September 16th, 2010

Killer: Lennon's murder meant 'I would become somebody'

Mark David Chapman, left, and John Lennon.

The man who shot John Lennon told a parole board this week that he killed the star because he wanted "instant notoriety."

"I made a horrible decision to end another human being's life, for reasons of selfishness, and that was my decision at that time," Mark David Chapman said.

"I felt that by killing John Lennon I would become somebody, and instead of that I became a murderer and murderers are not somebodies."

Chapman said Lennon was at the top of his celebrity hit list which included Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor. He's been in prison for 29 years. He was denied parole on Tuesday.

Read Chapman's own words about the slaying

Post by:
Filed under: John Lennon • New York
  1. Dubya=god

29 years already. Time to turf his ass out on the street. I'll hire him. He can clean my gun collection.

September 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pod

yeah, no doubt on his name not being etched in peoples minds....i had a convo the other day when "Lennon's Killer" was up for parole again and nobody could cough up this kooks name! JFK's killer, np, but this idiot, nope...he's a no name, nobody.

September 16, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mehdi General Dr Bad

message blocked.

September 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eydie

John was a very special person n my life cause of IMAGINE. Man, what a song! A classic! RIP JOHN!!

September 16, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian

You know, I hate to be "that guy," but I think he has served his time for 2nd degree murder.

September 16, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Screw

Damn straight.

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Brian, YOU are an IDIOT!!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dave

hey fat boy, u want 2 b famous, u can hang on deezz nutz for what u did, 2 me John Lennon was 2 me was a great insperation as a writer, singer, and a man of peace who just like the son of god who was taken way b 4 his time, an i hope u rott 4 what u did. And I hope ur name is never heard from again!!!

September 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rottter

At least Lennon was literate. You're not. In fact, you're quite stupid. Aren't you?

September 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TransWarpDrive

So Mark Chapman thought that by killing John Lennon, he'd become "somebody." What do you know – that's the same reason Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan each gave for killing Jack and Bobby Kennedy.

September 16, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Liv

John Lennon will forever be the best. They should never let this animal out on the street. And I hope this sack of @*#$ never, ever gets out. Everytime I hear Lennon's music, I'm inspired by his art & then get upset because he got taken away from us way too early. All together now, all you need is love :o)

September 17, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • King of Men

Whenever I hear Lennon's drivel, I'm inspired to leave my wife and kids.

September 18, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. keni

So he wanted to be some one... Well it works some one everyone hates! Maybe he is being denied for his own safty.

September 17, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Help here

Hey guys, will you visit SaveStan.ORG a friend of mine with 4 young babies is fighting for his life…… thanks.

September 17, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. punkkitty

2the guy who said druggies r worthless-just like some1 else said; what have u done that makes u so much better than every1 else? shame on u 4being so judgemental. drug addiction effects all kinds of ppl &many of them r good ppl who just get cought up in this horrible affliction-no1 wants 2b an addict, it just happens. &its incredably hard2break free. show some compassion!

September 17, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • King of Men

Save your texting for your fellow teen-age semen guzzlers.

September 18, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Walter

punkkitty are you on crack or something? What the hell are you talking about? And kudos on the excellent spelling!

Chapman wanted attention. We should not give it to him each and every year. He should just wither away in jail and think about what he did until his sorry ass life is over!

September 17, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brian

It should have been McCartney-Lennon

September 17, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Lamb

Omit Lennon, and you've nailed it.

September 18, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Carl

And he DID become somebody...a LIFER

September 17, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. Matt

Actually, from what I've read – he was a major Beatles fan and a nut who thought he had established some kind of relationship with John Lennon – and when he went to NY and John didn't acknowledge their friendship, he killed him. Also read that he thought HE was the "real" John Lennon and the actual John was an imposter and thus needed to be killed. His explaination above sounds entirely too rational and if in fact he was rational, he should have fried. Although I suppose NY doesn't have the death penalty.

September 17, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |