. Too bad their Ayatollahs taught them that infantile temper tantrums (in this case, possibly because of France's burkha law) are a legitimate avenue of expression and that that violence is the way. Too bad the politically-correct western world reinforces those messages by refusing to learn more about Muslim ideology to get to the heart of the issue.

September 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. civicminded

I think I saw this in 'Superman II'! Just don't throw the bomb into outer space 'cuz it'll shatter the Phantom Zone!!!

September 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. FlyGrl

The Muslims really are digging a deeper hole for themselves. I don't think they realize exactly what they will be dealing with. Truly.

September 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PCola Vet

We could all be wrong about this having to do with the Burkha ban, but if it does, these people are going to have to realize that you don't go into another country and make the rules, you shut up, and adapt, or leave.

September 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • FlyGrl

Agreed. Hopefully the US and Canada follow suit!

September 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

I hope the US and Canada do NOT follow suit. I don't need the government dictating to me and my children how we can dress. PERIOD. Like that ban on "saggy" pants in Dublin Georgia. I might not want to see some G-Loc Money's boxers, but I do NOT want the government to tell me to pull my pants up. NOT their job.

September 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

oh, forgot this part: you do realize there are muslims that live in France that were born there and their families have been there for generations, right? not ALL muslims just moved there....

September 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Moni

Let's just hope that the bomb threat is a hoax and the people responsible be caught and punished.

September 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ohyeah

It it is real, my guess is the guys of religion of peace is responsible for it. They would say it is linked to burqa ban.
    Try research them more at 'the religion of peace dot com'

September 14, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jailys

I would believe this threat has something to do with the ban over the burka. But then again, how can we know?
    We've had many bomb threats over the years here in France (since the Madrid attacked -we were supposed to be attacked right after that) and nothing happened as for now. I just hope this isn't going to change. I know how bad we all felt after the 9/11 tragedy -even without being american- and I don't want to experience it further. Why don't they just try to befriend other countries and populations instead of threatening them is beyond me. It would make everything so much easier.

September 14, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sandraaaaa

omg i live here!!! and the eiffel is not that far from me. I deff think it has to do with the law that was passed today. I hope nothing happens, though. This is kinda scary.

September 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • PCola Vet

Be vigilant Sandra, this could all be nothing, or it could be the start of something big, I hope not.

September 14, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joseph Bianco

Maybe one of those oil sheiks didn't like his lunch at the Tour d'Argent.

September 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anonymous1

The Islamic people have to understad that when they come to a new country the contry is different then what theirs was like. I believe that some of their cultures should only be practiced in their side of the world. They shouldn't be bringing their religion and their culture over to other countries it's just wrong. I strongly believe in free rights and all but this one has gone to far. 9/11 was caused by this kind of stupidity. All of thoose terrorist who drove the planes were trained in america by americans. If they weren't in that contry what would be the odds of 9/11 happening? Islamic people should stay in their contry and if they want to move here let go of your cultures and beliefs and start a new one. The rest of the world will not embark on your stupid Ala crap!

September 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

"They shouldn't be bringing their religion and their culture over to other countries it's just wrong." Hahahaha Tell that to the pilgrims!

September 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |